Old 09-24-2008, 03:12 PM
"Greg Lindstrom"

Default Connecting a Projector

Hello,

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a gateway laptop and would like to know what needs to be done to connect a projector up to the 15-pin socket on the back of my laptop.* I assume that I need to add a screen to my xcofig file?* Is there documentation on what I have to do?

Thank-you for your help,

--greg

Old 09-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Karl Larsen

Greg Lindstrom wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a gateway laptop and would like to know what
> needs to be done to connect a projector up to the 15-pin socket on the back
> of my laptop. I assume that I need to add a screen to my xcofig file? Is
> there documentation on what I have to do?
>
> Thank-you for your help,
>
> --greg

I gave some briefings with my laptop a Sony 2005 model and I wanted
to have the briefing show on my laptop screen and of course out to the
projector. I used the keys on my laptop to transfer the image from the
laptop to the projector no problem and it worked fine. This was with
Fedora 8 Linux.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 09-24-2008, 07:56 PM

If you output the same number of pixels to both monitors, xrandr (or grandr or krandrtray) should do the trick. If you need different resolutions or a virtual desktop, probably. (K)Ubuntu wiki: xrandr for some guidance.
Paul
From: Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com>

Old 09-25-2008, 07:38 AM
Michael Welle

Hi,

"Greg Lindstrom" <gslindstrom@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a gateway laptop and would like to know what
> needs to be done to connect a projector up to the 15-pin socket on the back
> of my laptop. I assume that I need to add a screen to my xcofig file? Is
> there documentation on what I have to do?
the simplest approach is to clone the display. This works out of the
box with most laptops I've seen. Keep in mind that you often must boot
the laptop with a connected beamer or that you have to use some magic
keys to switch the external connector on.

In my setup I use a different approach. I've configured the xserver in
such a way that it provides to screens: the beamer is connectected to
screen 0.1 and the internal display is connected to screen
0.0. Furthermore I have a script that starts a vncserver on a third
display. One vncviewer is connected to the vncserver and shows up in
fullscreen mode on screen 0.1, a second vncviewer shows up in a smaller
window on screen 0.0. Now I can run my presentation software on the
vncserver.

With this setup I can see my slides on the beamer and on my internal
laptop display. So I can keep eye contact with my audience while
talking and do not need to turn around to see the current
slide. Furthermore I can display my notes etc. on the internal
display.

So, you may ask how to configure your xserver to provide to screens?
Unfortunately that is highly hardware dependend and often involves
lots of fiddeling. If someone is interested I can put my script (which
is no rocket science) and the xorg.conf for my laptop on a webserver

Michael

--
biff4emacsen - A biff-like tool for (X)Emacs
http://www.c0t0d0s0.de/biff4emacsen/biff4emacsen.html

Old 09-25-2008, 08:05 AM
"Fajar Priyanto"

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 3:38 PM, Michael Welle <mwe012008@gmx.net> wrote:
>> I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a gateway laptop and would like to know what
>> needs to be done to connect a projector up to the 15-pin socket on the back
>> of my laptop. I assume that I need to add a screen to my xcofig file? Is
>> there documentation on what I have to do?
> the simplest approach is to clone the display. This works out of the
> box with most laptops I've seen. Keep in mind that you often must boot
> the laptop with a connected beamer or that you have to use some magic
> keys to switch the external connector on.
>
> So, you may ask how to configure your xserver to provide to screens?
> Unfortunately that is highly hardware dependend and often involves
> lots of fiddeling. If someone is interested I can put my script (which
> is no rocket science) and the xorg.conf for my laptop on a webserver

Yes, Linux still has wayyyy to go in getting Projector to work
(Opensuse is pretty good at though).
Btw, my Compaq V3000 needs a little tweak on the xorg.conf in order
the projector to work.
I'm documenting it here:
http://linux2.arinet.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=155&Item id=35

HTH,
Fajar

Old 09-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Michael Welle

Hi,

"Fajar Priyanto" <fajarpri@arinet.org> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 3:38 PM, Michael Welle <mwe012008@gmx.net> wrote:
[...]
> Yes, Linux still has wayyyy to go in getting Projector to work
yepp, there is always room for improvement. But how often do you see
people with their shiny windos- or macos- based notebooks fiddling with
their tools and the beamer minutes before the presentation should
start? Problems with the beamers resolution? [1] How often do you see
their presentation tools doing strange things during the show? Have
you ever seen a laptop going into a reboot cycle during the show? I
have, it's great fun (if you aren't the guy doing the presentation,
off course ;-). None of that nasty stuff has happened to me yet,
knocking on wood. Well, I've spent an awful lot of time to prepare my
tools. But now they work for me, no worries during the show.

Michael

[1] I forgot to mention, that the approach with the vncserver works
around this.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Michael Welle

Hi,

Michael Welle <mwe012008@gmx.net> writes:
[...]
> lots of fiddeling. If someone is interested I can put my script (which
> is no rocket science) and the xorg.conf for my laptop on a webserver
a short draft is available at http://www.c0t0d0s0.de/beamer/

Michael

PS: Pleace consider replacing 'to screens' with 'two screens' in my