FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Karl Larsen
 
Default What is .eml? Solved

Adrian Puente Z. wrote:
> The way the email's binary attachments are sent through Internet is
> converting this files to uuencode Text format. So if you can open it in
> the gedit is norlmal the eml files are from Outlook but thunderbird can
> generate them too.
>
> You can test if the format is uuencode, it starts with
>
> begin 664 ee
> M86-P:0IA9&1U<V5R+F-O;F8*861J=&EM90IA;&EA<V5S"F%L=&5R;F%T:79E
> M<PIA;F%C<F]N=&%B"F%P86-H93(*87!G+F-O;F8*87!M"F%P<&%R;6]R"F%P
> M=`IA="YD96YY"F%V86AI"F)A<V@N8F%S:')C"F)A<VA?8V]M;6%N9%]N;W1?
> M9F]U;F0*8F%S:%]C;VUP;&5T:6]N"F)A<VA?8V]M<&QE=&EO;BYD"F)E86=L
> M90IB96QO8W,*8FET8VAX"F)L:VED+G1A8@IB;&MI9"YT86(N; VQD"F)L=65T
> M;V]T:`IB;V=O9FEL=&5R+F-F"F)O;F]B;RUA8W1I=F%T:6]N"F)R;&%P:2YK
>
> is uuencoded with no options
>
> if the file has something like this:
>
> begin-base64 664 ee
> YWNwaQphZGR1c2VyLmNvbmYKYWRqdGltZQphbGlhc2VzCmFsdG VybmF0aXZl
> cwphbmFjcm9udGFiCmFwYWNoZTIKYXBnLmNvbmYKYXBtCmFwcG FybW9yCmFw
> ...
> dAphdC5kZW55CmF2YWhpCmJhc2guYmFzaHJjCmJhc2hfY29tbW FuZF9ub3Rf
> Zm91bmQKYmFzaF9jb21wbGV0aW9uCmJhc2hfY29tcGxldGlvbi 5kCmJlYWds
> ====
>
> It is uuencoded on base64. I remembered some years a trick with the
> wrong uuencoded attachments: If you copy the text from the beggining to
> the end to another text file, then you can use the uudecode to open it.
>
> In windows you put the .b64 extension and open it with winzip.
>
> cheers,
>
> Karl Larsen escribió:
>
>> I have some files sent to me by Igor in Russia that are
>> filename_pps.eml and when I click on the file it comes up in Gedit. I
>> wonder if .eml is a compressed for or something? Perhaps like .zip?
>>
>> Karl
>>
>>
>
>
First please do not top comment. We bottom here.


I got help from Jensen and did convert the .eml file to the original
email and then save the pps file which works on Open Office just fine.

I use Thunderbird for Ubuntu and I wrote myself an email and
attached the file. When the email arrived I clicked on the attachment
and it was the original email from Germany to Russia. Attached to that
message was the pps file. I saved that and it works.

Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-24-2008, 01:12 PM
"Mark Haney"
 
Default What is .eml? Solved

Karl Larsen wrote:

>>>
>>
> First please do not top comment. We bottom here.



You know, I REALLY could be a smartass and say something really snarky
here. But I won't. I'll just leave it to everyone's imagination to run
with these two lines.


--
Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar


Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-24-2008, 03:59 PM
NoOp
 
Default What is .eml? Solved

On 09/24/2008 06:12 AM, Mark Haney wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>>>>
>>>
>> First please do not top comment. We bottom here.
>
>
>
> You know, I REALLY could be a smartass and say something really snarky
> here. But I won't. I'll just leave it to everyone's imagination to run
> with these two lines.
>
>

You might want to read (and tape in front of your monitor):
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailinglists/etiquette


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-24-2008, 04:36 PM
"Mark Haney"
 
Default What is .eml? Solved

NoOp wrote:

>>
>
> You might want to read (and tape in front of your monitor):
> http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailinglists/etiquette
>
>



Get a grip. I mean really get a grip. Man, this list has no sense of
humor at all. You people really need to lighten up.

Do you really think I care what you think I should do? No. I've been
doing this for so long I was there when the 'netiquette' thing got
started to save us from the n00bs. So step off your soap box.

