Old 11-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Mario Vukelic

Default dpkg: error while apt-get upgrade

On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 08:18 +0000, dave selby wrote:
> I was about to do an upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10, I did an update and it
> failed. I dropped to the command line and this is what I am getting.
>

> dave@main-system:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade

Sorry for being blunt, but are doing it all wrong. You should read the
release notes [1] and, even more importantly, the upgrade instructions
[2]

Upgrading by apt-get is possible but not officially supported. If you
insist on using apt-get, you must at least use the correct command
(apt-get dist-upgrade)

[1] <http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810>

[2] <http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading>

Old 11-01-2008, 08:34 AM
"dave selby"

2008/11/1 Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org>:
> On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 08:18 +0000, dave selby wrote:
>> I was about to do an upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10, I did an update and it
>> failed. I dropped to the command line and this is what I am getting.
>>

>> dave@main-system:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
>
> Sorry for being blunt, but are doing it all wrong. You should read the
> release notes [1] and, even more importantly, the upgrade instructions
> [2]

No problem. Sorry it is me not explaining myself very clearly. I am
running 8.04 OK but when trying to do routine updates for bug fixes
etc I have hit a problem with a package that has got stuck in my
system.

I want to dist-upgrade to 8.10 but am concerned that this issue with
my current 8.04 may throw a spanner in the works so I am trying to
resolve it first.

In a nutshell I have a stuck package in 8.04

Cheers

Dave

Old 11-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 09:34 +0000, dave selby wrote:
> No problem. Sorry it is me not explaining myself very clearly.

No, actually it was me still being sleepy and misreading as well as
missing things. Sorry.

> I want to dist-upgrade to 8.10 but am concerned that this issue with
> my current 8.04 may throw a spanner in the works so I am trying to
> resolve it first.

And you are absolutely correct. As the upgrade instructions keep
repeating, one should make sure that the current install is fully up to
date before attempting a release upgrade.

I can't really help re your package error as I have already upgraded to
8.10. Often, however, such issues fix itself (or are fixed by the
maintainer in the package). Did you simply try again a day later? Maybe
it just went away.

Here is what googling for the error turned up. I found nothing when also
searching for the package version you have trouble with, but a few
related issues:

<http://www.google.de/search?q=%22dpkg-deb+--fsys-tarfile+returned+error
+exit+status+2%22>

This at least is also about the kernel package:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/177825

Old 11-01-2008, 09:13 AM
"dave selby"

2008/11/1 Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org>:
> On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 09:34 +0000, dave selby wrote:
>> No problem. Sorry it is me not explaining myself very clearly.
>
> No, actually it was me still being sleepy and misreading as well as
> missing things. Sorry.
>
>> I want to dist-upgrade to 8.10 but am concerned that this issue with
>> my current 8.04 may throw a spanner in the works so I am trying to
>> resolve it first.
>
> And you are absolutely correct. As the upgrade instructions keep
> repeating, one should make sure that the current install is fully up to
> date before attempting a release upgrade.
>
> I can't really help re your package error as I have already upgraded to
> 8.10. Often, however, such issues fix itself (or are fixed by the
> maintainer in the package). Did you simply try again a day later? Maybe
> it just went away.
>
> Here is what googling for the error turned up. I found nothing when also
> searching for the package version you have trouble with, but a few
> related issues:
>
> <http://www.google.de/search?q=%22dpkg-deb+--fsys-tarfile+returned+error
> +exit+status+2%22>
>
> This at least is also about the kernel package:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/177825

Many thanks, I will have a read and hang on a couple of days

Cheers

Dave

Old 11-02-2008, 07:58 PM
NoOp

On 11/01/2008 01:18 AM, dave selby wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was about to do an upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10, I did an update and it
> failed. I dropped to the command line and this is what I am getting.
[snip]

> /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.24-21-generic_2.6.24-21.43_i386.deb
> dave@main-system:~$
>
> I want to fix this before I do an upgrade to 8.10 since it might cause
> problems. Any idea how I fix this ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave

Give these a try:

sudo apt-get update
[note: look for errors & if so, fix your sources.list)
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get -f check
[note: it's always a good idea to open gedit also so that you can copy &
paste the output of commands like these when trying to troublshoot. You
can then save to compare etc]
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

You may have to do the above a couple of times if you get errors.

I'd also recommend that you _consider_ running 'apt-get clean'. But
before you do, understand what it does, & also ensure that you have a
solid network connection in order to redownload any necessary packages:

$ man apt-get

clean
clean clears out the local repository of retrieved package files.
It removes everything but the lock file from
/var/cache/apt/archives/ and /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/. When
APT is used as a dselect(8) method, clean is run automatically.
Those who do not use dselect will likely want to run apt-get clean
from time to time to free up disk space.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Derek Broughton

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 08:18 +0000, dave selby wrote:
>> I was about to do an upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10, I did an update and it
>> failed. I dropped to the command line and this is what I am getting.
>>

>> dave@main-system:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
>
> Sorry for being blunt, but are doing it all wrong.

No he's not. He said he was doing this _prior_ to upgrading to 8.10. It
seems smart to me to make sure apt is in a fully consistent state first.
That said, I can't see what the error is that he's encountering.

--
derek