Old 09-24-2008, 05:49 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Default send email from command line

Old 09-24-2008, 07:41 AM
Erik Christiansen

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 10:43:52PM +0200, mierda tuti wrote:
> Sorry I don't explain too well.
>
> I would like to send e-mail outside of my lan, to send email to for example
> to someone gmail email

Hopefully advice already posted helps with the broader concerns.
I'll just clarify that the previous example:

echo "They all had spots" | mail -s "Myscript had kittens" erik

used a local destination only as a hint to test that first, both as
a learning exercise, and to see if any problems arise. With that
confidence, the next thing to try would be:

echo "Hope this works" | mail -s "Test" mierdatuti@gmail.com

If you have an MTA installed (typically postfix, on ubuntu), then it
should just work.

What happens when you try these examples?

Erik

--
Why didn't they listen to the warnings about the danger from the Large
Hadron Collider? Immediately they switched it on, the global financial

Old 09-24-2008, 08:44 AM
"Александр Горлов"

This is my 2 cent in this topic.

http://www.tneoh.zoneit.com/perl/SendMail/download/

Mentioned URL is al ink to simply Perl script that sends email via SMTP server

Thanks

Alex

Old 09-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Karl Larsen

Eric Maquiling wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 04:46:14PM -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> it should send that, but I think it is trying to get sendmail to send it
>> and mine is not set up. There should be a way to set the SMTP to be the
>> one we pay for. Does anyone do this or know how? I have these files:
>>
> [...]
> :/ Confused
>
> You want to send mail outside of your company to an outside email? In PINE,
> you can define your SMTP relay.
>
> If you want to send mail via the CL, (mail prez@whitehouse.gov < mytaxes), then
> you need to set up relay in /etc/sendmail.cf
>
> Lots of documentation on how to edit sendmil.mc but if you want quick and dirty
> test it go to the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf:
>
> Line # 116 (in my Ubuntu distro)
> or it'll say: # "Smart" relay host (may be null)
> Add
> DSthesmptrelay_of_your_ISP_PROVIDER
>
> restart sendmail
>
> This is what mine looks like:
>
> # "Smart" relay host (may be null)
> DSsmtp.west.cox.net
>
> The do 'mail -s "test" someonereal@gmail.com < /etc/profile'
> and then
> tail -f /var/log/mail.log
>
> Should look like this:
> Sep 23 15:38:05 ubuntu-1 sm-mta[18506]: m8NMc59p018504:
> to=<someonereal@gmail.com>,
> delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=120702,
> relay=smtp.west.cox.net. [68.6.19.4], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
> (JNfm1a00H0qDha004NfnpV mail accepted for delivery)

Alas Hardy has Exim and your detailed help does not work. I wonder
why people decide to fix sendmail and then just make a confused MESS
more confusing!

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 09-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Erik Christiansen

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 05:55:14AM -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:

> Alas Hardy has Exim and your detailed help does not work. I wonder
> why people decide to fix sendmail and then just make a confused MESS

Oh dear, I wonder whether there is any rational justification for that?
I've accepted that I should discard years of familiarity with sendmail,
because postfix replaced it in ubuntu, and sendmail was said to be less
secure.

However, it is not acceptable for a distro to change MTA whilly-nilly.
The user cost is far too high. In the next decade, I'm planning to stay
with postfix, or change back to sendmail. Dumping the latest
flip-floppery in favour of our preference is the work of a few moments.

So there is little reason why anyone need feel compelled to use exim, is
there?.

Erik

--
The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many of them.
-- Andy Tannenbaum

Old 09-24-2008, 01:07 PM
"Mark Haney"

mierda tuti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well I don't explain to well.
>
> I have kubuntu 8,04 and I would like to send email for example to
> mierdatuti@gmail.com., because I don't know too much about how configure it,
> I 've saw that I have to configure a MTA (like postfix or sendmail) with
> relay host. My relay host is gmail. Could you say me how to configure it?
>
> Many thanks and sorry for my english!

I hate continuing to be the one to ask to not top post. I give up.

