Old 09-18-2008, 09:19 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default Relicensing the AMR codec for inclusion in Ubuntu

I have requested from th 3GPP organization to relicense the AMR codec
so that it can be included in Ubuntu and other Linux distributions.
They seem very interested and have requested that I fill out a
copyright questionnaire to make a formal request. I am not a lawyer
nor a software engineer, so I would appreciate it if people more
qualified than I would review the document and email me the results.
It is attached to the bug which catalyzed the idea:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ffmpeg/+bug/93849 (comment #14)

Thanks. If you know of other software projects that could benefit from
a relicensing of the AMR codec (pretty much every FOSS Linux
distribution and media player) then please forward to them this
message.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 09-18-2008, 10:47 PM
NoOp

On 09/18/2008 02:19 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I have requested from th 3GPP organization to relicense the AMR codec
> so that it can be included in Ubuntu and other Linux distributions.
> They seem very interested and have requested that I fill out a
> copyright questionnaire to make a formal request. I am not a lawyer
> nor a software engineer, so I would appreciate it if people more
> qualified than I would review the document and email me the results.
> It is attached to the bug which catalyzed the idea:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ffmpeg/+bug/93849 (comment #14)
>
> Thanks. If you know of other software projects that could benefit from
> a relicensing of the AMR codec (pretty much every FOSS Linux
> distribution and media player) then please forward to them this
> message.

I think that you should be aware that Voiceage actually control the
licensing for amr:

http://www.voiceage.com/licamr.php
http://www.voiceage.com/amr_faqs.php
Given the royalty fees involved (http://www.voiceage.com/amr_licterms.php)
I seriously doubt that you will get them to provide it to Ubuntu or
other distro's for free.

I think that RealPlayer 11 (linux) will play amr files (they have
licenced amr (http://www.voiceage.com/amr_licensees.php)

I suppose that you could use amrb & amrwb as well...
Also see:
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/amr

Old 09-18-2008, 10:54 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/9/19 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:
> I think that you should be aware that Voiceage actually control the
> licensing for amr:
>
> http://www.voiceage.com/licamr.php
> http://www.voiceage.com/amr_faqs.php
> Given the royalty fees involved (http://www.voiceage.com/amr_licterms.php)
> I seriously doubt that you will get them to provide it to Ubuntu or
> other distro's for free.

I wonder when 3GPP would have seen fit to mention that

> I think that RealPlayer 11 (linux) will play amr files (they have
> licenced amr (http://www.voiceage.com/amr_licensees.php)

I would rather drown in a septic tank, thank you. I remember RealPlayer well.

> I suppose that you could use amrb & amrwb as well...
> Also see:
> http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/amr

Actually, I do have amr working, but I know that it is a stumbling
block for many people.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 09-18-2008, 11:34 PM
NoOp

On 09/18/2008 03:54 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/9/19 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:

> I would rather drown in a septic tank, thank you. I remember RealPlayer well.

Works well for me. What problems did you have with it?

Old 09-18-2008, 11:48 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/9/19 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:
>> I would rather drown in a septic tank, thank you. I remember RealPlayer well.
>
> Works well for me. What problems did you have with it?

I had ditched realplayer many years ago, before I started keeping
detailed records of my experience with different software. At the time
I was still using Windows, and starting Realplayer was a reliable way
of crashing the OS. There were usability issues as well, in the rare
instances where it would run. I think, but I am not certain, that
Realplayer would be rather intrusive with it's advertising and
installation methods as well. Maybe it is time that I give Realplayer
a second chance on a modern OS, or at the least, maybe it is time that
I curb my slander of the company before updating my facts.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 09-18-2008, 11:58 PM
John Hubbard

NoOp wrote:
> On 09/18/2008 03:54 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>> I would rather drown in a septic tank, thank you. I remember RealPlayer well.
>>

> Works well for me. What problems did you have with it?

I just used it under windows and I remember it trying to take over my
entire computer. It wanted to open everything, manage my downloads and
one time it even tried to wipe my butt. I felt so violated that I swore
to never use it again.
Is is a different beast under linux?

--
-john

2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
0b11000100 || !0b11000100
0b11000100 || 0b00111011
0b11111111
255, that is the answer.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:08 AM
NoOp

On 09/18/2008 04:58 PM, John Hubbard wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 09/18/2008 03:54 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>
>>> I would rather drown in a septic tank, thank you. I remember RealPlayer well.
>>>

>> Works well for me. What problems did you have with it?
>>

> I just used it under windows and I remember it trying to take over my
> entire computer. It wanted to open everything, manage my downloads and
> one time it even tried to wipe my butt. I felt so violated that I swore
> to never use it again.
> Is is a different beast under linux?

Seems reasonably well behaved. Besides... it's pretty unlikely that RP
can take over much of anything on linux. You could of course just run
the Helix OSS software upon which RP linux is based:

http://www.real.com/linux
https://player.helixcommunity.org/

And for Dotan:
https://symbian.helixcommunity.org/
might be of interest.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:15 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/9/19 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:
> I think that you should be aware that Voiceage actually control the
> licensing for amr:
>
> http://www.voiceage.com/licamr.php
> http://www.voiceage.com/amr_faqs.php
> Given the royalty fees involved (http://www.voiceage.com/amr_licterms.php)
> I seriously doubt that you will get them to provide it to Ubuntu or
> other distro's for free.

I will propose a dual-license solution to them. Trolltech does
something similar with Qt, and I am confident that there are other
examples.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 09-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Derek Broughton

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> I would rather drown in a septic tank, thank you. I remember RealPlayer
> well.

Most people actually suffocate first - there's an acute lack of oxygen in
the average septic tank :-)
--
derek