Old 09-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Chad Davis

Default Installation Error - 'asking for cashed data failed'

During the initial portion of an installation on a Dell 2851 Server, after choosing to Install the product this error appears:

*

"asking for cashed data failed"

"assuming drive cash write through"

"asking for cashed data failed"

"assuming drive cash write through"

*

Previously a Raid 1 config existed w/2 drives and Windows Server 2003 Std. Edition installed.

*

No changes to the cofig were made, just booted to the Ubuntu CD.

*

Any takers?

*

Many thanks~

*

S.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Derek Broughton

Chad Davis wrote:

> During the initial portion of an installation on a Dell 2851 Server, after
> choosing to Install the product this error appears:
>
> "asking for cashed data failed"
> "assuming drive cash write through"
> "asking for cashed data failed"
> "assuming drive cash write through"

Does it _really_ say "cash"??? The word is "cache". If you're typing from
memory, please don't - find the messages in "dmesg" or /var/log/syslog, and
cut and paste. If you did cut & paste, somebody should fire the idiot who
coded those messages - and the boss who let it get into production.

That rant aside, I don't see anything there that suggests an error.
--
derek

Old 09-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Chad Davis

Hi Derek,

¬*

Yes, the correct word is cache, thx for catching that.

¬*

Well, error or not, the install does not continue from there...

¬*

Any ideas?

¬*

Thx

¬*

S.

¬*

Old 09-23-2008, 05:57 PM
"Mark Haney"

Chad Davis wrote:
> During the initial portion of an installation on a Dell 2851 Server, after choosing to Install the product this error appears:
>
> "asking for cashed data failed"
> "assuming drive cash write through"
> "asking for cashed data failed"
> "assuming drive cash write through"
>
> Previously a Raid 1 config existed w/2 drives and Windows Server 2003 Std. Edition installed.
>
> No changes to the cofig were made, just booted to the Ubuntu CD.
>
> Any takers?

You say no changes were made to the config, so is Win2k3 still on there?

My guess is Ubuntu isn't playing nice with the RAID card. Can you tell
us what card it is?

In this case, I echo Derek, post the contents of dmesg and let us see
what's going on.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 09-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Derek Broughton

Chad Davis wrote:

> Hi Derek,
>
> Yes, the correct word is cache, thx for catching that.
>
> Well, error or not, the install does not continue from there...
>
> Any ideas?

Yes, as I said, post the log. That's not an error, so something else must
be...
--
derek

Old 09-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Chad Davis

Hi Derek, I appreciate your time.

*

How do you get the log if it's just seconds into the installation?
*
The only information I seem to be able to capture is what's displayed:

*

"asking for cache data failed"
"assuming drive cache write through"
"asking for cache data failed"
"assuming drive cache write through"

Another member suggested*a possible incompatibility*with my RAID card...

*

Thx again,

*

S.*
*
*
*

Old 09-24-2008, 01:19 AM
Derek Broughton

Chad Davis wrote:

> Hi Derek, I appreciate your time.
>
> How do you get the log if it's just seconds into the installation?

I was afraid that's what you meant. The log is available, but it could be
pretty tricky to get it where you need it. Try using Ctrl-Alt-F1,
Ctrl-Alt-F2, etc (up to F6) to see if you can find a console with messages
on it. It's a long time since I did an install...

> The
> only information I seem to be able to capture is what's displayed:
>
> "asking for cache data failed""assuming drive cache write through""asking
> for cache data failed""assuming drive cache write through"Another member
> suggested a possible incompatibility with my RAID card...

It could be, but the fact that it says "assuming..." tells me that it
doesn't consider the lack of cache to be an actual error, and somewhere
there should be something telling you what the real error is (now, I
suspect your problem _is_ with the raid, but just think it must be later
than this).
--
derek