Old 09-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Job Evers

Default Dual Monitors with Radeon HD 2400 Pro

Subject changed.

Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> However, perhaps https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config will be helpful.

I gave that a shot. When I started up X, it gave me my good old
mirrored/cloned display.

I was confused about one part:

> The third is the name of your device's output name. In the above, it
> is "Monitor-VGA-0", but it could be "Monitor-VGA0" or something. Look
> at the output of xrandr to see what name your graphics driver uses.

I don't see anything in the output (pasted below) that looks like
Monitor-VGA-0.

Here is my xorg.conf:

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Right Monitor"
Option "Right Of" "Left Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Left Monitor"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "fglrx"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Option "Monitor-VGA-0" "Left Monitor"
Option "Monitor-DVI-0" "Right Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Defaultdepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Virtual 2880 900
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
EndSection

Also, here is the output from xrandr:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1440 x 900, maximum 2880 x 900
default connected 1440x900+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1440x900 60.0*
1280x768 60.0
1280x720 60.0
1152x864 75.0 70.0 60.0
1024x768 75.0 72.0 70.0 60.0
800x600 75.0 72.0 70.0 60.0 56.0
720x480 60.0
640x480 75.0 72.0 60.0
640x432 60.0
640x400 75.0 60.0
512x384 75.0 60.0
400x300 75.0 60.0
320x240 75.0 60.0
320x200 75.0 60.0
2880x900 60.0

Thanks in advance for all the help.

-Job

Old 09-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 06:18:41 -0500
Job Evers <jobevers@gmail.com> wrote:

> Subject changed.
>
> Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> > However, perhaps https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config will be helpful.
>
> I gave that a shot. When I started up X, it gave me my good old
> mirrored/cloned display.
>
> I was confused about one part:
>
> > The third is the name of your device's output name. In the above, it
> > is "Monitor-VGA-0", but it could be "Monitor-VGA0" or something. Look
> > at the output of xrandr to see what name your graphics driver uses.
>
> I don't see anything in the output (pasted below) that looks like
> Monitor-VGA-0.

I think that part is out of date. Per
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver
which is for ati video cards, you should be able to use any name you
want to for the monitors.

> Here is my xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Files"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"
> Load "glx"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
> Driver "kbd"
> Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
> Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
> Option "XkbLayout" "us"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Configured Mouse"
> Driver "mouse"
> Option "CorePointer"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Right Monitor"
> Option "Right Of" "Left Monitor"
> Option "DPMS" "true"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Left Monitor"
> Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
> Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
> Option "DPMS" "true"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> Driver "fglrx"
> BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
> Option "Monitor-VGA-0" "Left Monitor"
> Option "Monitor-DVI-0" "Right Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> Device "Configured Video Device"
> Defaultdepth 24
> SubSection "Display"
> Viewport 0 0
> Depth 24
> Virtual 2880 900
> EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
> Identifier "Default Layout"
> Screen "Default Screen"
> InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
> InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
> EndSection
>
> Also, here is the output from xrandr:
>
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1440 x 900, maximum 2880 x 900
> default connected 1440x900+0+0 0mm x 0mm
> 1440x900 60.0*
> 1280x768 60.0
> 1280x720 60.0
> 1152x864 75.0 70.0 60.0
> 1024x768 75.0 72.0 70.0 60.0
> 800x600 75.0 72.0 70.0 60.0 56.0
> 720x480 60.0
> 640x480 75.0 72.0 60.0
> 640x432 60.0
> 640x400 75.0 60.0
> 512x384 75.0 60.0
> 400x300 75.0 60.0
> 320x240 75.0 60.0
> 320x200 75.0 60.0
> 2880x900 60.0
>
> Thanks in advance for all the help.
>
> -Job

Here is another page on the community help wiki that might help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Video

Basically, they refer you back to the ati page for dual head (dual
monitor), https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver#MergedFB

You may need to define 2 screens in the "ServerLayout" section. I only
see one screen defined now, which may be why they are clones.

good luck,

- --
Charlie Kravetz

Old 09-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Pastor JW

On Friday 19 September 2008 4:18:41 am Job Evers wrote:
> Subject changed.
> I was confused about one part:
> > The third is the name of your device's output name. In the above, it
> > is "Monitor-VGA-0", but it could be "Monitor-VGA0" or something. Look
> > at the output of xrandr to see what name your graphics driver uses.
>
> I don't see anything in the output (pasted below) that looks like
> Monitor-VGA-0.

Seventh section the fourth entry!

Old 09-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Job Evers

Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> Here is another page on the community help wiki that might help:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Video
>
> Basically, they refer you back to the ati page for dual head (dual
> monitor), https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver#MergedFB

Charlie - thanks a ton for your help. Unfortunately, this is where I
just start to get confused - there are so many options. I don't know
which is best, which will work or which I'm using incorrectly.

As I understand it, I can choose to use either the proprietary driver
(fglrx - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI) or the
open source driver (ati - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver)

As a note, I'm currently using the prop driver.

Then, from there I seem to have a couple of different options to try to
get dual-head support
Prop. Driver:
-xrandr: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config
-BigDesktop: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1773544

Open Source driver:
-xrandr
-MergedFB: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver#MergedFB or

So, I've tried the instructions for BigDesktop using the prop driver;
that hasn't worked.
I've tried the instructions for XRandR, and that hasn't worked.

I'd prefer to stick with the proprietary driver (as it scares me a bit
to have to go through the process of removing it, install the
open-source driver and then hope it works)

> You may need to define 2 screens in the "ServerLayout" section. I only
> see one screen defined now, which may be why they are clones.

I don't have a good understanding of how X configuration works (who
really does... the documentation is intense), so I don't understand what
exactly it would do to put a second screen in the ServerLayout?
(should the documentation on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config be updated)

> good luck,

I feel like I'll need it.