FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-09-2008, 07:20 PM
NoOp
 
Default New Broadcom wi-fi drivers

Came across this today:
http://blogs.computerworld.com/new_linux_broadcom_wi_fi_drivers_arrive
[ October 7, 2008 - 8:05 P.M.
New Linux Broadcom Wi-Fi drivers arrive]

<quotes>
Now Dell, with some help from Broadcom and Canonical, the company behind
Ubuntu, has just released a Linux friendly Broadcom Wi-Fi driver for
both 32 and 64-bit Linuxes. According to John Hull, Dell's Manager of
Linux OS Engineering, "updated Linux wireless drivers that support cards
based on the Broadcom 4311, 4312, 4321, and 4322 chipsets" are now
available.
.
.
.
Hull went on to say that "This driver is included in the Ubuntu 8.10
release," which is due out at the end of October, "and should be added
to Ubuntu 8.04." If you can't wait, you can download the driver, the
Broadcom Linux STA driver today from a Broadcom site. The link in the
Dell blog is broken, but this link, as of October 7th, was working. Enjoy!
</quotes>

The broadcom link is:
http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

Has anyone tried these yet & if so, what is the result/feedback?


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Derek Broughton
 
Default New Broadcom wi-fi drivers

NoOp wrote:

> Has anyone tried these yet & if so, what is the result/feedback?

I don't know... I installed the intrepid kernel three months back, because
I never had a working Hardy kernel.

Assuming that I got those drivers with that kernel, they're _way_ better
than the ndiswrapper driver I was using in gutsy, but the driver still
drops a lot of frames with "wlan0: RX too short data frame payload".

otoh, if I don't have the ones Dell's talking about, I'm drooling in
anticipation :-)
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Brian Craft
 
Default New Broadcom wi-fi drivers

NoOp wrote:
> Came across this today:
> http://blogs.computerworld.com/new_linux_broadcom_wi_fi_drivers_arrive
> [ October 7, 2008 - 8:05 P.M.
> New Linux Broadcom Wi-Fi drivers arrive]
>
> <quotes>
> Now Dell, with some help from Broadcom and Canonical, the company behind
> Ubuntu, has just released a Linux friendly Broadcom Wi-Fi driver for
> both 32 and 64-bit Linuxes. According to John Hull, Dell's Manager of
> Linux OS Engineering, "updated Linux wireless drivers that support cards
> based on the Broadcom 4311, 4312, 4321, and 4322 chipsets" are now
> available.
> .
> .
> .
> Hull went on to say that "This driver is included in the Ubuntu 8.10
> release," which is due out at the end of October, "and should be added
> to Ubuntu 8.04." If you can't wait, you can download the driver, the
> Broadcom Linux STA driver today from a Broadcom site. The link in the
> Dell blog is broken, but this link, as of October 7th, was working. Enjoy!
> </quotes>
>
> The broadcom link is:
> http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
>
> Has anyone tried these yet & if so, what is the result/feedback?
>
>
>
I'm running a HP dv6772nr laptop with the Broadcom BCM4312 802.11 a/b/g
(rev 02) in it and I just installed Ubuntu 8.10 and the wireless was
found and the new drivers seem to be working fine for me. So far I'm
very happy with it.

--

Brian Craft

Linux Counter id: 97873

Linux......the OS of Choice!







--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default New Broadcom wi-fi drivers

Brian Craft wrote:

> NoOp wrote:
>>
>> The broadcom link is:
>> http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
>>
>> Has anyone tried these yet & if so, what is the result/feedback?
>>
>>
> I'm running a HP dv6772nr laptop with the Broadcom BCM4312 802.11 a/b/g
> (rev 02) in it and I just installed Ubuntu 8.10 and the wireless was
> found and the new drivers seem to be working fine for me. So far I'm
> very happy with it.

Which driver is it using by default? The new broadcom driver is "wl"
(stupid name, even if they are "the" wireless device in 90% of laptops) and
the one I got is b43. b43 is better than bcm43xx or b43legacy or ndis, but
I apparently don't have the wl driver yet.
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-10-2008, 03:31 PM
NoOp
 
Default New Broadcom wi-fi drivers

On 10/10/2008 07:05 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Brian Craft wrote:
>
>> NoOp wrote:
>>>
>>> The broadcom link is:
>>> http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
>>>
>>> Has anyone tried these yet & if so, what is the result/feedback?
>>>
>>>
>> I'm running a HP dv6772nr laptop with the Broadcom BCM4312 802.11 a/b/g
>> (rev 02) in it and I just installed Ubuntu 8.10 and the wireless was
>> found and the new drivers seem to be working fine for me. So far I'm
>> very happy with it.
>
> Which driver is it using by default? The new broadcom driver is "wl"
> (stupid name, even if they are "the" wireless device in 90% of laptops) and
> the one I got is b43. b43 is better than bcm43xx or b43legacy or ndis, but
> I apparently don't have the wl driver yet.

Heads up: I just noticed a new jockey update relating to how
jockey-common & jockey-gtk configures/enables b43 vs the new wl driver.
The updates are related to this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-restricted-modules/+bug/263097
[wl vs. b43 are not properly configured]
As of this morning: Fix released for Intrepid, Fix committed for Hardy.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:32 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org