Old 09-25-2008, 08:57 PM
"Allen Meyers"

Default upgrades

I am new enough to linux and ubuntu to be unsure,
but curious as to what someone with 8.04 does to upgrade to 8.10.
Additionally does it make a difference is one is
running kubuntu?
*
Thanks
*
Allen

Old 09-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Pastor JW

On Thursday 25 September 2008 1:57:18 pm Allen Meyers wrote:
> I am new enough to linux and ubuntu to be unsure, but curious as to what
> someone with 8.04 does to upgrade to 8.10. Additionally does it make a
> difference is one is running kubuntu?

We are not quite to the tenth month of '08 yet so at best you would be
upgrading to a beta type release. It can be done but you would normally be
better off waiting for the official release. Maybe even a couple days later
so you can see if there is a lot of problems during upgrades for the people
on this list! There will also likely be an instruction page address posted
here before the release date by someone.

No, it does not matter if you are running Kubuntu which is what I use but I
also use Synaptic Package Manager and Update Manager because I like how they
work. Update manager will actually tell you when 8.10 is available! An
extra button will appear after you install all your normal updates and if you
click it, it will upgrade you to the new release! Thats it!

Old 09-25-2008, 11:25 PM
David Vincent

Old 09-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

> I am new enough to linux and ubuntu to be unsure, but
> curious as to what someone with 8.04 does to upgrade to
> 8.10.
> Additionally does it make a difference is one is running
> kubuntu?
>
> Thanks

Hello Allen,

Shouldn't make a difference if running Kubuntu. The OS is the same; only difference is Kubuntu installs kubuntu-desktop(kde) as default and Ubuntu install ubuntu-desktop(gnome) as default. You can have both installed at the same time amongst other desktops. You should be able to upgrade to Intreped by changing your /etc/apt/sources.list entries from hardy to intrepid(hope spelling is right) and doing(after sudo aptitude update and sudo aptitude upgrade or use adept or synaptic to upgrade hardy) sudo aptitude update followed by sudo aptitude dist-upgrade. You can also do this with synaptic and adept package manager(see manuals for each). The key thing is that Hardy should be upgraded to date before you try a dist-upgrade to Intrepid. You can get more detailed info by googling with key words: Ubuntu Intrepid upgrade or similiar.
Good luck and welcome to (K)Ubuntu.
PS-Another thing you can do if burn the intrepid alpha5(6?) iso to disk and install from it or wait for the beta release coming up soon. This way, if you have the disc space, you can leave hardy installed and install intrepid on another partition which is what I plan to do. I would use the alternate iso CD to install with as it's easier to partition your HDD that way; was for me anyway. Good luck and enjoy.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net