Old 11-01-2008, 04:31 AM
Rick Bilonick

Default Upgrade to 8.10 from 8.04 or Install?

I'm running 8.04 on an HP 2133. Is it safe to do an upgrade or should I
install 8.10 (wiping out 8.04) after doing a backup?

Rick B.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:27 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/11/1 Rick Bilonick <rab@nauticom.net>:
> I'm running 8.04 on an HP 2133. Is it safe to do an upgrade or should I
> install 8.10 (wiping out 8.04) after doing a backup?
>
> Rick B.

If you are using only official repos then do a full backup and then
upgrade. The upgrades are usually safe. If you have third-party repos
enabled then you should probably reinstall. I did, it takes 30 minutes
and it is nice to start with 0 entrophy.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 11-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Derek Broughton

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> 2008/11/1 Rick Bilonick <rab@nauticom.net>:
>> I'm running 8.04 on an HP 2133. Is it safe to do an upgrade or should I
>> install 8.10 (wiping out 8.04) after doing a backup?
>>
>> Rick B.
>>

> If you are using only official repos then do a full backup and then
> upgrade. The upgrades are usually safe. If you have third-party repos
> enabled then you should probably reinstall. I did, it takes 30 minutes
> and it is nice to start with 0 entrophy.

I'm getting twitchy. I want to upgrade, but the wife/business partner has
threatened my life if I try it before we finish the workshop we're
conducting until Wednesday :-)

If it works like the last upgrade, it'll disable your third-party repos
first.
--
derek

Old 11-02-2008, 10:56 PM
musicman

Upgrade worked for me, 8.04->8.10 no hassles.

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 8:51 AM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>> 2008/11/1 Rick Bilonick <rab@nauticom.net>:
>>> I'm running 8.04 on an HP 2133. Is it safe to do an upgrade or should I
>>> install 8.10 (wiping out 8.04) after doing a backup?
>>>
>>> Rick B.
>>>

>> If you are using only official repos then do a full backup and then
>> upgrade. The upgrades are usually safe. If you have third-party repos
>> enabled then you should probably reinstall. I did, it takes 30 minutes
>> and it is nice to start with 0 entrophy.
>
> I'm getting twitchy. I want to upgrade, but the wife/business partner has
> threatened my life if I try it before we finish the workshop we're
> conducting until Wednesday :-)
>
> If it works like the last upgrade, it'll disable your third-party repos
> first.
> --
> derek

There's a dignity in being able to control your environment that our
minds deeply crave, and rules that prevent us from reconfiguring our
tools strike at that dignity.
CD, boingboing

Old 11-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Gilles Gravier

I upgraded, so far, 4 machines.

- One EeePC from UbuntuEee to 8.10 generic. Worked nicely. But had to
replace 8.10 kernel with the one from Array.org and the Eee900 is now
fantastic with 8.10.
- One VirtualBox server... Worked like a charm.
- One small Shuttle server... graphics controler was not supported in
8.10 (was working in 8.04). Added a cheap NVIDIA board and works like a
charm.
- My neighboor's PackardBell desktop... Worked like a charm.

All in all... I can fully recommend the default upgrade mecanism with
works well.

After that, edit your repositories like Medibuntu to have intrepid
instead hardy and all will be cool.

Gilles.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Erik Christiansen

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 05:51:16PM -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:

> I'm getting twitchy. I want to upgrade, but the wife/business partner has
> threatened my life if I try it before we finish the workshop we're
> conducting until Wednesday :-)

Sounds fair in the circumstances. :-)

If there's a partition spare, or an unused HD under the bed, then a
clean install beside the existing distro is a sanity (and life?)
preserving way to get into bother with the new distro. The moment it
takes to reboot the old one when the wheels fall off the new one may
even be short enough to avoid discovery of one's sins. (I still have
6.10 to scuttle back to if 7.10 is too bleeding edge for me.)

Erik

--
Didn't the prophet Urdure vanquish the Dragon of Sluth on the plain of
Gidral after three days fighting? ... And wasn't it true that the sons