Old 09-19-2008, 03:43 PM
NoOp

Default Real Player, WAS Relicensing the AMR codec for inclusion in Ubuntu

On 09/18/2008 11:46 PM, Chris Jeffries wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 02:08 +0100, ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com
> wrote:
>>
>> Seems reasonably well behaved. Besides... it's pretty unlikely
>> that RP
>> can take over much of anything on linux. You could of course
>> just run
>> the Helix OSS software upon which RP linux is based:
>

> I remember those horrible versions of Real player too.
>
> I HAD to install it on my Ubuntu because I wanted to listen to BBC
> broadcasts. Helix just would not work.
>
> I can confirm that it is NOT the horrible beast it once was. OTOH, I
> would much rather be using open source if I could - however, compared to
> BBC I am a very small fish.

I see. Do you by chance use Adobe Reader, Flash, or Shockwave Flash,
Sun's Java 1.6x JRE, Google's Picasa or Google Earth, Skype, Win32
codecs, various wireless printer & video drivers, etc? How about
medibuntu's ffmpeg, mencoder, or mplayer versions (which do contain amr
codecs) or amarok (AAC-LC - .m4a supported)...

Old 09-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

Chris Jeffries wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 02:08 +0100,
> ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
>>
>> Seems reasonably well behaved. Besides... it's pretty unlikely
>> that RP can take over much of anything on linux. You could of
>> course just run the Helix OSS software upon which RP linux is
>> based:
>

> I remember those horrible versions of Real player too.
>
> I HAD to install it on my Ubuntu because I wanted to listen to BBC
> broadcasts. Helix just would not work.
>
> I can confirm that it is NOT the horrible beast it once was. OTOH,
> I would much rather be using open source if I could - however,
> compared to BBC I am a very small fish.
>
> Chris.

I still have problems on Hardy 8.04 AMD64 when I listen to the BBC 5
Live Test Match Special realmedia mode feed in Helix. Also the
Windows media mode feed, which is better but prone to abruptly cutting
out and not auto-recovering. Though having said that, it's *much*
better than it used to be, and the WM feed seems to work very well on
my old laptop running i386 Xubuntu Hardy 8.04.
NP: nothing