Old 12-10-2007, 08:20 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default Apt-get: how to check version number before installation?

Sometimes I want to be sure that I'm installing a minimum version
number of an application before I apt-get install it. How can I check
what version of a particular program apt-get will install, before I
install it. Fedora's Yum shows version number and asks for
confirmation before any installation, is it possible to replicate this
behaviour in apt-get?

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 12-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Padraig

*How can I check what version of a particular program apt-get will install, before I
install it.
*
sudo apt-get search <what you're looking for>

Old 12-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Padraig

*How can I check what version of a particular program apt-get will install, before I
install it.
*
sudo apt-get search <what you're looking for>
I'm sorry, that's:

sudo apt-cache search packagename

Old 12-10-2007, 08:31 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 10/12/2007, Padraig <padraigrorry@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2007 4:20 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > How can I check what version of a particular program apt-get will
> install, before I
> > install it.
>
> sudo apt-get search <what you're looking for>

feisty@feisty-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get search gimp
E: Invalid operation search
feisty@feisty-laptop:~$

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 12-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Thilo Six

Dotan Cohen wrote the following on 10.12.2007 22:31

</snip>

> feisty@feisty-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get search gimp
> E: Invalid operation search
> feisty@feisty-laptop:~$

sudo is not needed for "searching only" tasks.

$ apt-cache policy gimp
(espacilly usefull if you would like to know from where it would be installed)

$ aptitude show gimp
(more verbose)

> Dotan Cohen

HTH
--
Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 12-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Thilo Six

Dotan Cohen wrote the following on 10.12.2007 22:31
> On 10/12/2007, Padraig <padraigrorry@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 10, 2007 4:20 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How can I check what version of a particular program apt-get will
>> install, before I

</snip>

create the the file:
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99localsetting

with:
Aptitude::CmdLine::Show-Versions "true";

$ sudo aptitude install gimp

HTH
--
Thilo