Old 09-23-2008, 07:47 PM
NoOp

Default Virtual box USB problems

On 09/23/2008 10:09 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>> Specifically, your /proc/bus/usb/* needs to be writable by the
>>> vboxusers group - it isn't in Ubuntu, and even with the help of the
>>> virtualbox community I haven't been able to figure out the correct udev
>>> rules to make it boot that way.
>>
>> Instead of udev I use an entry in "/etc/fstab". It looks like this:
>>
>> none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=1002,devmode=664 0 0
>
> OK, that's a decent idea - it won't get wiped by the next upgrade of
> initscripts. Thanks.

See "11.5.7 USB not working" in the VB Manual (page 147).

:-)

Old 09-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Nils Kassube

NoOp wrote:
> On 09/23/2008 10:09 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > Nils Kassube wrote:
> >> none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=1002,devmode=664 0 0
> >
> > OK, that's a decent idea - it won't get wiped by the next upgrade of
> > initscripts. Thanks.
>
> See "11.5.7 USB not working" in the VB Manual (page 147).

Visual Basic manual?!?? OK, I know you meant VirtualBox manual - probably
that's where I found it a long time ago

Nils

Old 09-23-2008, 08:41 PM
NoOp

On 09/23/2008 01:07 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> >
>> > OK, that's a decent idea - it won't get wiped by the next upgrade of
>> > initscripts. Thanks.
>>
>> See "11.5.7 USB not working" in the VB Manual (page 147).
>
> Visual Basic manual?!?? OK, I know you meant VirtualBox manual - probably
> that's where I found it a long time ago
>

> Nils

Yeah, ok: VBox manual? At least I didn't suggest editing
/etc/resolv.conf in that one :-)

For Derek:
<quote>
11.5.7 USB not working
If USB is not working on your Linux host, make sure that the current
user has permission to access the USB filesystem (usbfs), which
VirtualBox relies on to retrieve valid information about your host’s USB
devices.
As usbfs is a virtual filesystem, a chmod on /proc/bus/usb has no
effect. The permissions for usbfs can therefore only be changed by
editing the /etc/fstab file.
For example, most Linux distributions have a user group called usb or
similar, of which the current user must be a member. To give all users
of that group access to usbfs, make sure the following line is present:
# 85 is the USB group
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=85,devmode=664 0 0
Replace 85 with the group ID that matches your system (search /etc/group
for “usb” or similar).
</quote>

I just add the comment to be:

# usbfs is the USB group in fstab file - use $ grep vbox /etc/group for
devgid

so I don't forget how I got the devgid in the first place.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

NoOp wrote:
> On 09/23/2008 01:07 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>>> See "11.5.7 USB not working" in the VB Manual (page 147).
>> Visual Basic manual?!?? OK, I know you meant VirtualBox manual -
>> probably that's where I found it a long time ago
>>

>> Nils
>>

> Yeah, ok: VBox manual? At least I didn't suggest editing
> /etc/resolv.conf in that one :-)
>
> For Derek: <quote> 11.5.7 USB not working If USB is not working on
> your Linux host, make sure that the current user has permission to
> access the USB filesystem (usbfs), which VirtualBox relies on to
> retrieve valid information about your host’s USB devices. As usbfs
> is a virtual filesystem, a chmod on /proc/bus/usb has no effect.
> The permissions for usbfs can therefore only be changed by editing
> the /etc/fstab file. For example, most Linux distributions have a
> user group called usb or similar, of which the current user must be
> a member. To give all users of that group access to usbfs, make
> sure the following line is present: # 85 is the USB group none
> /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=85,devmode=664 0 0 Replace 85 with the
> group ID that matches your system (search /etc/group for “usb” or
> similar). </quote>
>
> I just add the comment to be:
>
> # usbfs is the USB group in fstab file - use $ grep vbox /etc/group
> for devgid
>
> so I don't forget how I got the devgid in the first place.

I had this same problem back when I was first installing vBox and
wondering why I had no access to my USB devices. I'll have to look
up my notes later tonight on what I did to resolve it -- which was
achieved with the help of this list and the vBox list.
NP: HP Lovecraft "A shadow over Innsmouth" (radio play)

Old 09-24-2008, 12:35 AM
"Mumia W."

