Old 09-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Govind

Default Package Manager problems

Greetings all,

I am running the following,

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, 2.6.24-21-386 #1 i686.

I recently tried updating and it fails to update kdelibs-data.
I get the following error:

dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1_all.deb
(--unpack):
trying to overwrite
`/usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.rn-realmedia.desktop', which is
also in package realplay
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
/var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1_all.deb
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdelibs4c2a:
kdelibs4c2a depends on kdelibs-data (>> 4:3.5.10); however:
Package kdelibs-data is not installed.
kdelibs4c2a depends on kdelibs-data (<< 4:3.5.11); however:
Package kdelibs-data is not installed.
dpkg: error processing kdelibs4c2a (--configure):

I tried removing kdelibs as well and also tried forcing an install
however with success.
I have realplayer installed seperately from the real website.
I moved that file ($PWD/vnd.rn-realmedia.desktop) but still there is no effect.
I also do not have any realplay process running while the package
manager is running
(checked using ps -ef | grep realplay)

Any pointers will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Regards
Govind

Old 09-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Florian Diesch

Govind <sgovind@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am running the following,
>
> Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, 2.6.24-21-386 #1 i686.
>
> I recently tried updating and it fails to update kdelibs-data.
> I get the following error:
>
> dpkg: error processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1_all.deb
> (--unpack):
> trying to overwrite
> `/usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.rn-realmedia.desktop', which is
> also in package realplay
> dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
> /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1_all.deb
> A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdelibs4c2a:
> kdelibs4c2a depends on kdelibs-data (>> 4:3.5.10); however:
> Package kdelibs-data is not installed.
> kdelibs4c2a depends on kdelibs-data (<< 4:3.5.11); however:
> Package kdelibs-data is not installed.
> dpkg: error processing kdelibs4c2a (--configure):
> dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>
> I tried removing kdelibs as well and also tried forcing an install
> however with success.
> I have realplayer installed seperately from the real website.
> I moved that file ($PWD/vnd.rn-realmedia.desktop) but still there is
> no effect.

The package database still has an entry for this file so removing the
file doesn't help.

> I also do not have any realplay process running while the package
> manager is running
> (checked using ps -ef | grep realplay)
>
> Any pointers will be very much appreciated.

dpkg-divert could help, see "man dpkg-divert"

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>