Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/)
-   -   sound card detected, but no sound... (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/1734-sound-card-detected-but-no-sound.html)

anthony baldwin 11-20-2007 10:43 PM

sound card detected, but no sound...
 
Hi,

I wrote about this last week...Suddenly my sound just stopped about two
weeks ago.
No errors or anything, it just got all garbledy while listening to a song
on a migente.com profile (like myspace, only in Spanish), so I turned the
speakers off, and, the next time I tried to listen to anything on the
machine, like
the next day...no sound.
I thought maybe something fried the on-board audio controller, so, I
purchased
a new sound card, which arrived today.
I installed it, and, apparently it is detected, but, I still have no sound.
Please advise.

I did lspci, and it gives me both, the on-board sound, and the new card,
I just bought:

0000:00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SB450 HDA Audio (rev 01)
(that's the on-board audio device, and)

0000:02:03.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738
(rev 10)
(this is the new card I just acquired).


I get no errors from any audio software.
Heck, mplayer, xmms, rhythmbox, kaffeine, etc., all appear to happily
play music, and
I can sit here and watch the pretty visual effects 'til my eyes bleed...
in complete silence.

The speakers are on. Kmix actually allows me to choose which of the
sound cards,
and I can choose either and turn all the volumes up to ear-splitting
levels, and still
no sound.
No test sound from the KControl>sound & media> sound system> play test
sound thingy.
Nothing.

I can switch the speakers for another pair, plug in headphones, or run
the sound out to
my stereo system, and still, you guessed it...the sounds of silence.
And Simon & Garfunkel aren't playing here.

lshw gives me:

*-multimedia
description: Audio device
product: SB450 HDA Audio
vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
physical id: 14.2
bus info: pci@00:14.2
version: 01
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=HDA Intel
resources: iomemory:80200000-80203fff irq:201

and

*-multimedia
description: Multimedia audio controller
product: CM8738
vendor: C-Media Electronics Inc
physical id: 3
bus info: pci@02:03.0
version: 10
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=C-Media PCI
resources: ioport:1000-10ff irq:201

Of course, I haven't the slightest idea what any of the output from
either of those commands
signifies, in the grand scheme of things.

Likewise, I did
$ sudo modprobe snd-cs4236;modprobe snd-pcm-oss;modprobe
snd-mixer-oss;modprobe snd-seq-oss

and got:

FATAL: Error inserting snd_cs4236
(/lib/modules/2.6.15-29-386/kernel/sound/isa/cs423x/snd-cs4236.ko): No
such device
FATAL: Error inserting snd_seq
(/lib/modules/2.6.15-29-386/kernel/sound/core/seq/snd-seq.ko): Operation
not permitted
WARNING: Error running install command for snd_seq
WARNING: Error inserting snd_seq_midi_event
(/lib/modules/2.6.15-29-386/kernel/sound/core/seq/snd-seq-midi-event.ko):
Operation not permitted
FATAL: Error inserting snd_seq_oss
(/lib/modules/2.6.15-29-386/kernel/sound/core/seq/oss/snd-seq-oss.ko):
Operation not permitted

Which might as well be Swahili, and since I only speak English, French,
Spanish and Portuguese,
it doesn't help me...
I also did
$ aplay -l

and got:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: CMI8738MC6 [C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6], device 0: CMI8738-MC6
[C-Media PCI DAC/ADC]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: CMI8738MC6 [C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6], device 1: CMI8738-MC6
[C-Media PCI 2nd DAC]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: CMI8738MC6 [C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6], device 2: CMI8738-MC6
[C-Media PCI IEC958]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Something tells me that the modprobe output is most significant
(something about FATAL!! FATAL!!
makes me think that there might be a problem there...I don't know...)

In any case...I've got a sound card...in fact, two, installed, and the
machine doesn't seem
to have any trouble finding them, and apparently even believes that it
can successfully play sound, from all the behavior I see, but, no sound
comes out.
This tickety-tackety of the keyboard is getting to sound lonely, and
Comcast doesn't
have a MPB (Musica Popular Brasileira) channel...
No Legião Urbana, even.
And the Latino Rock station doesn't play enough Maná.

