Old 09-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Mandi

Default Compiz install problem

I was trying to install Compiz by following the instructions at

http://thegabfather.wordpress.com/2008/05/17/how-to-install-compiz-fusion-in-ubuntu-hardy-heron/

and got to the end of step 1, the restart... it restarted, I signed into Ubuntu and got white screen.

I did a little research online using a different PC and can't really find anything that I even understand

to try to fix this. I'm brand new to Ubuntu and have only been reading email, a little surfing

and chat on it. So if you can please help me in baby steps that a complete moron could understand,

I don't have Windows on the box in question, only Ubuntu and the video card is a ATI Radeon 256

HD 2600 Pro AGP.

Thanks,

Mandi

Old 09-25-2008, 08:22 PM
"Michael "TheZorch" Haney"

Mandi wrote:
> I was trying to install Compiz by following the instructions at
>
> http://thegabfather.wordpress.com/2008/05/17/how-to-install-compiz-fusion-in-ubuntu-hardy-heron/
>
> and got to the end of step 1, the restart... it restarted, I signed
> into Ubuntu and got white screen.
> I did a little research online using a different PC and can't really
> find anything that I even understand
> to try to fix this. I'm brand new to Ubuntu and have only been reading
> email, a little surfing
> and chat on it. So if you can please help me in baby steps that a
> complete moron could understand,
> I don't have Windows on the box in question, only Ubuntu and the video
> card is a ATI Radeon 256
> HD 2600 Pro AGP.
>

> Thanks,
> Mandi

Which version of Ubuntu are you using? The current version is 8.04 and
as of 7.10 Ubuntu comes with Compiz Fusion by default. You need only
install the drivers for your graphics card in the Hardware Drivers
Manager, enable Desktop Effects and install the Compiz Fusion control
panel to adjust its advanced settings such as various special effects
and the rotating cube for switching between virtual desktops.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com