-   -   Virtual box USB problems (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/164516-virtual-box-usb-problems.html)

"Joep L. Blom" 09-22-2008 10:10 PM

Virtual box USB problems

I recently changed my VMware server for VirtualBox and I'm rather
pleased with it.
However, I have a few problems and maybe more esperienced people can
help me out.
1. When I type settings for an installed guest OS (Windows XP) I get the
following error:
___________________
Could not load the Host USB Proxy Service (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND). The
service might be not installed on the host computer.

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x00004005)
Component: Host
Interface: IHost {489fb370-c227-4d43-9761-ceb28484fd9f}
Callee: IMachine {1e509de4-d96c-4f44-8b94-860194f710ac}
____________________

When I click OK I can change my settings but USB doesn't work.

2. I have a .vdmk file (a guest OS made with VMware) which, according to
the manual could be started. However, I only get a black screen. Guest
OS is Windows XP

System details:
AMD64 1GB mem, sufficient diskspace. VirtualBox 2.0.0 (not upgraded as I
read there were some problems with 2.0.2) Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.
Linux 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Aug 20 17:53:40 UTC 2008 x86_64

Does anybody know what the problem is and how to achieve a workaround?
Joep

NoOp 09-22-2008 11:29 PM

Virtual box USB problems

On 09/22/2008 03:10 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> I recently changed my VMware server for VirtualBox and I'm rather
> pleased with it.
> However, I have a few problems and maybe more esperienced people can
> help me out.
> 1. When I type settings for an installed guest OS (Windows XP) I get the
> following error:
> ___________________
> Could not load the Host USB Proxy Service (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND). The
> service might be not installed on the host computer.
>
> Result Code:
> NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x00004005)
> Component: Host
> Interface: IHost {489fb370-c227-4d43-9761-ceb28484fd9f}
> Callee: IMachine {1e509de4-d96c-4f44-8b94-860194f710ac}
> ____________________
>
> When I click OK I can change my settings but USB doesn't work.
>
> 2. I have a .vdmk file (a guest OS made with VMware) which, according to
> the manual could be started. However, I only get a black screen. Guest
> OS is Windows XP
>
> System details:
> AMD64 1GB mem, sufficient diskspace. VirtualBox 2.0.0 (not upgraded as I
> read there were some problems with 2.0.2) Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.
> Linux 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Aug 20 17:53:40 UTC 2008 x86_64
>
> Does anybody know what the problem is and how to achieve a workaround?
> Joep

I'd suggest http://virtualbox.org/wiki/Community
seriously... you'll find folks on the mailing list and the forums that
can quickly assist.

Derek Broughton 09-23-2008 01:11 PM

Virtual box USB problems

NoOp wrote:

> On 09/22/2008 03:10 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:

>> Could not load the Host USB Proxy Service (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND). The
>> service might be not installed on the host computer.
>>

> I'd suggest http://virtualbox.org/wiki/Community
> seriously... you'll find folks on the mailing list and the forums that
> can quickly assist.

Specifically, your /proc/bus/usb/* needs to be writable by the vboxusers
group - it isn't in Ubuntu, and even with the help of the virtualbox
community I haven't been able to figure out the correct udev rules to make
it boot that way.
--
derek

"Mr Shunz" 09-23-2008 01:59 PM

Virtual box USB problems

> Specifically, your /proc/bus/usb/* needs to be writable by the vboxusers
> group - it isn't in Ubuntu, and even with the help of the virtualbox
> community I haven't been able to figure out the correct udev rules to make
> it boot that way.

this worked for me (Ubuntu 8.04):

open /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh

go to the section that says:

#
# Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work
#

uncomment the lines that follow ...

obviusly, add yourself to vboxusers group...

cheers...

Nils Kassube 09-23-2008 02:14 PM

Virtual box USB problems

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Specifically, your /proc/bus/usb/* needs to be writable by the
> vboxusers group - it isn't in Ubuntu, and even with the help of the
> virtualbox community I haven't been able to figure out the correct udev
> rules to make it boot that way.

Instead of udev I use an entry in "/etc/fstab". It looks like this:

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=1002,devmode=664 0 0

But replace the 1002 with the group ID for vboxusers on your machine. You
could use this command to make the entry:

echo "none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=$(grep '^vboxusers' /etc/group|
cut -d: -f3),devmode=664 0 0"|sudo tee -a /etc/fstab

Nils

NoOp 09-23-2008 02:42 PM

Virtual box USB problems

On 09/23/2008 06:11 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 09/22/2008 03:10 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>
>>> Could not load the Host USB Proxy Service (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND). The
>>> service might be not installed on the host computer.
>>>

>> I'd suggest http://virtualbox.org/wiki/Community
>> seriously... you'll find folks on the mailing list and the forums that
>> can quickly assist.
>
> Specifically, your /proc/bus/usb/* needs to be writable by the vboxusers
> group - it isn't in Ubuntu, and even with the help of the virtualbox
> community I haven't been able to figure out the correct udev rules to make
> it boot that way.

