Old 11-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Curtis Vaughan

Default Ubuntu upgrade gone bad

Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> Curtis Vaughan wrote:
>> I was updating to 8.10 from Hardy Heron. It was already installing the
>> software (so it was nearing completion) when I lost power. Now the
>> computer won't boot. I don't remember the exact error, but something
>> to the effect that something's wrong with the kernel.
>> I decided to download the 8.10 CD, but it turns out there is no
>> recovery mode on it. I'm wondering what actions I can take to restore
>> something so I can complete the update.
>>
>> Thanks for any input!
>>

> First there is a fine recovery function on the 8.10 LiveCD but it is
> not what you need.
>
> Your problem I can't understand at all. It sounds like you were
> Updating the 8.10 when power dropped. That should not be a problem. So
> what really happened?

So in the first place I went to various articles on the Internet, some of
which talked about a recovery option on previous Ubuntu disks. But at the
boot prompt for of the disk I pushed Help and went to the recovery help page
and it said specifically that this disk does not contain a recovery
function. Something to that effect. I just downloaded 8.10 disk yesterday.

I'm updating my MacBook Ubuntu. Unfortunately, this computer's battery will
maybe last 5 minutes. And unfortunately, it came unplugged. So my computer
lost all power. When I tried to boot, it wouldn't.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Karl Larsen

Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
>

>> Curtis Vaughan wrote:
>>
>>> I was updating to 8.10 from Hardy Heron. It was already installing the
>>> software (so it was nearing completion) when I lost power. Now the
>>> computer won't boot. I don't remember the exact error, but something
>>> to the effect that something's wrong with the kernel.
>>> I decided to download the 8.10 CD, but it turns out there is no
>>> recovery mode on it. I'm wondering what actions I can take to restore
>>> something so I can complete the update.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any input!
>>>

>> First there is a fine recovery function on the 8.10 LiveCD but it is
>> not what you need.
>>
>> Your problem I can't understand at all. It sounds like you were
>> Updating the 8.10 when power dropped. That should not be a problem. So
>> what really happened?
>>

> So in the first place I went to various articles on the Internet, some of
> which talked about a recovery option on previous Ubuntu disks. But at the
> boot prompt for of the disk I pushed Help and went to the recovery help page
> and it said specifically that this disk does not contain a recovery
> function. Something to that effect. I just downloaded 8.10 disk yesterday.

I have the 8.10 LiveCD I got around a week ago and it has everything
the older LiveCD have. I think it will serve you well as a recovery from
a Grub problem.

> I'm updating my MacBook Ubuntu. Unfortunately, this computer's battery will
> maybe last 5 minutes. And unfortunately, it came unplugged. So my computer
> lost all power. When I tried to boot, it wouldn't.

Well there are two things I know nothing about here. I have never
even seen a MacBook and surprised you got Ubuntu loaded. If the battery
is good for 5 minutes I never want to see it either :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 11:23 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Updating the 8.10 when power dropped. That should not be a problem.

It can very well be a problem if it happens at the wrong time.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:51 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 17:15 +0000, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> ow the
> computer won't boot. I don't remember the exact error, but something
> to the effect that something's wrong with the kernel.

Can you go to the Grub boot loader menu (you might have to press ESC
during boot after the BIOS is done; watch the top of the screen for the
info)? If so, can you choose your previous kernel to boot?

Old 11-01-2008, 04:52 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 12:15 PM, Curtis Vaughan <cavaughan@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was updating to 8.10 from Hardy Heron. It was already installing the
> software (so it was nearing completion) when I lost power. Now the
> computer won't boot. I don't remember the exact error, but something
> to the effect that something's wrong with the kernel.
> I decided to download the 8.10 CD, but it turns out there is no
> recovery mode on it. I'm wondering what actions I can take to restore
> something so I can complete the update.
>
> Thanks for any input!

Wow - that's sticky. I would try booting from a live CD (any should
do, but 8.04 or 8.10 might be best).

Then, mount your old root partition and use the chroot command to
chroot to your old / filesystem. Then I would take a peek at your apt
sources list and see if it's already set to use Intrepid. If so, try
reinstalling the latest kernel through apt (still in the chroot). If
you have a separate /boot partition, that might get a bit hairy. If
the apt sources still point to hardy, see if you can do an apt-get
upgrade - again, if you have a separate /boot partition that's going
to be tricky.

I've not had to do anything like this in years, so take all of this
with a grain of salt. I have not even googled around. Maybe it would
be easier to try the recovery mode on a 8.04 CD to repair the kernel
first, then see if you can get it to boot and finish the upgrade.
Just throwing ideas out there....

Good luck!

Chris

Old 11-01-2008, 05:11 PM
cavaughan

Ok, I got into the grub boot loader and am booting into a previous kernel.
Hm. I didn't even think it was getting to Grub... Maybe this'll work.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 18:11 +0000, cavaughan wrote:
> Ok, I got into the grub boot loader and am booting into a previous kernel.
> Hm. I didn't even think it was getting to Grub... Maybe this'll work.

Great, if you can get in, check /etc/apt/sources.list, and also the
content of /etc/apt - do you see the backups of the hardy version of the
files?

Try to run "sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude--simulate
full-upgrade". Does the output look ok?

Old 11-01-2008, 05:55 PM
cavaughan

> Great, if you can get in, check /etc/apt/sources.list, and also the
> content of /etc/apt - do you see the backups of the hardy version of the
> files?
>
> Try to run "sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude--simulate
> full-upgrade". Does the output look ok?

Odd problem with your suggestion though is that the keyboard doesn't
work on the login GUI screen.
So, I went over to a terminal, logged in there. I did look at my
sources.list. All uncommented entries were for Intrepid Ibex.
I ran apt-get update only to discover that I had no network. In fact
there was no /etc/interfaces directory!!!! But it suggested I run
dpkg --configure -a (I believe that was the exact command).
So, it is running right now. We'll see what happens.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 18:55 +0000, cavaughan wrote:
> In fact there was no /etc/interfaces directory!!!!

Yeah, all kinds of weird stuff might happen, after all it was
interrupted in the middle of doing stuff

> But it suggested I run dpkg --configure -a (I believe that was the
> exact command).

That's a good thing I guess

> So, it is running right now. We'll see what happens.

You might be fine, but if you do find other issues cropping up you might
be better-off with a reinstall. At least you can easily back up
everything now, in case you haven't

Old 11-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 17:15:06 +0000 (UTC)
Curtis Vaughan <cavaughan@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was updating to 8.10 from Hardy Heron. It was already installing
> the software (so it was nearing completion) when I lost power. Now
> the computer won't boot. I don't remember the exact error, but
> something to the effect that something's wrong with the kernel.
> I decided to download the 8.10 CD, but it turns out there is no
> recovery mode on it. I'm wondering what actions I can take to restore
> something so I can complete the update.
>
> Thanks for any input!

I think you will find the recovery mode on the alternate installation
cd instead of the live cd.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz