Old 12-11-2007, 02:28 PM
bill purvis

Default Fonts, in particular with gv/gs

Can someone explain how I can find out what fonts are available
for my hand-crafted PostScript files. I used to be able to find these
under Mandrake in /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/font.dir (or something
like that). I can find the font files (/usr/share/fonts/type1) but theres
no crib to tell me what font names I can use.
I have a gs script which used to poke around in the font dictionaries
and would list samples of all the available fonts, but this now goes into
some limbo, consuming virtual memory ad infinitum, or at least until my
system grinds to a halt. It also does this if I specify a non-existent
font. I have found something called defoma (Debian Font Manager)
which explains how to add and delete fonts, but there doesn't seem
to be anything that will list the meaningful names of those present.

Anyone understand this area? Please Help!

Bill