Does this not work for you?
http://virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ
[USB on Ubuntu/Gutsy]
or
http://virtualbox.org/wiki/User_HOWTOS
http://virtualbox.org/wiki/USB_on_Ubuntu_7.04

I also have this in my /etc/fstab:

## usbfs is the USB group in fstab file - use $ grep vbox /etc/group for
devgid
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=111,devmode=664 0 0

Without it I get the "Failed to create a proxy device..." (I just tested
by commenting out the line in fstab).

See "11.5.7 USB not working" in the VB Manual (page 147).

Also see:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/virtualbox/+bug/156085
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/virtualbox/+bug/151585
[USB Devices unrecognised by virtualbox (/proc/bus/usb missing)]
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/747
[USB failure with Ubuntu Gutsy]

"Joep L. Blom" 09-23-2008 02:56 PM

Virtual box USB problems

Derek Broughton schreef:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 09/22/2008 03:10 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>
>>> Could not load the Host USB Proxy Service (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND). The
>>> service might be not installed on the host computer.
>>>
>> I'd suggest http://virtualbox.org/wiki/Community
>> seriously... you'll find folks on the mailing list and the forums that
>> can quickly assist.
>
> Specifically, your /proc/bus/usb/* needs to be writable by the vboxusers
> group - it isn't in Ubuntu, and even with the help of the virtualbox
> community I haven't been able to figure out the correct udev rules to make
> it boot that way.
Derek, I will keep you (and the list) informed. I have found some
instructions to do it but it needs my system to be restarted and I
haven't had the tine to do so.
Network and even sound works- although it is too low in volume - but if
USB will work I like it better than VMware and I unstalled it using
synaptic.
Joep

Derek Broughton 09-23-2008 05:08 PM

Virtual box USB problems

Mr Shunz wrote:

>> Specifically, your /proc/bus/usb/* needs to be writable by the vboxusers
>> group - it isn't in Ubuntu, and even with the help of the virtualbox
>> community I haven't been able to figure out the correct udev rules to
>> make it boot that way.
>
> this worked for me (Ubuntu 8.04):
>
> open /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
>
> go to the section that says:
>
> #
> # Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work
> #
>
> uncomment the lines that follow ...
>
> obviusly, add yourself to vboxusers group...

Yeah, that's the method I've used but it's _wrong_. As opposed to just
chmod'ing the nodes, it _will_ work at next boot, but it breaks again the
next time your "initscripts" package is upgraded (because mountdevsubfs.sh
is part of that package, and Ubuntu's version will overwrite it - and if
you're remotely like me, you've forgotten what to do to fix the problem by
the time that happens).

So I've found two options that work by modifying udev - which I can set up
to always work ahead of anything installed by Ubuntu - but neither of
those, or my attempt at modification, is actually working :-(
--
derek

Derek Broughton 09-23-2008 05:09 PM

Virtual box USB problems

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Specifically, your /proc/bus/usb/* needs to be writable by the
>> vboxusers group - it isn't in Ubuntu, and even with the help of the
>> virtualbox community I haven't been able to figure out the correct udev
>> rules to make it boot that way.
>
> Instead of udev I use an entry in "/etc/fstab". It looks like this:
>
> none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=1002,devmode=664 0 0

OK, that's a decent idea - it won't get wiped by the next upgrade of
initscripts. Thanks.
--
derek

Derek Broughton 09-23-2008 05:20 PM

Virtual box USB problems

NoOp wrote:

> On 09/23/2008 06:11 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:

>>> I'd suggest http://virtualbox.org/wiki/Community
>>> seriously... you'll find folks on the mailing list and the forums that
>>> can quickly assist.
>>
>> Specifically, your /proc/bus/usb/* needs to be writable by the vboxusers
>> group - it isn't in Ubuntu, and even with the help of the virtualbox
>> community I haven't been able to figure out the correct udev rules to
>> make it boot that way.
>

> Does this not work for you?
> http://virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ
> [USB on Ubuntu/Gutsy]

No. When I first used VBox, the mountdevsubfs.sh script actually had the
correct lines commented out. The version I have now
(initscripts=2.86.ds1-14.1ubuntu45), didn't. So you can certainly fix the
script, but it gets regressed when initscripts is updated.

> or
> http://virtualbox.org/wiki/User_HOWTOS
> http://virtualbox.org/wiki/USB_on_Ubuntu_7.04

That's one of the udev solutions I found, which didn't work for me (changing
their group "usbusers" to "vboxusers"). I'm sure that's the right
approach, but I haven't figured out the correct rule yet (7.04 is almost 18
months ago - udev is still very much developing).

--
derek