--
Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar


Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Karl Larsen
 
Default What is .eml? Solved

NoOp wrote:
> On 09/24/2008 06:12 AM, Mark Haney wrote:
>
>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>
>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>> First please do not top comment. We bottom here.
>>>
>>
>> You know, I REALLY could be a smartass and say something really snarky
>> here. But I won't. I'll just leave it to everyone's imagination to run
>> with these two lines.
>>
>>
>>
>
> You might want to read (and tape in front of your monitor):
> http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailinglists/etiquette
>
>
>
Also say that I found an easier method. With Thunderbird you click File
and then save-as and then find the .eml file you want to fix. and it
will be shown on Thunderbird directly. Find the filename.pps which is
part of the message and right click and choose save and put it where you
want.


Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-25-2008, 04:17 AM
NoOp
 
Default What is .eml? Solved

On 09/24/2008 09:36 AM, Mark Haney wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>>>
>>
>> You might want to read (and tape in front of your monitor):
>> http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailinglists/etiquette
>>
>>
>
>
>
> Get a grip. I mean really get a grip. Man, this list has no sense of
> humor at all. You people really need to lighten up.
>
> Do you really think I care what you think I should do? No. I've been
> doing this for so long I was there when the 'netiquette' thing got
> started to save us from the n00bs. So step off your soap box.
>

Indeed; you have been doing this for so long (trolling with Karl) that
it is becoming pretty tiresome. You obviously have some good opinions &
suggestions to contribute here, but if you want to troll Karl please do
it off list.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Karl Larsen
 
Default What is .eml? Solved

NoOp wrote:
> On 09/24/2008 09:36 AM, Mark Haney wrote:
>
>> NoOp wrote:
>>
>>
>>> You might want to read (and tape in front of your monitor):
>>> http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailinglists/etiquette
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Get a grip. I mean really get a grip. Man, this list has no sense of
>> humor at all. You people really need to lighten up.
>>
>> Do you really think I care what you think I should do? No. I've been
>> doing this for so long I was there when the 'netiquette' thing got
>> started to save us from the n00bs. So step off your soap box.
>>
>>
>
> Indeed; you have been doing this for so long (trolling with Karl) that
> it is becoming pretty tiresome. You obviously have some good opinions &
> suggestions to contribute here, but if you want to troll Karl please do
> it off list.
>
>
>
NoOP has no clue where Trolling and Help divide. I had zero idea
what .eml meant and it appears there are many others who were in the
dark as well.

When Jensen told me to import my files into Thunderbird I was off
and running. The first method was bad. I sent myself the file as an
attachment but that meant sending a large file to my ISP so he then sent
it back. It worked fine.

Then on Thunderbird I found File -> Save As -> File and it let me
search for the proper file and it then automatically converted it to an
email with attached files. I saved the attached files.

Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-25-2008, 12:56 PM
"Mark Haney"
 
Default What is .eml? Solved

NoOp wrote:

>>
>
> Indeed; you have been doing this for so long (trolling with Karl) that
> it is becoming pretty tiresome. You obviously have some good opinions &
> suggestions to contribute here, but if you want to troll Karl please do
> it off list.
>
>

Trolling with Karl? You cannot be serious. My entire issue with Karl
is his continued lack of understanding that I have spent considerable
amounts of time trying to rectify. /Someone/ needs to step up and find
a way to get him to actually learn not only how to handle his system but
also to be more careful in what information he posts on this list.

Sadly, most people ignore him. I am not one of those. Yes, I get
irritated at times, but who doesn't.

As I have said countless times before, if you do not like what I have to
say, either filter it or ignore it. I am unconcerned with your opinion
of me personally.

This list is to help people, not make friends. If acquaintances are
made, that is fine. If not, no skin off my nose. I /want/ linux to
flourish and be useful for everyone. But I know I will not please
everyone by what I say or indeed, how I say it.

Most times, I'm brutally honest. I don't like fannying about. It's not
my nature. But, I have close to 15 years linux experience behind me and
I do believe I can be of service to those who ask for it. That is what
this list is for.

I spend countless hours every week browsing the lists to see if I can
help someone. I don't have to do it, but I do. And if those of us who
do know more than the average computer user didn't, linux wouldn't be
where it is today. And a LARGE portion of questions would probably go
unanswered. Which, personally, is frustrating to me.

You are quite welcome to filter my posts out, if you want. That is your
prerogative. If you have a personal problem with me, then take it off
list.

For someone who /hates trolling/ you sure do spout off alot about it
on-list.


--
Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar


Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:01 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org