Old 12-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Christoph Bier

Default /home can't be mounted (unknown filesystem type 'jmicron_raid_member')

Hello,

I already asked this question this morning on ubuntuforums.org in
"General Help" but got no answer yet. Sorry for my impatience but
it's a severe problem for me: I can't work at my office PC! Now that
I'm at home I try it on this mailing list---at office I don't have
access to it at the moment. Here's my problem:

My home directory of my office PC is located on an external USB
disk, identified by its UUID. From /etc/fstab:

UUID=5e6531ed-d85e-4300-b713-a61d9496a6e6 /home ext3
defaults,user,errors=remount-ro 0 1

Everything worked fine for about six weeks. But today it just fails
and I don't have any glue what's going wrong. When I try to mount
/home I get the following:

$sudo mount /home
mount: special device
/dev/disk/by-uuid/5e6531ed-d85e-4300-b713-a61d9496a6e6 does not exist

But the UUID is correct:

$ tune2fs -l /dev/sdb1 | grep 5e
Filesystem UUID: 5e6531ed-d85e-4300-b713-a61d9496a6e6

So I try to mount the disk by its block device name:

$ sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /home/
mount: unknown filesystem type 'jmicron_raid_member'

I never read this message before and the disk has an ext3 filesystem!

$ parted /dev/sdb print | grep -1 'File system'

Anzahl Beginn End Size Type File system Flags
1 32,3kB 25,0GB 25,0GB primär ext3

I already asked Google about it but didn't find anything. fsck.ext3
ends up without any errors or warnings:

$ sudo fsck.ext3 /dev/sdb1
e2fsck 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
UUID=home: clean, 76828/3051840 files, 2562742/6102684 blocks

And this morning I synced the USB disk with my desktop machine at
home without any problems. But now I have the same problem on my
desktop at home!

Because I have a lot of work to do I hope somebody can help me!

Best regards
Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln: http://zvisionwelt.de/downloads.html (1.6)