Old 11-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Curtis Vaughan

Default Ubuntu upgrade gone bad

I was updating to 8.10 from Hardy Heron. It was already installing the
software (so it was nearing completion) when I lost power. Now the
computer won't boot. I don't remember the exact error, but something
to the effect that something's wrong with the kernel.
I decided to download the 8.10 CD, but it turns out there is no
recovery mode on it. I'm wondering what actions I can take to restore
something so I can complete the update.

Thanks for any input!

Old 11-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Karl Larsen

Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> I was updating to 8.10 from Hardy Heron. It was already installing the
> software (so it was nearing completion) when I lost power. Now the
> computer won't boot. I don't remember the exact error, but something
> to the effect that something's wrong with the kernel.
> I decided to download the 8.10 CD, but it turns out there is no
> recovery mode on it. I'm wondering what actions I can take to restore
> something so I can complete the update.
>
> Thanks for any input!

First there is a fine recovery function on the 8.10 LiveCD but it is
not what you need.

Your problem I can't understand at all. It sounds like you were
Updating the 8.10 when power dropped. That should not be a problem. So
what really happened?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI