Old 09-24-2008, 12:21 AM
Keith Clark

Default Latest test version

Does the latest version of Ubuntu....the test release of 8.10 I
think.....install overtop of 8.04? Is it just an update?

Keith

Old 09-24-2008, 12:29 AM
"Jim Rosser"

Im not sure exactly what you mean but yes im pretty sure you can do a distro upgrade to the latest alpha version of Ubuntu.*

Does the latest version of Ubuntu....the test release of 8.10 I think.....install overtop of 8.04? *Is it just an update?

Keith

Jim Rosser
Winchester Designs

Old 09-24-2008, 12:32 AM
Keith Clark

Jim Rosser wrote:
Im not sure exactly what you mean but yes im pretty sure you can do a
distro upgrade to the latest alpha version of Ubuntu.

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 7:21 PM, Keith Clark
Does the latest version of Ubuntu....the test release of 8.10 I
think.....install overtop of 8.04? Is it just an update?

Keith

Jim Rosser
Winchester Designs
Sorry, to clarify. If I want to try the latest 8.10 release, how do I
get it and can I install it over top of 8.04 or do I need to try it in a VM?

Old 09-24-2008, 12:42 AM
"Jim Rosser"

Since it is still in Alpha i would suggest just using it on a vm and you can download the latest from
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/
Im sure there is a way to upgrade from 8.04 to the latest alpha but i dont know how well it actually goes maybe someone else on the list has.* I do know that i have been using it since alpha 5 and it has been pretty smooth, there have been a few bugs here and there but no show stoppers except for the fact that flash 10 likes to flicker but you can easily install flash 9.

Im not sure exactly what you mean but yes im pretty sure you can do a distro upgrade to the latest alpha version of Ubuntu.

* *Does the latest version of Ubuntu....the test release of 8.10 I

* *think.....install overtop of 8.04? *Is it just an update?

* *Keith

* *--

* *ubuntu-users mailing list

* *ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com <mailto:ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>

* *Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

Old 09-24-2008, 12:45 AM
Keith Clark

Jim Rosser wrote:
[...]

Thanks Jim! Perfect, I'll try it in a VM and see how it goes.

Keith

Old 09-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 20:21 -0400, Keith Clark wrote:
> Does the latest version of Ubuntu....the test release of 8.10 I
> think.....install overtop of 8.04? Is it just an update?

There are installations disks to download, but you can also upgrade:
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/intrepid/alpha6

Please note this very serious bug in current versions:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2008-September/000488.html

Note that Ubuntu alpha versions tend to break quite heavily -- running
Ubuntu unstable is NOT comparable to running Debian stable. I suggest
that you consider installing in a virtual machine or a spare computer.

Check the outstanding bugs:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+bugs?field.milestone%
3Alist=1325

Consider waiting for the Beta:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IntrepidReleaseSchedule

Old 09-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 19:42 -0500, Jim Rosser wrote:
> I do know that i have been using it since alpha 5 and it has been
> pretty smooth

Just to make sure that nobody misunderstands this: it was smooth _for_
_Jim_

There are still serious issues depending on hardware, such as a possibly
hardware-damaging bug with certain Intel hardware, or the fact that the
fglrx driver does not work (which sucks at least if your ATi card is not
supported by the free radeon driver)

Prior to alpha 5 there was a case of pam being broken so that logging in
would not work, and other stuff going wrong.

So, everybody considering an upgrade should know what they are getting
themselves into

Old 09-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 18:31 +0200, Mario Vukelic should have written:
> Ubuntu unstable is NOT comparable to running Debian unstable
^^
_un_stable