Old 11-01-2008, 01:36 PM
"Steve Flynn"

Default POS software

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Doug Robinson <dkrr@telus.net> wrote:
> Hello one and all
>
> I am a retired programmer but a friend has been
> asking me about a POS - Inventory control and general do it all
> computer solution for his new winery.
>
> I may remember how to do some small amount of banking stuff I am
> definitely not
> up to speed on retail &| wholesale anything.
>
> Can/will somebody out there aim me in the right direction to
> help me find a good solution for this guy?
>
> Of course he would like it right away, he would like it to operate
> quickly and he would like it to be free - in any sense.

Does the software have to be Linux based or would you look at Windows
as platform solution? What other software is he planning on running -
inventory management, accounting, automated control systems for
temperature control of the winery, etc? Choosing Linux as an operating
system is potentially going to be cheaper for him but may cause
problems when, for example, the company supplying the cooling system
for humidity control only supports Windows.

Think carefully and draw up a list of requirements before commiting
yourself to any one specific platform.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 11-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 04:17:30PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> If he wants POS software then might I recommend Vista?

;-)

--
Hal

Old 11-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 07:06:13AM -0700, Doug Robinson wrote:

> I am a retired programmer but a friend has been
> asking me about a POS - Inventory control and general do it all
> computer solution for his new winery.

I haven't looked at it in awhile but there is an open source project
called phppointofsale that is a hosted type of solution. You could run
as a local copy, or web based. It integrates with osCommerce IIRC, so you
could do brick and mortar + online sales. Being open source, php +
mysql it would not take much programming to add features.

--
Hal

Old 11-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Jlwallen

give nola pro a try. I had to find a solution for the salon I work
for. it was the only solution that met our needs. it's not open but
it's free.

email sent from iPhone (please forgive itypos)

Old 11-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Rashkae

Doug Robinson wrote:
> Hello one and all
>
> I am a retired programmer but a friend has been
> asking me about a POS - Inventory control and general do it all
> computer solution for his new winery.
>
> I may remember how to do some small amount of banking stuff I am
> definitely not
> up to speed on retail &| wholesale anything.
>
> Can/will somebody out there aim me in the right direction to
> help me find a good solution for this guy?
>
> Of course he would like it right away, he would like it to operate
> quickly and he would like it to be free - in any sense.

Not asking for much is he

Sorry, I'm not familiar with a free Open source POS, but if that eludes
you, check out Quasar:

www.linuxcanada.com

Old 11-01-2008, 02:01 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> said:
> If he wants POS software then might I recommend Vista?

You forgot the smiley. Here:

;-]

I betcha he meant Point Of Sale.
(although I had much the same thought as you)

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 11-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Phil Savoie

Doug Robinson wrote:
> Hello one and all
>
> I am a retired programmer but a friend has been
> asking me about a POS - Inventory control and general do it all
> computer solution for his new winery.
>
> I may remember how to do some small amount of banking stuff I am
> definitely not
> up to speed on retail &| wholesale anything.
>
> Can/will somebody out there aim me in the right direction to
> help me find a good solution for this guy?
>
> Of course he would like it right away, he would like it to operate
> quickly and he would like it to be free - in any sense.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> D.K. Robinson <dkrrXXX@YYYtelus.net>

Hey Doug,

Found this...