Old 09-23-2008, 02:50 AM
"Mario Spinthiras"

Default keep wireless awake

Has anyone ever used a mac and noticed how the wireless connection remains alive even when you close the puter and it goes to sleep? Everything points out that the mac is asleep while if you open it up again a minute later , you can still keep up where you left off (for example an open ssh connection).

Any way on the theory on this or how to go about it on hardy ?

Regards,
Mario

Old 09-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Derek Broughton

Mario Spinthiras wrote:

> Has anyone ever used a mac and noticed how the wireless connection remains
> alive even when you close the puter and it goes to sleep? Everything
> points out that the mac is asleep while if you open it up again a minute
> later , you can still keep up where you left off (for example an open ssh
> connection).

That's the way ssh connections are supposed to work. It doesn't mean your
wireless connection is still alive.

--
derek

Old 09-23-2008, 06:43 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 10:50 PM, Mario Spinthiras
<spinthiras.mario@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone ever used a mac and noticed how the wireless connection remains
> alive even when you close the puter and it goes to sleep? Everything points
> out that the mac is asleep while if you open it up again a minute later ,
> you can still keep up where you left off (for example an open ssh
> connection).

Nope, it drops. The little airport icon might not update, but it does
drop. Leave it long enough and it won't resume too.

What isn't obvious is that usually it suspends when you close the lid,
then hibernates if the battery gets too low.

Brian

Old 09-23-2008, 07:12 PM
"Mario Spinthiras"

| am absolutely certain that SSH doesnt do this on a Linux machine and to include on that , some functions of the mac do remain alive when you tuck it up for naptime. My question was different , does anyone know how this can be accomplished on a Linux notebook?

Regards,
Mario

Old 09-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Derek Broughton

Mario Spinthiras wrote:

> | am absolutely certain that SSH doesnt do this

"this"? Please quote so we know what you're talking about.

> | on a Linux machine and to
> include on that , some functions of the mac do remain alive when you tuck
> it up for naptime.

How are you so sure? It's conceivable that you aren't really sleeping, it's
also possible that your system can handle "Wake on Lan" (I've never
actually known if that's even possible via wifi), but you're not giving us
any clues as to what's really happening.

> My question was different , does anyone know how this
> can be accomplished on a Linux notebook?

Different from what? When I have an ssh connection working (in Linux), and
I hibernate, I can come back and resume that connection. I absolutely
guarantee that the wireless connection is completely shut down.

I've just gone to a terminal:
# ssh othello
...do stuff...
...hibernate laptop...
- at this point, the laptop is d.e.a.d. No power.
...resume laptop...
And when my connection was restored - after going through dhcp to completely
reconfigure the interface - my connection to "othello" was still there.
--
derek

Old 09-23-2008, 08:39 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Mario Spinthiras
<spinthiras.mario@gmail.com> wrote:
> some functions of the mac do remain alive when you tuck it
> up for naptime.

disclaimer - DATA LOSS MAY RESULT FROM THIS PROCEEDURE

Pull the battery. Then tell me it's keeping a connection alive
without any power....

Brian

PS Yes, this is extreme. And yes, I've heard that it's not
recommended with the latest intel notebooks as they don't hibernate as
reliably as the older G3 and 4 models do. But my point remains....
it's dead Jim.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:26 PM
John Hubbard

Mario Spinthiras wrote:
> | am absolutely certain that SSH doesnt do this on a Linux machine and
> to include on that , some functions of the mac do remain alive when
> you tuck it up for naptime. My question was different , does anyone
> know how this can be accomplished on a Linux notebook?
>
> Regards,
> Mario
If I have an open ssh connection, suspend my kubuntu 7.10 laptop, and
start it back up the ssh connection still works. Things get screwy when
I suspend while connected to 192.168.1.1 on my home network and
reconnect on the work network, but as long as I reconnect to the same
network everything is fine. Is this not the behavior that you want?

--
-john

2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
0b11000100 || !0b11000100
0b11000100 || 0b00111011
0b11111111
255, that is the answer.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 14:26 -0700, John Hubbard wrote:
> Mario Spinthiras wrote:
> > | am absolutely certain that SSH doesnt do this on a Linux machine and
> > to include on that , some functions of the mac do remain alive when
> > you tuck it up for naptime. My question was different , does anyone
> > know how this can be accomplished on a Linux notebook?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mario
> If I have an open ssh connection, suspend my kubuntu 7.10 laptop, and
> start it back up the ssh connection still works. Things get screwy when
> I suspend while connected to 192.168.1.1 on my home network and
> reconnect on the work network, but as long as I reconnect to the same
> network everything is fine. Is this not the behavior that you want?

The default SSH daemon behavior is to turn on TCPKeepAlive
(see /etc/ssh/sshd_config. With this option on, SSH connections will
drop if the remote client is down or unreachable. I suspect you have
this option set to "No" in which case the SSH sessions will stay around
forever, unless explicitly closed by one end of the connection.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

Old 09-23-2008, 11:04 PM
John Hubbard

Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:

> The default SSH daemon behavior is to turn on TCPKeepAlive
> (see /etc/ssh/sshd_config. With this option on, SSH connections will
> drop if the remote client is down or unreachable. I suspect you have
> this option set to "No" in which case the SSH sessions will stay around
> forever, unless explicitly closed by one end of the connection.

Sorry to hijack the thread but this is related. Is there an easy way to
close one of these connections that is forever open from the client end?
Normally I have to kill the task. ctrl+c doesn't do the trick.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 16:04 -0700, John Hubbard wrote:
> Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> >
> > The default SSH daemon behavior is to turn on TCPKeepAlive
> > (see /etc/ssh/sshd_config. With this option on, SSH connections will
> > drop if the remote client is down or unreachable. I suspect you have
> > this option set to "No" in which case the SSH sessions will stay around
> > forever, unless explicitly closed by one end of the connection.
> >
> Sorry to hijack the thread but this is related. Is there an easy way to
> close one of these connections that is forever open from the client end?
> Normally I have to kill the task. ctrl+c doesn't do the trick.

Not sure I understand. Are you trying to kill the sshd process on the
server? If so, you can send the underlying forked shell a HUP signal.
e.g.

kill -HUP <pid>
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell