Old 11-01-2008, 05:29 PM
"Diogo Böhm"

Default Restricted Drivers module won't download nVidia drivers.

I've upgraded my Hardy Heron system to Intrepid this morning, through mounting an Alternate CD image in. Followed the process and restarted.
Once back, only one of my two displays was detected, and the restricted drivers module informed there were drivers to be installed. I get in it, select the nVidia 177 driver (the recommended one) and clicked on "activate". It then asked my password, to install the driver. I typed it in, correcly. It then started downloading. The meter runs from one side to other, but won't go over 0%, and after it closes with no notice. No drivers are installed.

What can I do?

My graphics card is a nVidia GeForce 6200 and I use two monitors in it, no workarounds needed since Ubuntu 7.04.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:38 PM
"Diogo Böhm"

Also, opened it on a terminal, the output was this one:

Traceback (most recent call last):
* File "/usr/bin/jockey-gtk", line 351, in on_button_toggle_clicked
*** 'toggle', False):
* File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/jockey/ui.py", line 589, in set_handler_enable

*** handler_id, enable)
* File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/jockey/backend.py", line 117, in polkit_auth_wrapper
*** return fn(*args, **kwargs)
* File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/jockey/backend.py", line 87, in dbus_sync_call_signal_wrapper

*** raise _h_exception_exc
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)

Old 11-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Karl Larsen

Diogo Böhm wrote:
> I've upgraded my Hardy Heron system to Intrepid this morning, through
> mounting an Alternate CD image in. Followed the process and restarted.
> Once back, only one of my two displays was detected, and the restricted
> drivers module informed there were drivers to be installed. I get in it,
> select the nVidia 177 driver (the recommended one) and clicked on
> "activate". It then asked my password, to install the driver. I typed it in,
> correcly. It then started downloading. The meter runs from one side to
> other, but won't go over 0%, and after it closes with no notice. No drivers
> are installed.
>
> What can I do?
>
> My graphics card is a nVidia GeForce 6200 and I use two monitors in it, no
> workarounds needed since Ubuntu 7.04.

My Intrepid first boot with a GeForce6100 got those exact results. I
fear your in the same boat with me. We will just have to wait in Hardy
until someone has time to fix the kernel and Intrepid.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-01-2008, 08:28 PM
"Garry Burgess"

try:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings

and

sudo nvidia-xconfig

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Diogo Böhm <zeekay.diogo@googlemail.com> wrote:

Also, opened it on a terminal, the output was this one:

Traceback (most recent call last):

* File "/usr/bin/jockey-gtk", line 351, in on_button_toggle_clicked
*** 'toggle', False):
* File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/jockey/ui.py", line 589, in set_handler_enable

*** handler_id, enable)
* File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/jockey/backend.py", line 117, in polkit_auth_wrapper
*** return fn(*args, **kwargs)
* File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/jockey/backend.py", line 87, in dbus_sync_call_signal_wrapper

*** raise _h_exception_exc
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")-(")

Old 11-02-2008, 04:40 AM
"David Fox"

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> My Intrepid first boot with a GeForce6100 got those exact results. I
> fear your in the same boat with me. We will just have to wait in Hardy
> until someone has time to fix the kernel and Intrepid.

I didn't have that problem, fortunately. I had other problems -
including having to run dpkg -configure -a after rebooting the box in
the middle of a distribution upgrade to intrepid earlier today. Seems
that for some reason first kded went down (doing the adept_updater in
kde4.1 on hardy) and then my screen went down while it was configuring
packages. I heard the drive going on and off but there was no other
confirmation that there was active things being done.

And then I had to run aptitude update and aptitude upgrade a few times
to get all the packages installed for the distrbution upgrade. I had
troubles with amarok (fixed now) but it removed a lot of kde in the
process . I lost ksirc (no candidate for install) and replaced that
task with konversation. I also had to reload amarok and a few other
things. This will probably get sorted out in the process over the next
few weeks.

But the nvidia was a breeze, once all the packages got downloaded and
everything was configured. It got 177 right off and installed it.

It does fix two nagging problems that I had reported earlier on this
list - first, I don't have to do that extra step of insmod'ing the
driver manually, since the machine no longer boots in low-resolution
mode (although the resolution is a bit lower than I would like).

I also noticed that early on kde would not come up on the ubuntu
splash/login screen. Currently I am in gnome as a fallback position. I
will have to check to see if kde will start up - it probably did not
because not all of the updates were in place.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:17 PM
"Diogo Böhm"

For me it is now fixed.

I just ran update-manager and did the requested "partial update". Took some time, installed some new stuff in it, but works like a charm now.

Good luck, if you guys still need anything, just keep mailing!

Diogo~