Oh yes, and this is on Dapper Kubuntu.
Or, at least Dapper with KDE, since I installed with the Ubuntu disk and
installed
Kubuntu-Desktop afterwards.
Any ideas?
Anyone?
Any and all assistance appreciated, as always. (a*7)

Thanks,
Tony

--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
Translation & Interpreting


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

anthony baldwin 11-20-2007 11:08 PM

sound card detected, but no sound...
 
anthony baldwin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wrote about this last week...Suddenly my sound just stopped about two
> weeks ago.
> No errors or anything, it just got all garbledy while listening to a song
> on a migente.com profile (like myspace, only in Spanish), so I turned the
> speakers off, and, the next time I tried to listen to anything on the
> machine, like
> the next day...no sound.
> I thought maybe something fried the on-board audio controller, so, I
> purchased
> a new sound card, which arrived today.
> I installed it, and, apparently it is detected, but, I still have no sound.
> Please advise.
>
> I did lspci, and it gives me both, the on-board sound, and the new card,
> I just bought:
>
> 0000:00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SB450 HDA Audio (rev 01)
> (that's the on-board audio device, and)
>
> 0000:02:03.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738
> (rev 10)
> (this is the new card I just acquired).
>
>
> I get no errors from any audio software.
> Heck, mplayer, xmms, rhythmbox, kaffeine, etc., all appear to happily
> play music, and
> I can sit here and watch the pretty visual effects 'til my eyes bleed...
> in complete silence.
>
> The speakers are on. Kmix actually allows me to choose which of the
> sound cards,
> and I can choose either and turn all the volumes up to ear-splitting
> levels, and still
> no sound.
> No test sound from the KControl>sound & media> sound system> play test
> sound thingy.
> Nothing.
>
> I can switch the speakers for another pair, plug in headphones, or run
> the sound out to
> my stereo system, and still, you guessed it...the sounds of silence.
> And Simon & Garfunkel aren't playing here.
>
> lshw gives me:
>
> *-multimedia
> description: Audio device
> product: SB450 HDA Audio
> vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
> physical id: 14.2
> bus info: pci@00:14.2
> version: 01
> width: 64 bits
> clock: 33MHz
> capabilities: bus_master cap_list
> configuration: driver=HDA Intel
> resources: iomemory:80200000-80203fff irq:201
>
> and
>
> *-multimedia
> description: Multimedia audio controller
> product: CM8738
> vendor: C-Media Electronics Inc
> physical id: 3
> bus info: pci@02:03.0
> version: 10
> width: 32 bits
> clock: 33MHz
> capabilities: bus_master cap_list
> configuration: driver=C-Media PCI
> resources: ioport:1000-10ff irq:201
>
> Of course, I haven't the slightest idea what any of the output from
> either of those commands
> signifies, in the grand scheme of things.
>
> Likewise, I did
> $ sudo modprobe snd-cs4236;modprobe snd-pcm-oss;modprobe
> snd-mixer-oss;modprobe snd-seq-oss
>
> and got:
>
> FATAL: Error inserting snd_cs4236
> (/lib/modules/2.6.15-29-386/kernel/sound/isa/cs423x/snd-cs4236.ko): No
> such device
> FATAL: Error inserting snd_seq
> (/lib/modules/2.6.15-29-386/kernel/sound/core/seq/snd-seq.ko): Operation
> not permitted
> WARNING: Error running install command for snd_seq
> WARNING: Error inserting snd_seq_midi_event
> (/lib/modules/2.6.15-29-386/kernel/sound/core/seq/snd-seq-midi-event.ko):
> Operation not permitted
> FATAL: Error inserting snd_seq_oss
> (/lib/modules/2.6.15-29-386/kernel/sound/core/seq/oss/snd-seq-oss.ko):
> Operation not permitted
>
> Which might as well be Swahili, and since I only speak English, French,
> Spanish and Portuguese,
> it doesn't help me...
> I also did
> $ aplay -l
>
> and got:
>
> **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
> card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
> Subdevices: 0/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: CMI8738MC6 [C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6], device 0: CMI8738-MC6
> [C-Media PCI DAC/ADC]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: CMI8738MC6 [C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6], device 1: CMI8738-MC6
> [C-Media PCI 2nd DAC]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: CMI8738MC6 [C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6], device 2: CMI8738-MC6
> [C-Media PCI IEC958]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> Something tells me that the modprobe output is most significant
> (something about FATAL!! FATAL!!
> makes me think that there might be a problem there...I don't know...)
>
> In any case...I've got a sound card...in fact, two, installed, and the
> machine doesn't seem
> to have any trouble finding them, and apparently even believes that it
> can successfully play sound, from all the behavior I see, but, no sound
> comes out.
> This tickety-tackety of the keyboard is getting to sound lonely, and
> Comcast doesn't
> have a MPB (Musica Popular Brasileira) channel...
> No Legião Urbana, even.
> And the Latino Rock station doesn't play enough Maná.
>
> Oh yes, and this is on Dapper Kubuntu.
> Or, at least Dapper with KDE, since I installed with the Ubuntu disk and
> installed
> Kubuntu-Desktop afterwards.
> Any ideas?
> Anyone?
> Any and all assistance appreciated, as always. (a*7)
>
> Thanks,
> Tony
>
>
Incidentally, the new card is a Diamond Xtreme 5.1
I read here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=5426) tht these work
well with Linux.
I'm starting to believe that the issue has nothing to do with the sound
card,
but, I am getting no software errors.
Well, except FATAL FATAL from modprobe...see above.

