Old 09-23-2008, 08:29 PM
"Mark Haney"

Default Please help me out

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>> Karl Larsen wrote:

>>> Right Dave please give the real detailed version you feel I did not
>>> do. Can't wait to see the detailed instructions!
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> Well, there are many methods, but it boils down to:
>>
>> No special configuration is needed for that laptop. Should just work
>> out of the box.
>>
>> Is Vista using the whole drive, or just a part with it's one partition?
>> Does the user want to keep Vista running? If so, defrag then backup Vista.
>>
>> Once that's finished, boot from the LiveCD. If Vista is using the whole
>> drive, you will need to shrink it first. Gpartd is good for this.
>> Now the install can begin. Keep an eye on what the installer screens say.
>> When it gets to the partitioning screen, if you want to keep Vista,
>> read the instructions, and used the Guided steps. If not, let it use the
>> whole drive & partition how it likes.
>> Once it's done loading, there shouldn't be any issues.
>>

> Yours is not much longer and does the LiveCD have gparted within? I
> so far always use the manual install because I have made the partitions
> before loading.
>
> Karl

Not much longer? Are we looking at the same set of directions? Not
only is his longer, they are more detailed.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 09-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Karl Larsen

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 09-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>> Karl Larsen wrote:

>>> Right Dave please give the real detailed version you feel I did not
>>> do. Can't wait to see the detailed instructions!
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> Well, there are many methods, but it boils down to:
>>
>> No special configuration is needed for that laptop. Should just work
>> out of the box.
>>
>> Is Vista using the whole drive, or just a part with it's one partition?
>> Does the user want to keep Vista running? If so, defrag then backup Vista.
>>
>> Once that's finished, boot from the LiveCD. If Vista is using the whole
>> drive, you will need to shrink it first. Gpartd is good for this.
>> Now the install can begin. Keep an eye on what the installer screens say.
>> When it gets to the partitioning screen, if you want to keep Vista,
>> read the instructions, and used the Guided steps. If not, let it use the
>> whole drive & partition how it likes.
>> Once it's done loading, there shouldn't be any issues.
>>

> Yours is not much longer and does the LiveCD have gparted within? I
> so far always use the manual install because I have made the partitions
> before loading.

Not much longer in the number of lines, but the way it's explained. As
for gpartd, I think it is, but I could be wrong. I'm fairly certain
qtpartd is though.
But as long as there is a network connection with internet access,
getting either via Syaptic or apt-get is a fairly simple matter.

Me? Yeah, I tend to install Windows to only part of the HDD first,
assuming it's even going to be on the drive...

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

"From there to here,