Old 11-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Dave M G

Default SD Cards kind of wonky

Ubuntu Users,

Maybe there's something I don't get about the new system for removable
drives. Things have definitely changed, now that there are eject icons
alongside the drives that get mounted and all.

The thing is, it seems like whenever I insert an SD card, it's always
read only. I've double checked and rechecked to make sure the little
"lock" switch on the card is set to be unlocked.

But, whenever I put in an SD card, I can't write or edit any files.

The weird thing is, though, that I left a 2 GB SD card in the slot of my
USB reader over night, and this morning when I checked it, I was able to
write and remove files.

Did it just need time?

Is there something I'm not getting about how SD cards are not mounted?

In Hardy, I just inserted the disk and it was ready to go. Is there
something more to it now in Intrepid?

Enquiring minds want to know...

Any advice would be much appreciated.

--
Dave M G

Old 11-01-2008, 04:05 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/11/1 Dave M G <martin@autotelic.com>:
> Ubuntu Users,
>
> Maybe there's something I don't get about the new system for removable
> drives. Things have definitely changed, now that there are eject icons
> alongside the drives that get mounted and all.
>
> The thing is, it seems like whenever I insert an SD card, it's always
> read only. I've double checked and rechecked to make sure the little
> "lock" switch on the card is set to be unlocked.
>
> But, whenever I put in an SD card, I can't write or edit any files.
>
> The weird thing is, though, that I left a 2 GB SD card in the slot of my
> USB reader over night, and this morning when I checked it, I was able to
> write and remove files.
>
> Did it just need time?
>
> Is there something I'm not getting about how SD cards are not mounted?
>
> In Hardy, I just inserted the disk and it was ready to go. Is there
> something more to it now in Intrepid?
>
> Enquiring minds want to know...
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated.

Were these cards recently used in Windows computers? Did you properly
unmount them before removing them in Windows (or Linux)? Not doing so
leaves the drive in a state that Ubuntu will not take a risk writing
to the drive. You will see that the filesystem panics when you plug
USB drives in that have not been properly unmounted in Windows.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-02-2008, 01:57 AM
Dave M G

Dotan,

Thank you for responding.
> Were these cards recently used in Windows computers?
No, I never use Windows. Or Mac. I am 100% Ubuntu.

--
Dave M G

Old 11-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Dave M G

Ubuntu Users,

This problem seems to have resolved itself with a kernel update.

Thanks to everyone who suggested solutions.

--
Dave M G