Old 12-10-2007, 11:57 PM
"Randall J. Parr"

Default firefox --install-global-extension does not work on feisty?

On other distributions (eg old Red Hat's) using firefox 2.0.0.11 I can
install global extensions using

# firefox --install-global-extension some-extension.xpi

This does NOT work on my Ubuntu Feisty install though (firefox 2.0.0.11).
There are no errors; but nothing seems to happen either.

Does anyone know if this does/should work on Ubuntu?

Thanks
R.Parr, RHCE, Temporal Arts

Old 12-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Caleb Marcus

On other distributions (eg old Red Hat's) using firefox 2.0.0.11 I can
install global extensions using

# firefox --install-global-extension some-extension.xpi

This does NOT work on my Ubuntu Feisty install though (firefox 2.0.0.11).
There are no errors; but nothing seems to happen either.

Does anyone know if this does/should work on Ubuntu?

Thanks
R.Parr, RHCE, Temporal Arts

If you're going to make global changes, you need to be root... it seems that you were running the command as root on Red Hat because the prompt in your command is # and not $. To run a command as root on Ubuntu, put sudo before the command... making it < sudo firefox --install-global-extension some-extension.xpi >

Old 12-11-2007, 04:49 PM
"Randall J. Parr"

Caleb Marcus wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 16:57 -0800, Randall J. Parr wrote:
>> On other distributions (eg old Red Hat's) using firefox 2.0.0.11 I can
>> install global extensions using
>>
>> # firefox --install-global-extension some-extension.xpi
>>
>> This does NOT work on my Ubuntu Feisty install though (firefox 2.0.0.11).
>> There are no errors; but nothing seems to happen either.
>>
>> Does anyone know if this does/should work on Ubuntu?
>>
>> Thanks
>> R.Parr, RHCE, Temporal Arts
>>

> If you're going to make global changes, you need to be root... it
> seems that you were running the command as root on Red Hat because the
> prompt in your command is # and not $. To run a command as root on
> Ubuntu, put sudo before the command... making it < sudo firefox
> --install-global-extension some-extension.xpi >

Have you confirmation that this works when run as root?

I am (and was) performing this as root; it still does NOT seem to work
on Ubuntu Feisty.

R.Parr