Estou com saudades de escutar as minhas musicas, gente...
preciso ouvir Caetano Veloso e Ze Ramalho, agora.

Thanks,
tony

--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
Translation & Interpreting


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Fajar Priyanto 11-20-2007 11:22 PM

sound card detected, but no sound...
 
On Wednesday 21 November 2007 07:08:40 anthony baldwin wrote:
> Incidentally, the new card is a Diamond Xtreme 5.1
> I read here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=5426) tht these work
> well with Linux.
> I'm starting to believe that the issue has nothing to do with the sound
> card,
> but, I am getting no software errors.
> Well, except FATAL FATAL from modprobe...see above.

Hello Tony,
Maybe you just need to enable PCM2 (open sound manager by double clicking the
speaker icon)? I'm experiencing the same with my onboard card on Compaq
v3000. I need to enable PCM2 then the sound comes :D
HTH,
--
Fajar Priyanto | Reg'd Linux User #327841 | Linux tutorial
http://linux2.arinet.org
07:22:03 up 2:10, 2.6.22-14-generic GNU/Linux
Let's use OpenOffice. http://www.openoffice.org
The real challenge of teaching is getting your students motivated to learn.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

anthony baldwin 11-20-2007 11:50 PM

sound card detected, but no sound...
 
Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 November 2007 07:08:40 anthony baldwin wrote:
>
>> Incidentally, the new card is a Diamond Xtreme 5.1
>> I read here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=5426) tht these work
>> well with Linux.
>> I'm starting to believe that the issue has nothing to do with the sound
>> card,
>> but, I am getting no software errors.
>> Well, except FATAL FATAL from modprobe...see above.
>>
>
> Hello Tony,
> Maybe you just need to enable PCM2 (open sound manager by double clicking the
> speaker icon)? I'm experiencing the same with my onboard card on Compaq
> v3000. I need to enable PCM2 then the sound comes :D
> HTH,
>
Speaker icon?
I don't see that anywhere.
Open sound manager?
Is that gnome stuff?
I'm using kde.
the PCM thingy in Kmix was enabled,
but I don't see any PCM2, though.

I appreciate your efforts.

thanks,
tony

--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
Translation & Interpreting


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:47 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.