Old 12-10-2007, 06:52 PM
David Armour

Default how to tell if motherboard is SATA or IDE friendly?

Hello,

I'd like to add a second hard-drive to my Gutsy system. And I've read that SATA
drives are nominally 'easier' to self-install (don't need to set jumper
switches), although I've also seen various messages that suggest Ubuntu & SATA
don't always play 'nice' with each other. (!)

But my dealer asked me if my motherboard supported SATA, and I haven't been able
to find a on-line source for determining that. System/Preferences/Hardware
Information and System/Administration/System Monitor supply lots of info that
might mean something to someone, but apart from telling me that I've got a
"Duron(tm)" processor rated at 1.6 GHz...

Do I have to look for something on the motherboard?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:42 PM
norman

> I'd like to add a second hard-drive to my Gutsy system. And I've read that SATA
> drives are nominally 'easier' to self-install (don't need to set jumper
> switches), although I've also seen various messages that suggest Ubuntu & SATA
> don't always play 'nice' with each other. (!)
>
> But my dealer asked me if my motherboard supported SATA, and I haven't been able
> to find a on-line source for determining that. System/Preferences/Hardware
> Information and System/Administration/System Monitor supply lots of info that
> might mean something to someone, but apart from telling me that I've got a
> "Duron(tm)" processor rated at 1.6 GHz...
>
> Do I have to look for something on the motherboard?

Have a look to see what hard-drive you have. If it has a wide ribbon
connector from the drive to the mother board than it is not a SATA
drive.

Norman

Old 12-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Eberhard Roloff

David Armour wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to add a second hard-drive to my Gutsy system. And I've read that SATA
> drives are nominally 'easier' to self-install (don't need to set jumper
> switches), although I've also seen various messages that suggest Ubuntu & SATA
> don't always play 'nice' with each other. (!)
>
> But my dealer asked me if my motherboard supported SATA, and I haven't been able
> to find a on-line source for determining that. System/Preferences/Hardware
> Information and System/Administration/System Monitor supply lots of info that
> might mean something to someone, but apart from telling me that I've got a
> "Duron(tm)" processor rated at 1.6 GHz...
>
> Do I have to look for something on the motherboard?
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received.

You may open up your case and either look for red or black SATA
connectors (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:SATA_ports.jpg)

and/or

look for the exact type of your board. With the type and manufacturer,
you can track down the specs via www.

Alternatively, you might also look into your BIOS. There should be
something about SATA around there, if you have SATA.

Imho chances are that your Duron does not have SATA ports, but I may be
wrong.

Kind regards
Eberhard

Old 12-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Padraig

On Dec 10, 2007 4:00 PM, Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi@gmx.de> wrote:

You may open up your case and either look for red or black SATA
connectors (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:SATA_ports.jpg)

SATA ports don't look like that anymore.
http://www.bjorn3d.com/Material/revimages/motherboards/asusp5be/sata_ports.jpg

Old 12-10-2007, 08:14 PM
David Armour

Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi <at> gmx.de> writes:
> David Armour wrote:
> > I'd like to add a second hard-drive to my Gutsy system. And I've read that
> >

> You may open up your case and either look for red or black SATA
> connectors (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:SATA_ports.jpg)
> and/or
> look for the exact type of your board. With the type and manufacturer,
> you can track down the specs via www.
> Alternatively, you might also look into your BIOS. There should be
> something about SATA around there, if you have SATA.

Thanks v. much for your reply. (and Norman's upthread!)

Opening up the case and having a look for a likely place to plug in the cable
seems easiest. I share your doubt that a Duron era motherboard will have SATA
connectors. I have since learned that I may also get SATA with a host-adaptor
card.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:06 AM
Willis

David Armour wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to add a second hard-drive to my Gutsy system. And I've read that SATA
> drives are nominally 'easier' to self-install (don't need to set jumper
> switches), although I've also seen various messages that suggest Ubuntu & SATA
> don't always play 'nice' with each other. (!)
>
> But my dealer asked me if my motherboard supported SATA, and I haven't been able
> to find a on-line source for determining that. System/Preferences/Hardware
> Information and System/Administration/System Monitor supply lots of info that
> might mean something to someone, but apart from telling me that I've got a
> "Duron(tm)" processor rated at 1.6 GHz...
>
> Do I have to look for something on the motherboard?
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received.

Look at your mother board and look at the wire connecting the hdd to the
board. If you have a 40 pin connector, about an inch and a half long.
it is an ide and if it is a small connector, about a half inch in
length, it is sata. Hope that helps.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:40 AM
norman

< snip >

> Look at your mother board and look at the wire connecting the hdd to the
> board. If you have a 40 pin connector, about an inch and a half long.
> it is an ide and if it is a small connector, about a half inch in
> length, it is sata. Hope that helps.

I trust you meant inch and half wide and not long. Similarly for the
SATA cable.

Norman

Old 12-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Willis

norman wrote:
> < snip >
>

>> Look at your mother board and look at the wire connecting the hdd to the
>> board. If you have a 40 pin connector, about an inch and a half long.
>> it is an ide and if it is a small connector, about a half inch in
>> length, it is sata. Hope that helps.
>>

> I trust you meant inch and half wide and not long. Similarly for the
> SATA cable.
>
> Norman

Sorry about that, it is about an inch and a half by i/4 inch and perhaps
5/16 deep and will have a 40 wire ribbon wire if ide and it is usually a
round wire with much smaller plugs if sata.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:58 PM
niel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

Old 12-11-2007, 04:00 PM