Old 12-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Christoph Bier

Default /home can't be mounted (unknown filesystem type 'jmicron_raid_member')

Christoph Bier schrieb am 10.12.2007 19:52:

[...]

Stress and mental pressure make me blind. Now in the shower I had an
idea ... Telling mount via the -t option that the filesystem to be
mounted is an ext3 filesystem works :-). Though this is a clean
workaround (at least at home---I will try it tomorrow at office) I
still wonder why

mount /dev/sdb1 /home

suddenly stopped working.

Best regards
Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln: http://zvisionwelt.de/downloads.html (1.6)

Old 12-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Christoph Bier

Rashkae schrieb am 11.12.2007 00:43:

> Christoph Bier wrote:
>> Christoph Bier schrieb am 10.12.2007 19:52:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Stress and mental pressure make me blind. Now in the shower I had an
>> idea ... Telling mount via the -t option that the filesystem to be
>> mounted is an ext3 filesystem works :-). Though this is a clean
>> workaround (at least at home---I will try it tomorrow at office) I
>> still wonder why
>>
>> mount /dev/sdb1 /home
>>
>> suddenly stopped working.
>
> I'm only guessing here, but I think some of the data in your superblock
> is corrupt. The interesting part is why "Jmicron Raid Member" would get
> stuck in there. It's almost as though a mobo tried to make the USB drive
> part of a Mobo software raid.

Thanks for your explanatory approach!

> In any case, now that you can mount the drive, I would copy off all the
> data from it, then do a complete badblocks check. Assuming the drive is
> still ok, do a re-partition/re-format.

Ok, I'll do this. But what do you mean by a "complete" badblocks
check? The -f option? (BTW: No need for copying as I'm backing up my
data :-).)

Best wishes!
Christoph
--