Old 09-23-2008, 05:53 PM
"Semiu Kareem"

Default Please help me out

Dear sir/ma,

Please I need help to install ubuntu linux on my laptop. I am
currently downloading the version 8.04 for desktop. What configuration do I need
on my hp 530 notebook with one partition already loaded with window vista and
how do I achieve the configuration?

*

Thank you in anticipation for your help.

*

Semiu Kareem

Nigeria.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:05 PM
"Mark Haney"

Semiu Kareem wrote:
> Dear sir/ma,
>
> Please I need help to install ubuntu linux on my laptop. I am currently
> downloading the version 8.04 for desktop. What configuration do I need on my
> hp 530 notebook with one partition already loaded with window vista and how
> do I achieve the configuration?

Sure, I'll bite. You have Vista on the laptop already, correct? I take
it Vista takes up the entire drive, correct? You will need to resize
the NTFS partition that vista is on to allow sufficient free space to
install Ubuntu (>=10GB is a good start, although others may argue that).

I do not know if Ubuntu has qparted built in the installer to allow
auto-resizing the partitions on the fly, but if not, I suggest
downloading and burning the System Rescue CD (sysresccd.org) and using
the partition tools on it.

When that's done, just tell Ubuntu to use the free space available to
install. Make sure it doesn't say to delete all partitions. That would
be bad if you wanted to keep Vista on there.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 09-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Karl Larsen

Semiu Kareem wrote:
> Dear sir/ma,
>
> Please I need help to install ubuntu linux on my laptop. I am currently
> downloading the version 8.04 for desktop. What configuration do I need on my
> hp 530 notebook with one partition already loaded with window vista and how
> do I achieve the configuration?
>

> Thank you in anticipation for your help.
>

> Semiu Kareem
>
> Nigeria.

Step 1: Back up 100% of your Windows.

Step 2: Defrag your Windows.

Step 3: Load Ubuntu from your LiveCD of Hardy.

Ask for more help if needed.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 09-23-2008, 06:22 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Karl Larsen schrieb:
> Semiu Kareem wrote:
>> Dear sir/ma,
>>
>> Please I need help to install ubuntu linux on my laptop. I am currently
>> downloading the version 8.04 for desktop. What configuration do I need on my
>> hp 530 notebook with one partition already loaded with window vista and how
>> do I achieve the configuration?
>>

>> Thank you in anticipation for your help.
>>

>> Semiu Kareem
>>
>> Nigeria.
>>

> Step 1: Back up 100% of your Windows.
>
> Step 2: Defrag your Windows.
>
> Step 3: Load Ubuntu from your LiveCD of Hardy.
>
> Ask for more help if needed.
>
> Karl

If you begin with 2 and then proceed to one, your backup medium will
not be fragmented ;-)
Otherwise, yes, doing a _full_ backup of anything that you have on
your disk, _before_ doing anything else is very good advice!!!

kind regards
Eberhard

Old 09-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Nils Kassube

Mark Haney wrote:
> I do not know if Ubuntu has qparted built in the installer to allow
> auto-resizing the partitions on the fly, but if not, I suggest
> downloading and burning the System Rescue CD (sysresccd.org) and using
> the partition tools on it.

A better solution is to use the partitioning tool coming with Vista to
resize the partition.

Nils

Old 09-23-2008, 07:07 PM
"Semiu Kareem"

Thank you all.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Semiu Kareem wrote:
>> Dear sir/ma,
>>
>> Please I need help to install ubuntu linux on my laptop. I am currently
>> downloading the version 8.04 for desktop. What configuration do I need on my
>> hp 530 notebook with one partition already loaded with window vista and how
>> do I achieve the configuration?
>>

>> Thank you in anticipation for your help.
>>

>> Semiu Kareem
>>
>> Nigeria.
>>

> Step 1: Back up 100% of your Windows.
>
> Step 2: Defrag your Windows.
>
> Step 3: Load Ubuntu from your LiveCD of Hardy.
>
> Ask for more help if needed.
>
> Karl

Yeah, that was real helpful Karl. Plenty of detail & info...

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

"From there to here,
From here to there,
Funny things
are everywhere."
--- Dr. Seuss

Old 09-23-2008, 07:41 PM
"Michael "TheZorch" Haney"

Semiu Kareem wrote:
> Thank you all.
>
> On 9/23/08, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Mark Haney wrote:
>>
>>> I do not know if Ubuntu has qparted built in the installer to allow
>>> auto-resizing the partitions on the fly, but if not, I suggest
>>> downloading and burning the System Rescue CD (sysresccd.org) and using
>>> the partition tools on it.
>>>
>> A better solution is to use the partitioning tool coming with Vista to
>> resize the partition.
>>

>> Nils
>>
>> --

You can also install Ubuntu inside of Windows. This does not require
any repartitioning of the hard drive at all as Ubuntu will run from
within a virtual disk when you boot into Linux. On most modern systems
there is no noticeable performance hit when using Ubuntu installed with
Wubi. I've not noticed one at least.

However, there are limitations with this. For instance, if something
happens to your Windows partition you also loose your Ubuntu install,
and defragmentation can cause your Ubuntu install to not boot properly
so if you do use Vista regularly defrag often to prevent this kind of
problem. Assuming you try the Wubi install method first to try Ubuntu
out before making more significant changes to your hard drive.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 09-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Karl Larsen

Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Semiu Kareem wrote:
>>
>>> Dear sir/ma,
>>>
>>> Please I need help to install ubuntu linux on my laptop. I am currently
>>> downloading the version 8.04 for desktop. What configuration do I need on my
>>> hp 530 notebook with one partition already loaded with window vista and how
>>> do I achieve the configuration?
>>>

>>> Thank you in anticipation for your help.
>>>

>>> Semiu Kareem
>>>
>>> Nigeria.
>>>

>> Step 1: Back up 100% of your Windows.
>>
>> Step 2: Defrag your Windows.
>>
>> Step 3: Load Ubuntu from your LiveCD of Hardy.
>>
>> Ask for more help if needed.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Yeah, that was real helpful Karl. Plenty of detail & info...

Right Dave please give the real detailed version you feel I did not
do. Can't wait to see the detailed instructions!

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 09-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>> Karl Larsen wrote:

>>> Step 1: Back up 100% of your Windows.
>>>
>>> Step 2: Defrag your Windows.
>>>
>>> Step 3: Load Ubuntu from your LiveCD of Hardy.
>>>
>>> Ask for more help if needed.
>>>
>>> Karl

>> Yeah, that was real helpful Karl. Plenty of detail & info...

> Right Dave please give the real detailed version you feel I did not
> do. Can't wait to see the detailed instructions!
>
> Karl

Well, there are many methods, but it boils down to:

No special configuration is needed for that laptop. Should just work
out of the box.

Is Vista using the whole drive, or just a part with it's one partition?
Does the user want to keep Vista running? If so, defrag then backup Vista.

Once that's finished, boot from the LiveCD. If Vista is using the whole
drive, you will need to shrink it first. Gpartd is good for this.
Now the install can begin. Keep an eye on what the installer screens say.
When it gets to the partitioning screen, if you want to keep Vista,
read the instructions, and used the Guided steps. If not, let it use the
whole drive & partition how it likes.
Once it's done loading, there shouldn't be any issues.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

"From there to here,