Old 09-25-2008, 12:49 PM
loody

Default where can I get the latest source.list

Dear all:
My source list seems pretty old, since I cannot get some packages I want.
Could someone tell me where I can find the latest source.list?
appreciate your help,
miloody

Old 09-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Nils Kassube

loody wrote:
> My source list seems pretty old, since I cannot get some packages I
> want. Could someone tell me where I can find the latest source.list?

Can you clarify for which version of Ubuntu you need it? Maybe it has
nothing to do with your sources.list but for your version of Ubuntu these
packages are no longer available?

Nils

Old 09-25-2008, 01:09 PM
"David Fox"

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 5:49 AM, loody <miloody@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all:
> My source list seems pretty old, since I cannot get some packages I want.
> Could someone tell me where I can find the latest source.list?

Depends on what version of Ubuntu you are using.

You really can't get "new" sources lists - that sources list you have
is tied to a particular distribution. If you are running something
older than Hardy, you can get "new" sources lists by changing all the
references to Hardy, doing an aptitude update and an aptitude
dist-upgrade. That'll get you new versions of the programs and
libraries you are using now, plus let you install files from a newer
distribution.

You really don't want to mix and match files from different distributions.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:31 PM
loody

> Depends on what version of Ubuntu you are using.
my version is ubuntu 8.04 - the Hardy Heron - released in April 2008.

BTW, I always cannot figure out what the "hardy", "edgy' mean.
Is it a name for different version, like 7.04, we call it edgy and
8.04, we call it hardy?
Or there are 2 distributions developing, hardy and edgy, the latest
version of the first so far is 7.04 and 8.04 for the second one?

appreciate your help,
miloody

Old 09-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Albert Charron

loody wrote:

BTW, I always cannot figure out what the "hardy", "edgy' mean.
Is it a name for different version, like 7.04, we call it edgy and
8.04, we call it hardy?
Or there are 2 distributions developing, hardy and edgy, the latest
version of the first so far is 7.04 and 8.04 for the second one?

appreciate your help,
miloody

Have a look at this page. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

It will give you answers to your "naming" questions...

The names like "Hardy Heron" are the code names while the "official"
name of the released version is like "Ubuntu 8.04". People usually still
call the released version by it's code name or by a short version of it
(as in Hardy).

I hope this helps!

Old 09-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Nils Kassube

loody wrote:
> my version is ubuntu 8.04 - the Hardy Heron - released in April 2008.

8.04 is the current version, so the sources.list should still be valid.
Does this <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SourcesList> help? Which
packages are you missing?

> BTW, I always cannot figure out what the "hardy", "edgy' mean.
> Is it a name for different version, like 7.04, we call it edgy and
> 8.04, we call it hardy?

Yes, e.g. "Hardy Heron" is the code name for 8.04:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_name#Commercial_code_names_in_the_computer_in dustry>
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelopmentCodeNames>

Nils

Old 09-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Pastor JW

On Thursday 25 September 2008 6:31:07 am loody wrote:
> > Depends on what version of Ubuntu you are using.
>
> my version is ubuntu 8.04 - the Hardy Heron - released in April 2008.
>
> BTW, I always cannot figure out what the "hardy", "edgy' mean.
> Is it a name for different version, like 7.04, we call it edgy and
> 8.04, we call it hardy?
> Or there are 2 distributions developing, hardy and edgy, the latest
> version of the first so far is 7.04 and 8.04 for the second one?

There are two releases between edgy and hardy; notice you are missing an "f"
and a "g" ? They were Fiesty and Gutsy! The current name is an "H" while
the next release is an "i" name. The one following that ought to be a "j"
(jumpin' jackalope or something!). Those numbers however, tell the year and
month it was released, for instance, 7.04 shows it was released 2007 and the
fourth month. 7.04 and 8.04 are a year apart, both were April releases.
That help?

Old 09-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 06:09 -0700, David Fox wrote:
> you can get "new" sources lists by changing all the
> references to Hardy, doing an aptitude update and an aptitude
> dist-upgrade.

Just for completeness's sake, this procedure is deprecated. The
supported upgrade procedures can be found here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

Old 09-25-2008, 11:41 PM
John Hubbard

Pastor JW wrote:

> The one following that ought to be a "j"
> (jumpin' jackalope or something!).
Jaunty jackalope. It is supposed to boot really fast.
But Intrepid Ibex is just around the corner.

--
-john

2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
0b11000100 || !0b11000100
0b11000100 || 0b00111011
0b11111111
255, that is the answer.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:59 PM
Pastor JW

On Thursday 25 September 2008 4:41:41 pm John Hubbard wrote:
> Pastor JW wrote:
> > The one following that ought to be a "j"
> > (jumpin' jackalope or something!).
>
> Jaunty jackalope. It is supposed to boot really fast.
> But Intrepid Ibex is just around the corner.

I had no idea what it actually was, I just threw that out there as I was
raised in Jackalope country and was trying to think of an animal that started
with a j!! (Originally from North Dakota right next to Canada and Montana.)
Oh, and we also had snipe hunts from time to time!