Old 11-21-2007, 02:18 AM
Alex Janssen

Default Linux printer share quit working

I've been printing to an Ubuntu 6.06 server sharing a plain text printer
for over a year now. Today it started refusing connections. I have
reviewed the setup and am at a loss to explain why it just quit.
Updates had not been applied, so that's out.

The setup is a CUPS printer shared by Samba. Samba security was set to
share level and the printer was available to the general public on our
local network of 12 nodes.

Users were printing to it this morning and suddenly it started refusing
connections from smbspool on a SCO Unix box. They rebooted all
computers involved before alerting me. I had been addressing this
printer as smb://servername/printer for over a year with no incidents.

SCO Unix reports via email:
Your request pr6-76476 destined for pr6 encountered an error
while printing on printer pr6.
Reason for failure:
ERROR: Error writing file: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

I have played with the server all day, including downloading all
updates, trying to get it to accept print requests, to no avail.

I see a file created in /tmp, the dir spec'd for spooling in smb.conf,
but it is always 0 bytes.

Any ideas?

Alex

--
Ourwoods.org
Do not drink coffee in the morning or it will keep you awake until noon. (86)

Old 11-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Alex Janssen

One more note on this ...
If I connect this printer to a Windows XP box, I can print to it using
the same commands on the SCO box, just by changing the server name in
the device line.
I'm going to look in the cups error_log more extensively soon as I get
to work today. If I find something, I'll post it in case it helps
someone else.

Alex

--
Ourwoods.org
Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected become the expected? - Meso Happy (181)

Old 11-22-2007, 03:21 AM
Alex Janssen

Alex Janssen said the following on 11/21/2007 08:44 AM:
> One more note on this ...

Here I go again! Replying to my own email. I guess I'll just reinstall
cupsys and samba to see if that fixes it. Anyone got any ideas at all?

Alex

--
Ourwoods.org
An atom blaster is a good weapon, but it can point both ways. (24)

Old 11-26-2007, 04:15 AM
Linda Hanigan

Did you get your printer working? I had a similar problem with a samba
printer a little over a month ago. I could see the printer from the
windows XP box but it refused to print. I tried fixing it from the Linux
side but it did not work. Then I tried fixing it from the windows side.
First I tried reinstalling the smb printer it did not work. Then I set
it up as a cups printer instead of as a samba printer in windows. Here
is what I did that worked
Windows Client setup
* Click Start/Settings/Printers and Faxes.

* Click "Add a Printer".

* Click Next.

* Select "Add a network printer ..." and click the Next button.

* Select "Connect to a printer on the Internet..." and type in the
URL for the print queue. It will look like
http://server_IP:631/printers/PrinterName (the PrinterName is
the same from the localhost:631 entry of your printer). Then
click the Next button.

* In the next windows select your printer model. have driver
choose the one on CD English/Drivers/WindowsXP/1320.PS and
install.

* Click Finsh

I wondered if a Windows update broke the setup as I had not made any
changes recently to the Linux box. Anyway hope this helps if you haven't
solved your problem yourself by now.
Linda

Old 12-11-2007, 02:47 AM
Alex Janssen

Linda Hanigan said the following on 11/26/2007 12:15 AM:
> Did you get your printer working? I had a similar problem with a samba
> printer a little over a month ago. I could see the printer from the
> windows XP box but it refused to print. I tried fixing it from the Linux
> side but it did not work. Then I tried fixing it from the windows side.
> First I tried reinstalling the smb printer it did not work. Then I set
> it up as a cups printer instead of as a samba printer in windows. Here
> is what I did that worked
> Windows Client setup
> * Click Start/Settings/Printers and Faxes.
>
> * Click "Add a Printer".
>
> * Click Next.
>
> * Select "Add a network printer ..." and click the Next button.
>
> * Select "Connect to a printer on the Internet..." and type in the
> URL for the print queue. It will look like
> http://server_IP:631/printers/PrinterName (the PrinterName is
> the same from the localhost:631 entry of your printer). Then
> click the Next button.
>
> * In the next windows select your printer model. have driver
> choose the one on CD English/Drivers/WindowsXP/1320.PS and
> install.
>
> * Click Finsh
>
> I wondered if a Windows update broke the setup as I had not made any
> changes recently to the Linux box. Anyway hope this helps if you haven't
> solved your problem yourself by now.
> Linda
>

> On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 08:44 -0500, Alex Janssen wrote:
>
>> One more note on this ...
>> If I connect this printer to a Windows XP box, I can print to it using
>> the same commands on the SCO box, just by changing the server name in
>> the device line.
>> I'm going to look in the cups error_log more extensively soon as I get
>> to work today. If I find something, I'll post it in case it helps
>> someone else.
>>
>> Alex
>>
>> --
>> Ourwoods.org
>> Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected become the expected? - Meso Happy (181)

I got steamed about this situation. So, I read the manuals(fancy that!)
and read and read ...

What I ended up with was dumping Samba printer sharing. CUPS can handle
it all by itself!

I setup a RAW printer on the server connected to /dev/lp0, cups-lpd run
via xinetd on-demand and print to it with "lp -d rawprintername
-onobanner anyfilename" from SCO Unix.

What I did:
Read ...
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

http://www.novell.com/documentation/suse91/suselinux-adminguide/html/ch05s05.html

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS

Add a raw printer on the server:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/smeserver/contribs/rvandenaker/beta/e-smith-cups/documentation/howtos/cups-add-printer.html

What I did:
Log in to the server via http://hostiporname:631/admin
Add Printer - give it a name
Select lpt #1 as the device
Pick RAW as the printer make/manufacturer.
Pick Raw Queue for the model.
Click Set Options
You're done.

Make sure xinetd is installed and running.
Put a cups file in /etc/xinetd.d as per the man page on cups-lpd.
I added -n to the server parameters line.

Set up a remote printer on SCO Unix.

Print to it from SCO via "lp -onobanner -dprintername nameoffiletoprint".

Print to it from Windows as per
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkPrintingFromWinXP?highlight=%28sharing%29%7 C%28printer%29

Today, it is working great! The print jobs show up in the CUPS queue
list(Samba was bypassing this) and you can stop it on a dime! You can
delete and move jobs, too. Some in the office now think I'm a genius!
;-) Doesn't hurt. I'll ride it for a while.

Best,
Alex

--
Ourwoods.org
Man who smoke pot choke on handle. - Uncle Chu (261)

Old 12-11-2007, 03:30 AM
NoOp

On 12/10/2007 07:47 PM, Alex Janssen wrote:

> Today, it is working great! The print jobs show up in the CUPS queue
> list(Samba was bypassing this) and you can stop it on a dime! You can
> delete and move jobs, too. Some in the office now think I'm a genius!
> ;-) Doesn't hurt. I'll ride it for a while.
>
> Best,
> Alex

Just as easy & works everytime out of the box, use:
ipp:/<ipaddress>:631/printers/<printername>