Old 11-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Paolo

Default Bios password makes Grub menu disappear

Hello,

I have an MSI Wind setup to dual-boot Ubuntu 8.10/Windows XP
When I add a bios user password the grub menu is bypassed and I can no longer
choose which OS to boot.

Have other experienced something like this? How can I get both password boot
protection and choose the OS?

thanks,
Paolo

Old 11-01-2008, 01:18 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/11/1 Paolo <paolo2@taize.fr>:
> Hello,
>
> I have an MSI Wind setup to dual-boot Ubuntu 8.10/Windows XP
> When I add a bios user password the grub menu is bypassed and I can no longer
> choose which OS to boot.
>
> Have other experienced something like this? How can I get both password boot
> protection and choose the OS?
>
> thanks,
> Paolo

Is grub in the MBR or on a partition?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Paolo

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Is grub in the MBR or on a partition?

Wow. Thanks for the quick reply!
Umm... I don't know. How can I see?

Old 11-01-2008, 01:25 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/11/1 Paolo <paolo2@taize.fr>:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Is grub in the MBR or on a partition?
>
> Wow. Thanks for the quick reply!
> Umm... I don't know. How can I see?

I don't really know! Try googling it.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-01-2008, 06:03 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/11/1 Paolo <paolo2@taize.fr>:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Is grub in the MBR or on a partition?
>
> Wow. Thanks for the quick reply!
> Umm... I don't know. How can I see?

This might contain some keywords to help you google, and to get an
idea of how grub on the mbr differs from grub in the / partition.
http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-booting-another-grub-from-grub

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Paolo

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> This might contain some keywords to help you google, and to get an
> idea of how grub on the mbr differs from grub in the / partition.
> http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-booting-another-grub-from-grub

Thanks Dotan. For the moment I have simply added password protection to all the
Grub boot entries and removed the Bios password. This gives me more or less what
I need: password + choice of OS.

I notice that others have experienced the same problem:
http://forums.msiwind.net/default-msiwind/ubuntu-and-wind-msi-u1000-boot-grub-t3174.html