Old 09-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Wade Smart

Default pw on laptop -> forgotton

20080924 1053 GMT-6

Ah crap! I set up a laptop for the school system to try out - and they
loved it! But then some bone head changed the password and no one can
get back in. Short of reformatting, is there any recover option available?

Wade

Old 09-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:55:26AM -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
> Ah crap! I set up a laptop for the school system to try out - and they
> loved it! But then some bone head changed the password and no one can
> get back in. Short of reformatting, is there any recover option available?

Boot in rescue mode. You'll get an (unfriendly) root shell. Type

passwd username

to set a new password (replace with the real username that you created).

Marius Gedminas
--
Lost packet, 42 bytes, last seen on a saturated OC3, reward $$$.
-- Eric^2 on Slashdot

Old 09-24-2008, 04:00 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
> 20080924 1053 GMT-6
>
> Ah crap! I set up a laptop for the school system to try out - and they
> loved it! But then some bone head changed the password and no one can
> get back in. Short of reformatting, is there any recover option available?

Select the first "recovery" option in the grub menu at boot time ,
select "root shell" at the prompt, then do 'passwd <user>'. If you've
forgotten the <user> also, have a peek in /home/.

Chris

Old 09-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Eduard Goiu

Wade Smart wrote:
> 20080924 1053 GMT-6
>
> Ah crap! I set up a laptop for the school system to try out - and they
> loved it! But then some bone head changed the password and no one can
> get back in. Short of reformatting, is there any recover option available?
>
> Wade

yes, simple:
1.when the grub comes up, just press "e" to edit and add this line at
the end: init=/bin/bash .and press "b" to boot.
you need to remount " / " to be able to change the password(writing reason).

2. the other way is rescue mode.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:07 PM
James Tappin

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 18:59:48 +0300
Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt> wrote:

MG> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:55:26AM -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
MG> > Ah crap! I set up a laptop for the school system to try out - and they
MG> > loved it! But then some bone head changed the password and no one can
MG> > get back in. Short of reformatting, is there any recover option available?
MG>
MG> Boot in rescue mode. You'll get an (unfriendly) root shell. Type
MG>
MG> passwd username
MG>
MG> to set a new password (replace with the real username that you created).
MG>
MG> Marius Gedminas

I guess in the context there are a couple of other points:
1) Don't let the kids see you fix it
2) Create 2 users one for you to use as admin with the full sudo access an one for others to try out the system.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Wade Smart

Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:55:26AM -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
>> Ah crap! I set up a laptop for the school system to try out - and they
>> loved it! But then some bone head changed the password and no one can
>> get back in. Short of reformatting, is there any recover option available?
>
> Boot in rescue mode. You'll get an (unfriendly) root shell. Type
>
> passwd username
>
> to set a new password (replace with the real username that you created).
>
> Marius Gedminas

20080924 1110 GM-6

Thanks for that information.
Ill have to make sure that their admin doesnt do that again

Wade