Old 11-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Thufir

Default analog clock in GNOME

I've been searching through apt-cache for various clock applications.
aclock is ok, except that it's only in the bottom left hand side and I
want to move it to the right hand side. asclock is, in someways, better,
however it's "digital".

what I'd really like to do is to have the clock in the panel use an
"analog" interface. Is that possible?

thanks,

Thufir

Old 11-01-2008, 07:40 AM
Carl Friis-Hansen

Thufir wrote:
> I've been searching through apt-cache for various clock applications.
> aclock is ok, except that it's only in the bottom left hand side and I
> want to move it to the right hand side. asclock is, in someways, better,
> however it's "digital".
>

> what I'd really like to do is to have the clock in the panel use an
> "analog" interface. Is that possible?

Caitro-clock is very nice indeed:

carl@cjfh3:~$ aptitude show cairo-clock
Package: cairo-clock
State: installed
Automatically installed: yes
Version: 0.3.3-2
Section: universe/x11
Maintainer: Ubuntu MOTU Developers <ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com>
Uncompressed Size: 3232k
Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.13.2), libc6 (>= 2.6.1-1), libcairo2 (>= 1.4.0),
libfontconfig1 (>= 2.4.0), libglade2-0 (>= 1:2.6.1),
libglib2.0-0 (>=
2.14.0), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.12.0), libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.18.2),
librsvg2-2
(>= 2.18.1), libx11-6, libxcomposite1 (>= 1:0.3-1), libxcursor1 (>
1.1.2), libxdamage1 (>= 1:1.1), libxext6, libxfixes3 (>= 1:4.0.1),
libxi6, libxinerama1, libxml2 (>= 2.6.29), libxrandr2 (>=
2:1.2.0),
libxrender1
Recommends: compiz, x11-common (>= 7.0.0)
It is an analog clock displaying the system-time. It leverages the new
visual
features offered by Xorg 7.0 in combination with a compositing-manager
(e.g.
like xcompmgr or compiz), gtk+ 2.10.0, cairo 1.2.0, libglade 2.6.0 and
librsvg
2.14.0 to produce a time display with pretty-pixels.

Homepage: http://macslow.thepimp.net/index.php?page_id=23

carl@cjfh3:~$

Old 11-02-2008, 07:35 AM
Thufir

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 09:40:05 +0100, Carl Friis-Hansen wrote:

>> what I'd really like to do is to have the clock in the panel use an
>> "analog" interface. Is that possible?
>
> Caitro-clock is very nice indeed:

Yes, I worked my way down, alphabetically, to cairo-clock and it's nearly
what I want. The GNOME panel clock is embedded within the panel, and
it's possible to kinda/sorta shove cairo-clock over the panel, but it
just doesn't work particularly well. Anything else?

I sorta like the clock in the panel idea of Vista, except I'd want
something a bit smaller.

thanks,

Thufir

Old 11-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Carl Friis-Hansen

Thufir wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 09:40:05 +0100, Carl Friis-Hansen wrote:
>
>>> what I'd really like to do is to have the clock in the panel use an
>>> "analog" interface. Is that possible?
>> Caitro-clock is very nice indeed:
>

> Yes, I worked my way down, alphabetically, to cairo-clock and it's nearly
> what I want. The GNOME panel clock is embedded within the panel, and
> it's possible to kinda/sorta shove cairo-clock over the panel, but it
> just doesn't work particularly well. Anything else?
>
> I sorta like the clock in the panel idea of Vista, except I'd want
> something a bit smaller.

I have never seen Vista, so I wouldn't know, sorry.
The standard clock cannot be set to analog and swapping it with another
clock might not be smart. The thing is that the standard clock i heavily
integrated into the system and in Evolution calendar. There are loads of
configuration options and templates for the cairo-clock and in addition
it can persist in all work spaces simultaneously.
One alternative could also be:
///////////////////////////////////////
carl@cjfh3:~$ aptitude show gpe-clock
Package: gpe-clock
State: not installed
Version: 0.25-3
Section: universe/x11
Maintainer: Ubuntu MOTU Developers <ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com>
Uncompressed Size: 258k
Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.13.2), libc6 (>= 2.5-5), libcairo2 (>=
1.4.0), libfontconfig1 (>= 2.4.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.12.9),
libgpelaunch0 (>= 0.14),
libgpeschedule0, libgpewidget1, libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.10.3),
libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.16.2), libx11-6, libxcursor1 (> 1.1.2), libxext6,
libxfixes3 (>=
1:4.0.1), libxi6, libxinerama1, libxrandr2 (>= 2:1.2.0),
libxrender1, gpe-icons
gpe-clock is an alarm clock dock application for the GPE Palmtop
Environment. It displays the time in the system tray and manages simple
alarms (single or
weekly). It can be configured to display a digital or an analogue
clock face.

Homepage: http://gpe.linuxtogo.org/projects/gpe-clock.shtml

carl@cjfh3:~$
////////////////////////////////
By the way, you do not need to scroll alphabetically through Synaptic or
what ever you used, you can filter with find. Some find it easier to use
console applications like apt-get or aptitude. If you would like to
install the gpe-clock, you could do as follow:

Atl-F2

sudo aptitude install gpe-clock

To put the newly installed applet on your panel, you need to right-click
on an empty space on the panel bar and click on "Add to panel...".
For the rest, you should have no problems.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Graham Watkins

Thufir wrote:
> I've been searching through apt-cache for various clock applications.
> aclock is ok, except that it's only in the bottom left hand side and I
> want to move it to the right hand side. asclock is, in someways, better,
> however it's "digital".
>

> what I'd really like to do is to have the clock in the panel use an
> "analog" interface. Is that possible?
>

> thanks,
>
> Thufir

If you can stand to have the clock on your desktop, gDesklets has a
selection of analog clockfaces. I use the "pocketwatch" style myself.

If you decide to use it, remember to add gDesklets to your session
preferences.

--
Graham Watkins

"To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows
box, you just need to work on it."
SecurityFocus columnist Scott Granneman.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:33 AM
Thufir

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 11:00:01 +0000, Graham Watkins wrote:

> If you can stand to have the clock on your desktop, gDesklets has a
> selection of analog clockfaces. I use the "pocketwatch" style myself.
>
> If you decide to use it, remember to add gDesklets to your session
> preferences.

I'll give gDesklets one a go. Also, I tried gpe-clock, but, for me, I
didn't actually get a clock -- just a weird blank sorta spot on the
toolbar

thanks,

Thufir