Old 10-31-2008, 09:59 PM
Bill Moseley

Default Cannot mount volume (USB Flash drive)

When I plug in a USB flash drive I get a pop-up message (from
gnome-volume-manager, I think) simply saying:

Cannot mount volume.
Invalid mount option when attempting to mount the volume.

(If I wanted useless error messages I'd use a different OS).

The question, of course is 1) what is the invalid option, and 2) where
is that invalid option stored so I can change it?

I finally resolved this with gconf-editor, but wanted to post in case
anyone else has this issue (and as I'll forget in a year).

In gconf-editor:

/system/storage/default_options/vfat

one of the mount options was "usefree" which I removed and now can
mount the usb drive. Curious how that got added, of course.

See also:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-mount/+bug/151025

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org

Old 10-31-2008, 10:14 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 15:59 -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> (If I wanted useless error messages I'd use a different OS).

Are you sure it didn't have a "Details >" label lower left?
Of course, the great thing is that you can always check the log files
in /var/log or even watch them live, e.g., "tail
-f /var/log/messages" (Ctrl+C to end)

Old 10-31-2008, 11:16 PM
Bill Moseley

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 12:14:31AM +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 15:59 -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > (If I wanted useless error messages I'd use a different OS).
>
> Are you sure it didn't have a "Details >" label lower left?

Yes, I'm sure. This is on Hardy. Easy to test by adding a junk mount
option into the key I posted.

> Of course, the great thing is that you can always check the log files
> in /var/log or even watch them live, e.g., "tail
> -f /var/log/messages" (Ctrl+C to end)

Yes, it would be a great thing if it logged the error. It's doesn't.

$ fgrep foobar /var/log/* || echo 'sorry'
sorry

Only way to see I found is:

$ gnome-mount -vtd /dev/sdc1
gnome-mount 0.8
** (gnome-mount:11724): DEBUG: Mounting /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_FC30_3DA9
** (gnome-mount:11724): DEBUG: read default option 'shortname=lower' from gconf strlist key /system/storage/default_options/vfat/mount_options
** (gnome-mount:11724): DEBUG: read default option 'uid=' from gconf strlist key /system/storage/default_options/vfat/mount_options
** (gnome-mount:11724): DEBUG: read default option 'utf8' from gconf strlist key /system/storage/default_options/vfat/mount_options
** (gnome-mount:11724): DEBUG: read default option 'umask=077' from gconf strlist key /system/storage/default_options/vfat/mount_options
** (gnome-mount:11724): DEBUG: read default option 'exec' from gconf strlist key /system/storage/default_options/vfat/mount_options
** (gnome-mount:11724): DEBUG: read default option 'foobar' from gconf strlist key /system/storage/default_options/vfat/mount_options
** (gnome-mount:11724): DEBUG: Mounting /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_FC30_3DA9 with mount_point=', fstype=', num_options=6
** (gnome-mount:11724): DEBUG: option='shortname=lower'
** (gnome-mount:11724): DEBUG: option='uid=1000'
** (gnome-mount:11724): DEBUG: option='utf8'
** (gnome-mount:11724): DEBUG: option='umask=077'
** (gnome-mount:11724): DEBUG: option='exec'
** (gnome-mount:11724): DEBUG: option='foobar'
** Message: Mount failed for /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_FC30_3DA9
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.InvalidMountOpti on : The option 'foobar' is not allowed for uid=1000

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org

Old 11-01-2008, 12:13 AM
Rashkae

Bill Moseley wrote:
> When I plug in a USB flash drive I get a pop-up message (from
> gnome-volume-manager, I think) simply saying:
>
> Cannot mount volume.
> Invalid mount option when attempting to mount the volume.
>
> (If I wanted useless error messages I'd use a different OS).
>
> The question, of course is 1) what is the invalid option, and 2) where
> is that invalid option stored so I can change it?
>
> I finally resolved this with gconf-editor, but wanted to post in case
> anyone else has this issue (and as I'll forget in a year).
>
> In gconf-editor:
>
> /system/storage/default_options/vfat

Thank you for this follow up.. I've never experienced this problem, but
it bugged me that could never find where this configuration was stored..
when this problem was first reported, I spent lots of time combing
through the HAL configuration files trying it find how the default
filesystem mounting options fit together.. Figures I was in the wrong
place entirely.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:35 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 17:16 -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> Yes, I'm sure. This is on Hardy. Easy to test by adding a junk mount
> option into the key I posted.

> $ fgrep foobar /var/log/* || echo 'sorry'
> sorry

Oh ok, nevermind then. This sucks. Everyone should log.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Bill Moseley

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 09:13:29PM -0400, Rashkae wrote:
> > In gconf-editor:
> >
> > /system/storage/default_options/vfat
> >

> Thank you for this follow up.. I've never experienced this problem, but
> it bugged me that could never find where this configuration was stored..
> when this problem was first reported, I spent lots of time combing
> through the HAL configuration files trying it find how the default
> filesystem mounting options fit together.. Figures I was in the wrong
> place entirely.

I did the same thing. I spent a few hours reading the wrong docs --
everything I was reading said gnome-volume-manager was handling the
mounting by calling pmount. But, it didn't make sense as I could not
find how the options would be passed (and where they would come from).
Finally came across a note about gnome-mount.

$ strings /usr/bin/gnome-mount | grep /bin/
/bin/umount
/bin/mount

$ strings /usr/bin/gnome-mount | grep /system/
/system/storage/volumes/%s
/system/storage/drives/%s
/system/storage/drives/%s/mount_point
/system/storage/drives/%s/mount_options
/system/storage/drives/%s/fstype_override
/system/storage/volumes/%s/mount_point
/system/storage/volumes/%s/mount_options
/system/storage/volumes/%s/fstype_override
/system/storage/default_options/%s/fstype_override
/system/storage/default_options/%s/mount_options

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org