Old 11-01-2008, 07:03 AM

Default Intrepid upgrade broke Network Manager

I lost the ability to find wireless networks. Network Manager and the
top bar icon simply don't start. So that leaves the Network
Configuration to configure wireless networks manually and that works,
however in order for that to work I need to know the SSID..

So now I find myself scanning networks on my phone, and then manually
adding them..

Is this a known bug?

Cheers,
Han.

#adBox3 {display:none;}

Old 11-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Mario Vukelic

Dunno, one of those? https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=network+manager+start

Old 11-01-2008, 09:51 AM
"Steve Flynn"

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 8:03 AM, <custom@freenet.de> wrote:
> I lost the ability to find wireless networks. Network Manager and the
> top bar icon simply don't start. So that leaves the Network
> Configuration to configure wireless networks manually and that works,
> however in order for that to work I need to know the SSID..

Auto-detection of SSID's is working here ok - found my BT-Voyager via
a Broadcom chipset card without and configuration from me. Add in the
encryption key and I was online.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 11-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 09:03:54AM +0100, custom@freenet.de wrote:
> I lost the ability to find wireless networks. Network Manager and the
> top bar icon simply don't start. So that leaves the Network
> Configuration to configure wireless networks manually and that works,
> however in order for that to work I need to know the SSID..

The Network Manager applet didn't start up automatically for me when I
upgraded to Intrepid on my laptop. I had to manually run it (Alt+F2,
type nm-applet, press Enter) and then it worked fine. I checked the
GNOME session preferences and it showed that nm-applet was supposed to
start up automatically.

This didn't happen when I upgraded my desktop; network manager started
up automatically.

> So now I find myself scanning networks on my phone, and then manually
> adding them..
>
> Is this a known bug?

I haven't searched for it in launchpad.net yet.

Marius Gedminas
--
You'll find creativity working hand in hand with engineering. It will feel
strange and you might feel like things are out of control. Relax - they are.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Walter Garcia-Fontes

* Marius Gedminas [01/11/08 15:33]:
> The Network Manager applet didn't start up automatically for me when I
> upgraded to Intrepid on my laptop. I had to manually run it (Alt+F2,
> type nm-applet, press Enter) and then it worked fine. I checked the
> GNOME session preferences and it showed that nm-applet was supposed to
> start up automatically.

Same thing here. After running nm-applet from the command line,
Network manager comes up in my gnome panel. I configured also a 3G
modem, great job was done for the interface!

But sometimes after disconnecting it
disappears from Network Manager. After editing it without changing
anything it comes back.

Walter

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes
Barcelona

Old 11-01-2008, 09:54 PM
"Abhinav Gupta"

Just a random suggestion. Check System > Preferences > Sessions and
make sure that network manager is ticked. Am not sure whats causing
the problem because I haven't upgraded yet. Am gonna go for a fresh
install after formatting.

Abhinav Gupta

Old 11-02-2008, 08:00 AM
Marius Gedminas

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 06:54:13PM -0400, Abhinav Gupta wrote:
> Just a random suggestion. Check System > Preferences > Sessions and
> make sure that network manager is ticked.

That's the strange thing: it was ticked. And on all logins except for
the very first one Network Manager applet started up automatically.

Marius Gedminas
--
Westheimer's Discovery:
A couple of months in the laboratory can