Why would you need gmail to be the relay? If you have kubuntu on your
system have it use sendmail locally. If you have an ISP, use their mail
server. I don't understand the point of going through all this just to
send mail to gmail.

If you don't have a GUI on your system and you need to send and receive
email, good grief man, setup pine or mutt. You get the functionality
you need from a text based mail client. Using gmail as an SMTP relay
seems superfluous to me.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 09-24-2008, 01:14 PM
"Mark Haney"

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Eric Maquiling wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 04:46:14PM -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>>

>> delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=120702,
>> relay=smtp.west.cox.net. [68.6.19.4], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
>> (JNfm1a00H0qDha004NfnpV mail accepted for delivery)
>>

> Alas Hardy has Exim and your detailed help does not work. I wonder
> why people decide to fix sendmail and then just make a confused MESS
> more confusing!
>
> Karl

Hardy has Exim and Sendmail. You get to pick and choose what you want
on the system. Sendmail I prefer if I'm not doing anything hardcore.
Exim is great but has limits. Which I won't bore you with technical
details. Besides, why are you even commenting on this problem if you
have nothing to offer to it?

Old 09-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Markus Schnhaber

Erik Christiansen:

> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 05:55:14AM -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>>>
>> Alas Hardy has Exim and your detailed help does not work. I wonder
>> why people decide to fix sendmail and then just make a confused MESS
>
> Oh dear, I wonder whether there is any rational justification for that?
> I've accepted that I should discard years of familiarity with sendmail,
> because postfix replaced it in ubuntu, and sendmail was said to be less
> secure.
>
> However, it is not acceptable for a distro to change MTA whilly-nilly.
> The user cost is far too high. In the next decade, I'm planning to stay
> with postfix, or change back to sendmail. Dumping the latest
> flip-floppery in favour of our preference is the work of a few moments.

I don't see anything whilly-nilly or some kind of flip-floppery here.
Use the MTA you want - there are quite a few to chose from, for example:
$ LANG=C aptitude show mail-transport-agent
No current or candidate version found for mail-transport-agent
Package: mail-transport-agent
State: not a real package
Provided by: courier-mta, esmtp-run, exim4-daemon-heavy,
exim4-daemon-light, masqmail, msmtp-mta, nbsmtp, nullmailer, postfix,
sendmail-bin, smail, ssmtp, xmail
Ubuntu doesn't tell you which MTA you have to use. It's the other way round.

> So there is little reason why anyone need feel compelled to use exim, is
> there?.

If you don't want Exim, use something else. Staying with the Postfix you
already have seems to be a good choice to me.

Regards
mks

Old 09-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Derek Broughton

Ken McLennan wrote:

> G'day there Derek,
>
>> No, there shouldn't. Mail was written by people who believe that mail
>> clients _shouldn't_ speak SMTP, and it _must_ have a sendmail-compatible
>> program to actually deliver the mail

> I've no idea about the pros & cons of mtas. Is there a thumbnail
> version of the argument somewhere? or can you please explain why someone
> would think SMTP should be avoided?

In a word, "No". :-) I've hashed this over so many times with so many
people, without getting a response that makes sense to me. It's just a
Unix meme. From the point of view of a program like "mailx", outputting a
message via SMTP syntax is no different from outputting it to a file - it's
all just I/O - but all the MTA developers I've ever corresponded with
(quite a few, especially since I hung out on the Exim developers list for a
while) swear that it's insane to have a client program need to know SMTP
syntax. I don't see where it makes a difference to have to know SMTP or to
have to know _sendmail_ syntax.
--
derek

Old 09-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Derek Broughton

Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 22:22 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:

>> Mail was written by people who believe that mail
>> clients _shouldn't_ speak SMTP, and it _must_ have a sendmail-compatible
>> program to actually deliver the mail.
>
> The above is one model, but there are mail user agents (MUAs) which can
> speak SMTP. (e.g. Evolution and Thunderbird among others). There is
> nothing in the standards (RFC2821) which prevent an MUA from speaking
> SMTP with a Mail Transport Agent (MTA).

Absolutely not, and personally I'm a big fan of MUAs speaking SMTP.
--
derek