Old 10-21-2008, 01:33 AM
"Owen Townend"

Default Default Username/Password

2008/10/21 steve <sfreilly@roadrunner.com>:
[snip]

> no explanation as to why you werent asked for a username or password,
> maybe you forgot? but heres how to correct it.
>
> boot to the grub screen, watch closely, you will have to press escape
> key to get there. choose recovery kernel. in the menu, choose drop to
> root shell. use the command useradd followed by the username you want
> to add. then the command passwd followed by the username you just
> created to create the password. reboot, and login.
[snip]

Especially as you (OP) sound new to Ubuntu, use `adduser` instead of
`useradd` and it will prompt you for a password and other details in a
much more friendly way.

As the man page states:
"useradd is a low level utility for adding users. On Debian,
administrators should usually use adduser(8) instead."

cheers,
Owen.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:38 PM
"Mallikarjuna Rao"

Hi Owen,

Thanks for the info. But to enter "adduser" command, I dont have a terminal window. I'm blocked at the username screen which i get when i boot the ubuntu linux. And the username was not created yet. Let me know if i'm missing something.

--
Thanks & Regards,

Mallik

Old 10-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Karl Larsen

Mallikarjuna Rao wrote:
> Hi Owen,
>
> Thanks for the info. But to enter "adduser" command, I dont have a terminal
> window. I'm blocked at the username screen which i get when i boot the
> ubuntu linux.
At this point if you do not have a user name and password your in
trouble :-)

Here is what you do. Press the Ctl and Alt and F1 keys and you will
be backed out to a black and white page. And your cursor will be at a
bottom line. Type sudo adduser and it will ask for a name and a
password. Give these to the computer and when back to the prompt, perss
the Ctl Alt F7 key and you will be back where you started. Enter your
new name and password and enjoy :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 10-21-2008, 06:32 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> Mallikarjuna Rao wrote:
>> Hi Owen,
>>
>> Thanks for the info. But to enter "adduser" command, I dont have a terminal
>> window. I'm blocked at the username screen which i get when i boot the
>> ubuntu linux.
> At this point if you do not have a user name and password your in
> trouble :-)
>
> Here is what you do. Press the Ctl and Alt and F1 keys and you will
> be backed out to a black and white page. And your cursor will be at a
> bottom line. Type sudo adduser and it will ask for a name and a
> password. Give these to the computer and when back to the prompt, perss
> the Ctl Alt F7 key and you will be back where you started. Enter your
> new name and password and enjoy :-)

Karl - that won't work, since TTY1 prompts for a username and password.

Mallikarjuna - follow steve's advice and select the "recovery" kernel
option at boot time (from the grub menu - right after BIOS). When
prompted, select "Drop to root shell". Then run the adduser command.

HTH,
Chris

Old 10-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Karl Larsen

Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
>
>> Mallikarjuna Rao wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Owen,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the info. But to enter "adduser" command, I dont have a terminal
>>> window. I'm blocked at the username screen which i get when i boot the
>>> ubuntu linux.
>>>
>> At this point if you do not have a user name and password your in
>> trouble :-)
>>
>> Here is what you do. Press the Ctl and Alt and F1 keys and you will
>> be backed out to a black and white page. And your cursor will be at a
>> bottom line. Type sudo adduser and it will ask for a name and a
>> password. Give these to the computer and when back to the prompt, perss
>> the Ctl Alt F7 key and you will be back where you started. Enter your
>> new name and password and enjoy :-)
>>

> Karl - that won't work, since TTY1 prompts for a username and password.
>
> Mallikarjuna - follow steve's advice and select the "recovery" kernel
> option at boot time (from the grub menu - right after BIOS). When
> prompted, select "Drop to root shell". Then run the adduser command.
>
> HTH,
> Chris

Yes thinking about it your right. Your still needing a name and
password. Sorry!

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 10-22-2008, 04:45 PM
"Mallikarjuna Rao"

I'm able to create a user!. Thanks a lot.

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 8:24 PM, steve <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> wrote:

Thanks & Regards,
Mallik