Old 11-20-2007, 11:03 PM
"drew einhorn"

Default freenx on gutsy

I've been struggling with trying to build freenx from source
since the seveas repositories do not yet support gutsy.

Found some code fragments for other platforms.

I'm stuck.

When building the libraries, we have several stanzas
such, as:

cd nxcompext
./configure --x-includes="/usr/include/xorg -I/usr/include/X11"
make
cp -f --preserve libXcompext.so* /usr/NX/lib
cd ..

The configure options are not working and the x include files
are not being found.

--
Drew Einhorn

Old 01-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Jeremy Wilkins

Hi Drew. I happened upon your post and I'm not sure if you resolved it yet,
but here is an option. I have compiled binaries for Ubuntu and setup a
forum and repository here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=620057&highlight=freenx

Old 01-12-2008, 12:23 AM
NoOp

On 01/10/2008 01:05 PM, Jeremy Wilkins wrote:
> Hi Drew. I happened upon your post and I'm not sure if you resolved it yet,
> but here is an option. I have compiled binaries for Ubuntu and setup a
> forum and repository here:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=620057&highlight=freenx

I used these instructions to set things up on each of my Ubuntu's:

http://michigantelephone.mi.org/blog/2006/09/how-to-install-nx-server-and-client.html

Here are my changes to that blog:

> > -----------------------
> > Step 1 - Download
> > -----------------------
> >
> > Download "NX Desktop Server DEB for Linux" from:
> > http://www.nomachine.com/select-package.php?os=linux&id=1
> >
> > Download "NX Node DEB for Linux" from:
> > http://www.nomachine.com/download-node.php?os=linux
> >
> > Download "NX Client DEB for Linux" from:
> > http://www.nomachine.com/download-client-linux.php

I also downloaded and installed the NX Manager:

http://www.nomachine.com/download-package.php?Prod_Id=77

> > -----------------------
> > Step 2 - Install
> > -----------------------
> >
> > Install the DEB files in this order:
> >
> > nxclient
> > nxnode
> > nxserver
nxmanager

I just double-clicked via Nautilus & allowed the Package Manager to do
the installs.

> > -----------------------
> > Step 3 - Configure
> > -----------------------
> >
> > Load up your /etc/ssh/sshd_config file into an editor:
> >
> > sudo nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config

change to gksudo gedit /etc/ssh/sshd_config

so that you can use the gedit editor instead of nano if you'd like.

> > Add the following line & save the file
> > AuthorizedKeysFile /usr/NX/home/nx/.ssh/authorized_keys2

Go to Step 4 and modify /usr/NX/etc/server.cfg and /usr/NX/etc/node.cfg
first, then go back to:

> > Restart sshd by typing:
> > sudo /etc/init.d/ssh restart
> >

> > Verify nxserver is configured properly by typing:
> > sudo /usr/NX/bin/nxserver --status

After all of that: Applications|Internet|NX Client for Linux
and configure for a session to your other machine.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Jeremy Wilkins

Ok, but that is not FreeNX and it is limited to ony two connections and two
users. If that is all you need then have a good day and thank you for your
quick reply.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:30 AM
NoOp

On 01/14/2008 11:47 AM, Jeremy Wilkins wrote:
> Ok, but that is not FreeNX and it is limited to ony two connections and two
> users. If that is all you need then have a good day and thank you for your
> quick reply.

Apparently so... my mistake:

http://www.nomachine.com/news-read.php?idnews=202

Old 01-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Derek Broughton

Jeremy Wilkins wrote:

> Ok, but that is not FreeNX

True (I think - he claims otherwise). An annoyance perpetuated by one of
the major linux magazines that gave instructions for "FreeNX" that never
referenced anything from anywhere but NoMachine.

> and it is limited to ony two connections and two users.

Huh? I don't think so... I can't say for certain that I've ever actually
made more than two connections, or had more than two users, but I haven't
ever seen such a restriction (and I _think_ I have had three connections at
once).

> If that is all you need then have a good day and thank you for
> your quick reply.
>

> NoOp-4 wrote:
>>
>> On 01/10/2008 01:05 PM, Jeremy Wilkins wrote:
>>> Hi Drew. I happened upon your post and I'm not sure if you resolved it
>>> yet,
>>> but here is an option. I have compiled binaries for Ubuntu and setup a
>>> forum and repository here:
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=620057&highlight=freenx

Now, I am not sure whether he's distributing NoMachine's nxagent and
nxserver here, or just using the same names, but he _says_ he's
distributing their nxclient - a clear copyright violation.
--
derek

Old 01-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Derek Broughton

NoOp wrote:

> On 01/14/2008 11:47 AM, Jeremy Wilkins wrote:
>> Ok, but that is not FreeNX ...
>
> Apparently so... my mistake:
>
> http://www.nomachine.com/news-read.php?idnews=202

LOL. It's ironic that an the bottom of an article about how NX != FreeNX,
there's a link to get "free NX". That should clear things up for the
users!
--
derek

Old 01-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Jeremy Wilkins

Derek Broughton-2 wrote:

> I read, I studied, and I still find your instructions contradictory. Why
> is
> nxserver listed in the download instructions? If it's your own nxserver,
> why don't you give it another name? It _looks_ as if you're depending on
> nomachine packages.

That is odd, the only mention of nxserver on that forum is
/etc/nxserver/node.conf. Which is a FreeNX node.conf file. The fact that
FreeNX uses this naming convention for its config path is understandably
contradictory, but well known.

Please check the forum:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=620057&highlight=freenx