Old 09-23-2008, 04:33 PM
John Linn

Default Problems detecting file-backed storage gadget on usb

I am running Ubuntu 6.10 as a USB Host machine. *

*

I am plugging in an embedded device running open source
linux 2.6.27 with the file-backed storage gadget running. I plug it into the USB
port of the Ubuntu machine and expect the host to add a new scsi device sd*
when it sees it but it never does. *Other mass storage devices seem to
work fine.

*

When plugging in the embedded device with file-backed
storage gadget I only get the following messages.

*

Sep 23 09:29:12 wolfgang-pc kernel: [21976600.100000] usb
5-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 71

Sep 23 09:29:13 wolfgang-pc kernel: [21976600.644000] usb
5-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 72

Sep 23 09:29:13 wolfgang-pc kernel: [21976601.188000] usb
5-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 73

Sep 23 09:29:13 wolfgang-pc kernel: [21976601.324000] usb
5-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 74

*

When I plug in other mass storage devices I get messages
about the scsi devices.

*

This works on a redhat machine so I’m thinking there’s
a configuration issue or a bug somewhere?

*

Thanks,

John

Old 09-24-2008, 07:43 PM
"Diogo Bhm"

Hi!

Could you try booting on a Live-CD 8.10 Ubuntu and check if it gets detected? I asked tha because 6.10 is from 2 years ago, there have been lots of updates since then, and as it's linux, many kernel speed improvements, so it will indeed be a good thing getting your OS updated.

Good luck

Old 09-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:43:15 -0300
"Diogo Bhm" <zeekay.diogo@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Could you try booting on a Live-CD 8.10 Ubuntu and check if it gets
> detected? I asked tha because 6.10 is from 2 years ago, there have been lots
> of updates since then, and as it's linux, many kernel speed improvements, so
> it will indeed be a good thing getting your OS updated.
>
> Good luck
>
> 2008/9/23 John Linn <John.Linn@xilinx.com>
>
> > I am running Ubuntu 6.10 as a USB Host machine.
> >

> > I am plugging in an embedded device running open source linux 2.6.27 with
> > the file-backed storage gadget running. I plug it into the USB port of the
> > Ubuntu machine and expect the host to add a new scsi device sd* when it sees
> > it but it never does. Other mass storage devices seem to work fine.
> >

> > When plugging in the embedded device with file-backed storage gadget I only
> > get the following messages.
> >

> > Sep 23 09:29:12 wolfgang-pc kernel: [21976600.100000] usb 5-5: new high
> > speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 71
> >
> > Sep 23 09:29:13 wolfgang-pc kernel: [21976600.644000] usb 5-5: new high
> > speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 72
> >
> > Sep 23 09:29:13 wolfgang-pc kernel: [21976601.188000] usb 5-5: new high
> > speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 73
> >
> > Sep 23 09:29:13 wolfgang-pc kernel: [21976601.324000] usb 5-5: new high
> > speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 74
> >

> > When I plug in other mass storage devices I get messages about the scsi
> > devices.
> >

> > This works on a redhat machine so I'm thinking there's a configuration
> > issue or a bug somewhere?
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > John

Instead of 8.10, use version 8.04, which is the latest stable release.
Version 8.10 is still Alpha 6, which is unstable and has some bugs in
it.

Good luck,

- --
Charlie Kravetz