Old 09-19-2008, 09:52 AM
"Karthikeyan"

Default Ubuntu supports IBM server x3610?

Hi all,

We are new to ubuntu platform. We are using red-hat products right now. We
heard that ubuntu is good for servers as well as desktops.

As a trail we have downloaded ubuntu server 8.04 and installed on a desktop.
It is running fine. I did not face any issue during the installation and
configuration.

Recently we purchased a IBM server x3610 and spent lot of time (appx. 3
weeks) to setup web server. We are going to put this server in production by
next week end. Between we heard about ubuntu server and tried on desktop
machine.

We have plan to use ubuntu for this server. I have some doubts.

1. Will ubuntu support IBM server x3610 hardware configuration by default?
or Will it require any additional effort( like downloading installing /
online updating) to install ubuntu on IBM server x3610?

2. Is ubunto server comes with GUI (GNOME/KDE) (I installed GNOME package
via online when I install it on desktop)?

We are very near to dead line to release this server. Please reply as soon
as possible.

Thank you,
N Karthikeyan