Old 09-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Jensen Somers

Default What is .eml?

Karl Larsen wrote:
> I have some files sent to me by Igor in Russia that are
> filename_pps.eml and when I click on the file it comes up in Gedit. I
> wonder if .eml is a compressed for or something? Perhaps like .zip?
>
> Karl

They are email files, most likely sent with Outlook or Outlook Express.
Most file extensions can belong to multiple programs however, but the
emails from outlook are the most common usage.

- Jensen

Old 09-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Karl Larsen

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 09-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Eric Maquiling

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 02:27:54PM -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> I have some files sent to me by Igor in Russia that are
>filename_pps.eml and when I click on the file it comes up in Gedit. I
>wonder if .eml is a compressed for or something? Perhaps like .zip?

Outlook email format
--
em

Old 09-23-2008, 08:28 PM
"Diogo Böhm"

http://filext.com/file-extension/EML

They seem to only be attached e-mails due to a bad forwarding habit.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:31 PM
"Mark Haney"

Karl Larsen wrote:
> I have some files sent to me by Igor in Russia that are
> filename_pps.eml and when I click on the file it comes up in Gedit. I
> wonder if .eml is a compressed for or something? Perhaps like .zip?
>
> Karl

They are email files. These are usually created when your mail client
is set to 'forward as an attachment'. I'd say a good portion of them
are Outlook or (more likely) OE forwards.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 09-23-2008, 09:31 PM
"Shawn McCuan"

>> filename_pps.eml and when I click on the file it comes up in Gedit. I
>> wonder if .eml is a compressed for or something? Perhaps like .zip?

> They are email files, most likely sent with Outlook or Outlook Express.
> Most file extensions can belong to multiple programs however, but the
> emails from outlook are the most common usage.

It could also be from "Windows Mail" in Windows Vista.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:50 PM
Ken McLennan

G'day there One & All,

They are email files. These are usually created when your mail client
is set to 'forward as an attachment'. I'd say a good portion of them
are Outlook or (more likely) OE forwards.

*** It's not just the Windows mailers that use the format. I'm on
Thunderbird writing this, and if I try to save a message as a file it
offers ".eml" as the default extension.

See ya

Ken McLennan

Qld, Australia

Old 09-23-2008, 10:03 PM
"Mark Haney"

Ken McLennan wrote:
> G'day there One & All,
>
>> They are email files. These are usually created when your mail client
>> is set to 'forward as an attachment'. I'd say a good portion of them
>> are Outlook or (more likely) OE forwards.
>>

> It's not just the Windows mailers that use the format. I'm on
> Thunderbird writing this, and if I try to save a message as a file it
> offers ".eml" as the default extension.
>
> See ya
> Ken McLennan
> Qld, Australia

I know that. I was just going on the fact that most users will use
either Outlook or OE, and I know OE forwards mail as attachments by
default, which is why I mentioned it. Notice that I said 'usually' and
'a good portion'. It wasn't a hard and fast definitive by any means.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Ken McLennan

G'day there Mark,

I know that. I was just going on the fact that most users will use
either Outlook or OE, and I know OE forwards mail as attachments by
default, which is why I mentioned it. Notice that I said 'usually' and
'a good portion'. It wasn't a hard and fast definitive by any means.

*** <shrug> N.A.P. I wasn't commenting on what people do or don't
know. Nor did I consider the list of email clients to be exclusive. It
was just that up to that point in the thread everyone had been talking
about O or OE. I simply included another client that uses the same
format to illustrate that it wasn't solely a Windows issue.
</shrug>

See ya

Ken McLennan

Qld, Australia

Old 09-24-2008, 06:17 AM
"Adrian Puente Z."

The way the email's binary attachments are sent through Internet is
converting this files to uuencode Text format. So if you can open it in
the gedit is norlmal the eml files are from Outlook but thunderbird can
generate them too.

You can test if the format is uuencode, it starts with

begin 664 ee
M86-P:0IA9&1U<V5R+F-O;F8*861J=&EM90IA;&EA<V5S"F%L=&5R;F%T:79E
M<PIA;F%C<F]N=&%B"F%P86-H93(*87!G+F-O;F8*87!M"F%P<&%R;6]R"F%P
M=`IA="YD96YY"F%V86AI"F)A<V@N8F%S:')C"F)A<VA?8V]M;6%N9%]N;W1?
M9F]U;F0*8F%S:%]C;VUP;&5T:6]N"F)A<VA?8V]M<&QE=&EO;BYD"F)E86=L
M90IB96QO8W,*8FET8VAX"F)L:VED+G1A8@IB;&MI9"YT86(N; VQD"F)L=65T
M;V]T:`IB;V=O9FEL=&5R+F-F"F)O;F]B;RUA8W1I=F%T:6]N"F)R;&%P:2YK

is uuencoded with no options

if the file has something like this:

begin-base64 664 ee
YWNwaQphZGR1c2VyLmNvbmYKYWRqdGltZQphbGlhc2VzCmFsdG VybmF0aXZl
cwphbmFjcm9udGFiCmFwYWNoZTIKYXBnLmNvbmYKYXBtCmFwcG FybW9yCmFw
dAphdC5kZW55CmF2YWhpCmJhc2guYmFzaHJjCmJhc2hfY29tbW FuZF9ub3Rf
Zm91bmQKYmFzaF9jb21wbGV0aW9uCmJhc2hfY29tcGxldGlvbi 5kCmJlYWds
====

It is uuencoded on base64. I remembered some years a trick with the
wrong uuencoded attachments: If you copy the text from the beggining to
the end to another text file, then you can use the uudecode to open it.

In windows you put the .b64 extension and open it with winzip.

cheers,

--
Adrián Puente Z.
[www.hackarandas.com]

"... ruego a mi orgullo que se acompañe siempre de mi prudencia,
y si algún día mi prudencia se echara a volar, que al menos
pueda volar junto con mi locura"
--Nietzche

Huella: FBD6 4C36 2557 C64C 1318 70A8 F561 CB6F 4E40 5AFB
http://www.hackarandas.com/apuente_at_hackarandas.com.asc.gz