Old 12-10-2007, 06:56 PM
bill purvis

Default Character encoding problems with Firefox on 7.04

I've been chasing a problem that has been bugging me since
I switched to Ubuntu. I have data which includes the UK pound
sign, and yes you may have seen references to this before,
but it has moved on to another area. The problem now is
viewing the HTML files produced by PHP with FireFox.
In the HTML produced I include:

charset=iso-8859-1" >

(actually all on one line - not that it should matter).
However, when I view the page with Firefox, I find that
it always switches to UTF-8 which renders my pound characters
as this weird splodge. If I click on View->character-encodings
it displays a menu and I can select "Western (ISO8859-1)"
and then it displays correctly. However, when I move to
a different page it always reverts to UTF-8. Why is it
ignoring my <meta ...> command? How can I get it to
default to ISO-8859-1?

Under Mandrake I was using good old Mozilla which never
seemed to have a problem with this.

Bill
Bill

Old 12-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Aart Koelewijn

Op ma, 10-12-2007 te 19:56 +0000, schreef bill purvis:
> I've been chasing a problem that has been bugging me since
> I switched to Ubuntu. I have data which includes the UK pound
> sign, and yes you may have seen references to this before,
> but it has moved on to another area. The problem now is
> viewing the HTML files produced by PHP with FireFox.
> In the HTML produced I include:

> charset=iso-8859-1" >
>
> (actually all on one line - not that it should matter).
> However, when I view the page with Firefox, I find that
> it always switches to UTF-8 which renders my pound characters
> as this weird splodge. If I click on View->character-encodings
> it displays a menu and I can select "Western (ISO8859-1)"
> and then it displays correctly. However, when I move to
> a different page it always reverts to UTF-8. Why is it
> ignoring my <meta ...> command? How can I get it to
> default to ISO-8859-1?

In webpages the encoding used is the one set in the preferences of the
webserver (f.i. Apache). To be sure characters like € and £ are
displayed right you will have to use html-encoding, for € it is &euro;
for the £ I don't know &pound; ?. Or, if you are sure your page will
always be on a server that uses UTF-8, you might use the UTF-8 symbol.
Or, if you have access to the configuration of the server you might set
that to ISO 8859-1.

Hope this helps, had me confused for quit some time too.

Aart

Old 12-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 19:56 +0000, bill purvis wrote:

> (actually all on one line - not that it should matter).
> However, when I view the page with Firefox, I find that
> it always switches to UTF-8 which renders my pound characters
> as this weird splodge. If I click on View->character-encodings
> it displays a menu and I can select "Western (ISO8859-1)"
> and then it displays correctly. However, when I move to
> a different page it always reverts to UTF-8. Why is it
> ignoring my <meta ...> command? How can I get it to
> default to ISO-8859-1?

Your application server may be sending the character encoding as a real
HTTP header. You can use Firebug to see the headers. Another header tool
is Live HTTP headers found here: http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/ I
believe a real content-type header will override the meta header in the
HTML HEAD section.

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

Old 12-11-2007, 10:03 AM
bill purvis

On Monday 10 December 2007, Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 19:56 +0000, bill purvis wrote:
> > (actually all on one line - not that it should matter).
> > However, when I view the page with Firefox, I find that
> > it always switches to UTF-8 which renders my pound characters
> > as this weird splodge. If I click on View->character-encodings
> > it displays a menu and I can select "Western (ISO8859-1)"
> > and then it displays correctly. However, when I move to
> > a different page it always reverts to UTF-8. Why is it
> > ignoring my <meta ...> command? How can I get it to
> > default to ISO-8859-1?
>
> Your application server may be sending the character encoding as a real
> HTTP header. You can use Firebug to see the headers. Another header tool
> is Live HTTP headers found here: http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/ I
> believe a real content-type header will override the meta header in the
> HTML HEAD section.

I've used wget to download a raw copy of the stuff from the server and
converted the resulting file to hex.
My server (Apache) IS sending the stuff as ISO-8859-1, the problem is that
Firefox refuses to recognise the <meta ...> command. It can render ISO-8859-1
OK, provided I pull down View->CharacterEncoding and select it. I am getting
really mad with my computer at the moment - there seem to be so many things
where it won't do what I tell it. It was never like this when I was coding
in assembler on an 8K word machine! :-)

Bill