Old 09-24-2008, 09:01 AM
marc

Default Acessing VMware Ubuntu by server name

Hi,

I have Ubuntu running as a VMware vm on a Windows XP box.

I can access services, say Apache, by the vm's IP address, but I would
like to access them by their machine/domain name.

In other words, use:

http://server/helpdesk

instead of:

http://192.168.1.201/helpdesk

Is there a way to do this?

I am using a bridged connection, so the vm has its own IP address.

--
Cheers,
Marc

Old 09-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Sven

On 9/24/08, marc <gmane@auxbuss.com> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Marc

> I have Ubuntu running as a VMware vm on a Windows XP box.
> I can access services, say Apache, by the vm's IP address, but I would
> like to access them by their machine/domain name.
>
> In other words, use:
>
> http://server/helpdesk
>
> instead of:
>
> http://192.168.1.201/helpdesk

In Windows XP there is also a hosts file: c:windowssystem32driversetchosts
Write there IP, hostname and domain; if you need the name resolution only local.

If you need the name resolution in LAN, update an A record in your DNS servers.

> Is there a way to do this?
> I am using a bridged connection, so the vm has its own IP address.

> Cheers,
> Marc

regards
Sven

Old 09-24-2008, 09:34 AM
"Fajar Priyanto"

I have Ubuntu running as a VMware vm on a Windows XP box.

I can access services, say Apache, by the vm's IP address, but I would

like to access them by their machine/domain name.

In other words, use:

*http://server/helpdesk

instead of:

*http://192.168.1.201/helpdesk

Is there a way to do this?

I am using a bridged connection, so the vm has its own IP address.

Yes, there are two ways:
1. Setup DNS
2. Setup your /etc/hosts:
192.168.1.201 server.bla.bla server

HTH,
Fajar

Old 09-24-2008, 11:25 AM
"Owen Townend"

2008/9/24 marc <gmane@auxbuss.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I have Ubuntu running as a VMware vm on a Windows XP box.
>
> I can access services, say Apache, by the vm's IP address, but I would
> like to access them by their machine/domain name.
>
> In other words, use:
>
> http://server/helpdesk
>
> instead of:
>
> http://192.168.1.201/helpdesk
>
> Is there a way to do this?
>
> I am using a bridged connection, so the vm has its own IP address.

Hey,
If you're able to ping other hosts on your network by name already
then you probably just need this line in your /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
file:

send host-name "<hostname>";

This will do exactly what it sounds like... it will send the server
its hostname when it updates its IP address through dhcp. Many home
modems and routers use dnsmasq or similar and map dhcp client names to
dns entries.

cheers,
Owen.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:14 PM
marc

Sven said...
> On 9/24/08, marc <gmane@auxbuss.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi Marc
>
> > I have Ubuntu running as a VMware vm on a Windows XP box.
> > I can access services, say Apache, by the vm's IP address, but I would
> > like to access them by their machine/domain name.
> >
> > In other words, use:
> >
> > http://server/helpdesk
> >
> > instead of:
> >
> > http://192.168.1.201/helpdesk
>
> In Windows XP there is also a hosts file: c:windowssystem32driversetchosts
> Write there IP, hostname and domain; if you need the name resolution only local.
>
> If you need the name resolution in LAN, update an A record in your DNS servers.

DNS in a Windows environment? :-) Editing hosts for each user wouldn't
be usable.

--
Cheers,
Marc

Old 09-24-2008, 06:16 PM
marc

Owen Townend said...
> 2008/9/24 marc <gmane@auxbuss.com>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have Ubuntu running as a VMware vm on a Windows XP box.
> >
> > I can access services, say Apache, by the vm's IP address, but I would
> > like to access them by their machine/domain name.
> >
> > In other words, use:
> >
> > http://server/helpdesk
> >
> > instead of:
> >
> > http://192.168.1.201/helpdesk
> >
> > Is there a way to do this?
> >
> > I am using a bridged connection, so the vm has its own IP address.
>
> Hey,
> If you're able to ping other hosts on your network by name already
> then you probably just need this line in your /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
> file:
>
> send host-name "<hostname>";
>
> This will do exactly what it sounds like... it will send the server
> its hostname when it updates its IP address through dhcp. Many home
> modems and routers use dnsmasq or similar and map dhcp client names to
> dns entries.

Thanks, Owen. I'm pretty sure this would work.

In the end, I installed Samba, and something it does magically made the
VM available to the local network.

--
Cheers,
Marc

Old 09-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Sven

On 09/24/2008 08:14 PM, marc wrote:
> DNS in a Windows environment? :-) Editing hosts for each user wouldn't
> be usable.

Enterprises use Windows in connection with an Active Directory AD domain
(where DNS servers are a requirement). Everything non-DNS is obsolete in
a Microsoft world.