Old 09-19-2008, 06:32 AM
Chris Jeffries

Default VUE problem -- SOLVED

This problem is fixed. Just posting the solution here to get it in the
archive. (If that is not an appropriate action, sorry)

Just had a little struggle to get VUE (Visual Understanding Environment
from Tufts Uni) to run on Ubuntu.

(VUE is a mind mapper program, a bit like Freemind, but in many ways
more flexible.)

The web site offers a .bin file for Linux, but Ubuntu did not know what
to do with it.

It also offers a .jar file. Now other jar files I have just run. but
this one needs

java -jar /usr/share/VUE/VUE.jar

otherwise it just tries to unpack itself.

Also, do not be tempted to go into full screen mode. If you do, you
cannot get out of it again. (And it splats the same image on every
screen)

Finally, the docs cover Mac OSX and MS Windows, but not Ubuntu/Linux/X.
I found the Mac key sequences more often worked that the MS ones.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Derek Broughton

Chris Jeffries wrote:

> This problem is fixed. Just posting the solution here to get it in the
> archive. (If that is not an appropriate action, sorry)
>
> Just had a little struggle to get VUE (Visual Understanding Environment
> from Tufts Uni) to run on Ubuntu.
>
> (VUE is a mind mapper program, a bit like Freemind, but in many ways
> more flexible.)
>
> The web site offers a .bin file for Linux, but Ubuntu did not know what
> to do with it.
>
> It also offers a .jar file. Now other jar files I have just run. but
> this one needs
>
> java -jar /usr/share/VUE/VUE.jar

It sounds to me as if neither file is built correctly. The .bin is probably
a shell script without a shebang line (I haven't downloaded to check), and
the .jar will execute directly if it has the correct entries in its
manifest.

--
derek