Old 09-23-2008, 09:09 PM
"Bains, Gurvinder"

Default FW: mythtv-setup: unable to connect to database

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has come across this issue of being unable

to complete setup of Mythtv, A personal video recorder application

(server) package during the backend part of the setup.

*

I am also running into this issue of not being able to complete the

backend setup. In my case I get the
following:

QMYSQL3: Unable to connect

QMYSQL3: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'bains-homepc' (111)

I checked permissions on mythconverg database for user 'mythtv' to

ensure I could not login and query the database to rule out acccess

issues.

During one purge and reinstall cycle I got access denied for mythtv user

so I granted permissions using the command below:

mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"192.168.1.%" identified by "mythtv";

mysql> flush privileges;

Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

Attached are screenshots of setup error and error during

mythfilldatabase and the log complete removal and reinstall of mythtv.

Any assistance in helping the setup forward would be appreciated. I am

trying to move away from Windows on home pc.

** Attachment added: "Screenshots and log of installation."

* http://launchpadlibrarian.net/17663277/mythtv_dberr3.zip

--

mythtv-setup: unable to connect to database

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/243504

You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber

of the bug.

Status in "mythtv" source package in Ubuntu: New

Bug description:

Binary package hint: mythtv-backend

$ dpkg -l mythtv-backend

ii *mythtv-backend * * *0.21.0+fixes16838-0 A personal
video recorder application (server)

$ lsb_release -rd

Release: * * * *8.04

what happens - I cannot complete the configuration of mythtv with mythtv-setup.
This appears to be because the mysql database is not fully populated.

what should happen - I should be able to set up mythtv.

Background information

$ id

uid=1000(vjm) gid=1000(vjm)
groups=4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),25(floppy),29( audio),30(dip),44(video),46(plugdev),107(fuse),110 (lpadmin),120(admin),125(mysql),126(mythtv),1000(v jm)

$ sudo /etc/init.d/mysql status

** /usr/bin/mysqladmin *Ver 8.41 Distrib 5.0.51a, for
debian-linux-gnu on i486

Copyright (C) 2000-2006 MySQL
AB

This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,

and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license

Server version * * * * *5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.1

Protocol version * * * *10

Connection * * * * * * *Localhost via UNIX
socket

UNIX socket * * * * * *
/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

Uptime: * * * * * * * * 1 hour 25 min
56 sec

Threads: 1 *Questions: 43 *Slow queries: 0 *Opens: 23
*Flush tables: 1 *Open tables: 17 *Queries per second avg: 0.008

$ ps -fade|grep myth

mythtv * *8983 * * 1 *0 22:22 ? * * *
*00:00:06 /usr/bin/mythbackend --daemon --logfile
/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log --pidfile /var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid

vjm * * * 9178 *6809 *0 22:34 pts/0 *
*00:00:00 grep myth

What I tried to do:

$ mythtv-setup

(I get a popup asking to close any running mythbackends. I say OK)

(I get a small xterm with error messages in it, saying unable to connect to
database.

Could not capture this for you, because a fullscreen display suddenly appears)

The fullscreen display prompts for things like database name, user , password.

I left these as defaults, and hit <return> immediately.

(Oh, and it shows "No UPnP devices available", to which I say
"OK" since there is nothing else to say.

On the original terminal I get:

** Stopping MythTV server: mythbackend * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * *
* [ OK ]

** Restarting MythTV server: mythbackend * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * *No /usr/bin/mythbackend found running; none
killed.

* * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * *
* * * [ OK ]

(I get another popup, would you like to run mythfilldatabase?) <cancel>

yet, I am able to connect to mysql as mythv@localhost, with no password.

$ mysql -u mythtv@localhost

Welcome to the MySQL monitor. *Commands end with ; or g.

Your MySQL connection id is 87923

Server version: 5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.1 (Ubuntu)

Type 'help;' or 'h' for help. Type 'c' to clear the buffer.

mysql> *show databases;

+--------------------+

| Database * * * * * |

+--------------------+

| information_schema |

+--------------------+

1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> use mythconverg;

ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user '@'localhost' to database
'mythconverg'

mysql> quit

Bye

I checked for .my.cnf files and so forth, could find none in my home dir nor in
/home/mythtv.

The closest thing was the .mythtv/mysql.txt file;

$ grep -v ^# /home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt

DBHostName=localhost

DBHostPing=no

DBUserName=mythtv

DBName=mythconverg

DBType=

DBPassword=***********

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv

< does nothing.>

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-backend

<answer NO to create v4l device nodes>

Then it asks me to run mythtv-setup. oh. Well that's going to be a problem.

Then I have to start mythtv-backend again.

Try that anyway:

$ /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend stop

$ /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start

(no errors, let's stop again)

$ /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend stop

$ mythtv-setup

does not seem to help.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gurvinder Singh

"God's gifts put man's best dreams to shame." - Elizabeth Barrett
Browning