On 09/23/2008 12:08 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Mr Shunz wrote:
>
>>> Specifically, your /proc/bus/usb/* needs to be writable by the vboxusers
>>> group - it isn't in Ubuntu, and even with the help of the virtualbox
>>> community I haven't been able to figure out the correct udev rules to
>>> make it boot that way.
>> this worked for me (Ubuntu 8.04):
>>
>> open /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
>>
>> go to the section that says:
>>
>> #
>> # Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work
>> #
>>
>> uncomment the lines that follow ...
>>
>> obviusly, add yourself to vboxusers group...
>
> Yeah, that's the method I've used but it's _wrong_. As opposed to just
> chmod'ing the nodes, it _will_ work at next boot, but it breaks again the
> next time your "initscripts" package is upgraded (because mountdevsubfs.sh
> is part of that package, and Ubuntu's version will overwrite it - and if
> you're remotely like me, you've forgotten what to do to fix the problem by
> the time that happens).
>
> So I've found two options that work by modifying udev - which I can set up
> to always work ahead of anything installed by Ubuntu - but neither of
> those, or my attempt at modification, is actually working :-(

Can't you place a command to set the desired ownership into
/etc/init.d/rc.local?

Old 09-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Derek Broughton

Mumia W. wrote:

>>> this worked for me (Ubuntu 8.04):
>>>
>>> open /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
>>>
>>> go to the section that says:
>>>
>>> #
>>> # Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work
>>> #
>>>
>>> uncomment the lines that follow ...
>>>
>>> obviusly, add yourself to vboxusers group...
>>
>> Yeah, that's the method I've used but it's _wrong_. As opposed to just
>> chmod'ing the nodes, it _will_ work at next boot, but it breaks again the
>> next time your "initscripts" package is upgraded (because
>> mountdevsubfs.sh is part of that package, and Ubuntu's version will
>> overwrite it - and if you're remotely like me, you've forgotten what to
>> do to fix the problem by the time that happens).
>>
>> So I've found two options that work by modifying udev - which I can set
>> up to always work ahead of anything installed by Ubuntu - but neither of
>> those, or my attempt at modification, is actually working :-(
>
> Can't you place a command to set the desired ownership into
> /etc/init.d/rc.local?

Well, not if the bit of the manual that NoOp quoted to the effect that you
can't chmod a virtual filesystem is true. I don't actually think it is...
--
derek

Old 09-24-2008, 01:07 PM
"Mr Shunz"

[snip]
>>> Yeah, that's the method I've used but it's _wrong_. As opposed to just
>>> chmod'ing the nodes, it _will_ work at next boot, but it breaks again the
>>> next time your "initscripts" package is upgraded (because
>>> mountdevsubfs.sh is part of that package, and Ubuntu's version will
>>> overwrite it - and if you're remotely like me, you've forgotten what to
>>> do to fix the problem by the time that happens).

that's true ...

[snip]
>> Can't you place a command to set the desired ownership into
>> /etc/init.d/rc.local?
>
> Well, not if the bit of the manual that NoOp quoted to the effect that you
> can't chmod a virtual filesystem is true. I don't actually think it is...

well, i just tried copying the relevant lines form
/etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh to rc.local and it worked ...

maybe not the most elgant solution but ...

cheers

Old 09-24-2008, 08:35 PM
"Mumia W."

On 09/23/2008 08:13 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Mumia W. wrote:

>>> Yeah, that's the method I've used but it's _wrong_. As opposed to just
>>> chmod'ing the nodes, it _will_ work at next boot, but it breaks again the
>>> next time your "initscripts" package is upgraded (because
>>> mountdevsubfs.sh is part of that package, and Ubuntu's version will
>>> overwrite it - and if you're remotely like me, you've forgotten what to
>>> do to fix the problem by the time that happens).
>>>
>>> So I've found two options that work by modifying udev - which I can set
>>> up to always work ahead of anything installed by Ubuntu - but neither of
>>> those, or my attempt at modification, is actually working :-(
>> Can't you place a command to set the desired ownership into
>> /etc/init.d/rc.local?
>
> Well, not if the bit of the manual that NoOp quoted to the effect that you
> can't chmod a virtual filesystem is true. I don't actually think it is...

I have no doubt that you can chmod files within a tmpfs virtual
filesystem tree. As far as the root of the tree is concerned, chmoding
that seems to work too--at least for tmpfs.

However, I've never tried that with usbdevfs, and never using
virtualization.