Old 11-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Karl Larsen

Default 8.10 hashes

John French wrote:
> Please can someone tell me where to find the md5 hashes for 8.10 ?
>
> The page I usually go to -
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes - stops at 8.04.
>
> John French

I do not know what hashes are but the 8.10 LiveCD does have a media
test and I always use it. It also always seems to pass and load.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-01-2008, 02:16 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/11/1 Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com>:
> I do not know what hashes are but the 8.10 LiveCD does have a media
> test and I always use it. It also always seems to pass and load.

Hashes are important for being certain that the .iso downloaded has
not been tampered with (for instance, has not had malicious software
added).

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-04-2008, 06:17 AM
"Amit Joshi"

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 8:46 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

2008/11/1 Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com>:

> * *I do not know what hashes are but the 8.10 LiveCD does have a media

> test and I always use it. It also always seems to pass and load.

Hashes are important for being certain that the .iso downloaded has

not been tampered with (for instance, has not had malicious software

added).

I don't know why Ubuntu is still following the MD5 trend. It was proved quite a while ago that MD5 sums may not be unique. The chances of getting the same MD5sum for two different ISOs are bleak but it has been recommended that SHA1 be used to check ISO consistency. AFAIK Fedora Core and a few other distros have been using SHA1sum for a while now.

Amit Joshi