Old 11-01-2008, 01:50 PM
"Александр Горлов"

Default Terminal server on ubuntu server

No I asked about server software?

Which software shall be installed on ubuntu server
It is clear that I shall install GNOME and KDE what else?

2008/11/1 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>

2008/11/1 Александр Горлов <mail.list.4.ag.hob@gmail.com>:

> Hello All.

> I would like to install Terminal server on ubuntu server. It means I would

> like to have access to this server from *network workstation via local

> X-server. May be my question is not correct. On other hands I would like to

> access to the GNOME or KDE that work on ubuntu server.

> Which hardware shall be used for these purposes

Alex, I assume that you are *asking about client software. You can

connect to the server via SSH with the -X (uppercase) to get graphical

capabilities. You won't have a desktop, but you can run graphical

applications via X forwarding.

For example:

$ ssh -X user@server

$ digikam

And now digikam is running on the server, but via your X server.

--

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com

http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Thanks

Alex

Old 11-01-2008, 02:00 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/11/1 Александр Горлов <mail.list.4.ag.hob@gmail.com>:
> No I asked about server software?
>
> Which software shall be installed on ubuntu server
> It is clear that I shall install GNOME and KDE what else?

SSH. But make sure that it is configured in a safe manner (ssh2 only,
no root login, etc).

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-06-2008, 06:24 AM
"Александр Горлов"

Could you please clarify?

If I not mistake SSH gives access to server via console, but I would like to give to users graphic desktop likr GNOME or KDE

Thanks

Alex

Old 11-06-2008, 08:37 AM
"Koh Choon Lin"

> If I not mistake SSH gives access to server via console, but I would like to
> give to users graphic desktop likr GNOME or KDE

You would need VNC.

--
In Liberty
Koh Choon Lin

Old 11-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Carl Friis-Hansen

Александр Горлов wrote:
> Could you please clarify?
>
> If I not mistake SSH gives access to server via console, but I would
like to give to users graphic desktop likr GNOME or KDE

Then what you are looking for is probably either:

"Remote Desktop Viewer" (client) and "Remote Desktop" (server).
These are installed by default - I think.

or

You could have a look at VNC sever and client for example.

Be very careful in case you go beyond local area network though.
As a previous poster noted, one can relative safely use SSH2 console
connection, when set up properly.
--
+---------------------------------+-------------------+
| Carl Friis-Hansen | Fiskeryd Nybygget |

Old 11-06-2008, 10:19 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/11/6 Александр Горлов <mail.list.4.ag.hob@gmail.com>:
> Could you please clarify?
>
> If I not mistake SSH gives access to server via console, but I would like to
> give to users graphic desktop likr GNOME or KDE

As several people have noted, you could use VNC or one of it's
spinoffs (the remote desktop applications, which I think are VNC
based). However, it is much safer to simply forward X via SSH. You
might be able to forward and entire desktop that way if that is what
you want (I don't know how, but you should be able to google it easily
enough). Forwarding single applications is very easy, as I mentioned
above.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-06-2008, 12:53 PM
"Koh Choon Lin"

> "Remote Desktop Viewer" (client) and "Remote Desktop" (server).
> These are installed by default - I think.

Is the server package installed by default? I cannot find it.

The GNOME tsclient is there.

--
In Liberty
Koh Choon Lin

Old 11-06-2008, 04:41 PM
"Carl Friis-Hansen"

>> "Remote Desktop Viewer" (client) and "Remote Desktop" (server).
>> These are installed by default - I think.
>
> Is the server package installed by default? I cannot find it.
>
> The GNOME tsclient is there.

Yes and no. It is the vinagre that is the VNC client and you find that
thing in: Applications / Internet / Remote desktop or you could write
vinagre in a terminal window.
To share your desktop: System / Preferences / Remote desktop

The tsclient is specially dedicated for M$ terminal server.

--
---------=oOOo=---------
Carl Friis-Hansen

Old 11-07-2008, 01:09 AM
NoOp

On 11/05/2008 11:24 PM, Александр Горлов wrote:
> Could you please clarify?
>
> If I not mistake SSH gives access to server via console, but I would like to
> give to users graphic desktop likr GNOME or KDE

Can you please clarify exactly what you are trying to accomplish?

If you are running a standard server you will not have a graphic desktop
(Gnome or KDE) installed. You can easily do so by installing the
ubuntu-desktop and/or kubuntu-desktop.

Depending upon what you want the users to do:

1. If you want them to log in and experience their own desktop, then
install NoMachine's NX (or freeNX). They can then login and experience
their own desktop. NX uses ssh for security. Note: Windows users can
also login from the NX Windows client.

2. If you want them to login with a command line then use
ssh with the -X option. Once logged in they can open a particular
program (OpenOffice for instance) and only that program will open.

3. Use the available Terminal Server client provided by Gnome
(Applications|Internet|Terminal Server Client) or Krdc in kubuntu.

There are many, many ways to connect; in order for anyone to help you
properly you need to clarify _exactly_ what you are trying to accomplish.