Old 11-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Rob

Default Evolution - Ubuntu 8.04

Does anyone know how to change the received mail audible notification in
Evolution from a "system beep" to a sound of your choosing. I've been
through all the options (that I can reasonably discover) and see nothing
that can be changed to make this alteration.

Many thanks in advance.

Rob

Old 11-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Frans

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 08:05:42 -0400, Rob wrote:

> Does anyone know how to change the received mail audible notification in
> Evolution from a "system beep" to a sound of your choosing. I've been
> through all the options (that I can reasonably discover) and see nothing
> that can be changed to make this alteration.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Rob

help -> contents -> Mail Preferences -> General Mail Settings says at the
end:

New Mail Notifications:

<quote>
Evolution can alert you to the arrival of new mail with a beep or by
playing a sound file. Choose your alert noise, or select none, as you
prefer. You can choose not to notify on new mail arrival. You can also
configure sound alert in the Mail notification plugin configuration. For
that select Edit > Plugins > New Mail Notifications.
</quote>

If I go to edit -> preferences -> Mail Preferences under the 'general'
tab I do *not* have that option ...

So I tried the other method quoted above:
Edit > Plugins > New Mail Notifications.

Under Edit > Plugins there is no 'New Mail Notifications' plugin listed
but there /is/ a 'Mail Notifications' plugin listed.
I selected that and under the tab 'configuration' I got the option to
choose the audible notification.

When I hit 'play' I got the system beep, changing to 'play sound file'
and hitting 'play' I got no sound, although the sound file I had selected
plays fine with aplay ...

At least the help system is inaccurate.

Maybe you should file a bug report on Launchpad.

Good luck!

-Frans

Old 11-02-2008, 12:17 AM
Rob

On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 14:50 +0000, Frans wrote:

[snipped]

> If I go to edit -> preferences -> Mail Preferences under the 'general'
> tab I do *not* have that option ...
>
> So I tried the other method quoted above:
> Edit > Plugins > New Mail Notifications.
>
> Under Edit > Plugins there is no 'New Mail Notifications' plugin listed
> but there /is/ a 'Mail Notifications' plugin listed.
> I selected that and under the tab 'configuration' I got the option to
> choose the audible notification.
>
> When I hit 'play' I got the system beep, changing to 'play sound file'
> and hitting 'play' I got no sound, although the sound file I had selected
> plays fine with aplay ...
>
> At least the help system is inaccurate.
>
> Maybe you should file a bug report on Launchpad.
>
> Good luck!
>
> -Frans

Thanks. I tried the same thing and though I now have it set to NOT play
a system beep but play another sound file, I get no sound from it even
when i test it in the configuration mode. Seems to be an Evolution
bug.

Rob